New CM and HDR Wheels Sugestions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeffrey D Mathias

New CM and HDR Wheels Sugestions

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 am

Been trying out the new color and HDR wheels in DR17 beta and have some comments.

+ I notice that without doing anything there is some clipping which I then remove by going into the raw tab and adjusting the exposure - enough so the all the extents are not shown clipping - then I go to HDR wheels and add back exposure with the offset wheel. This does not seem like the way to do things.

+ I noticed that the histogram in the HRD grid does not line up properly with middle gray (which is not indicated, but 100 nits is) not does it align with the 100 nit mark. When exposure is changed in camera or in the raw tab I would expect that the histogram would change horizontally. The HDR exposure adjustment seems to work correctly in changing the vertical of the line. I have not found any way to adjust the horizontal location of the histogram. Also I expect that this histogram would change with changes made to each HDR wheel so maybe a choice of input or output histogram as with the curves. Having the histogram placed properly would help with selecting where to place the controls such as "dark" or "specular" and the others. I would really like to see the histogram align with the "stop" markings as it is adjusted as this would provide more an intuitive feel as to what values zones of the image are in or going into. (I may add to this more as I continue to use.)

+ One thing I really found nice is the ability to create additional controls and select them on or off. With this I would find it much more helpful if I could adjust the controls while holding the masking buttons. As it is now I can mask, tweak, mask, tweak, but cannot tweak while watching the mask change. Maybe make the mask buttons toggle on and off rather the hold and release.

+ Will there be a way to use the micro panel for HDR wheels or will this require a new panel altogether.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Return to DaVinci Resolve