Organizing database and projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

zvi twersky

Organizing database and projects

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 5:39 am

I've been a long-time Premiere Pro and Edius user (>15 years) and I'm moving to DaVinci Resolve.

I understand how DaVinci Resolve stores projects inside databases. I also understand how to export an archived project and restore an archive. However, I'm not sure how to set all this up for my use.

The way I used to work is that I have many clients; each client has their own project folder that stores their project files. When a client orders a new project, it would go into his project folder.

In DaVinci Resolve, say I create a database called "Production." The way I imagine it would work is that all project files from ALL clients would be displayed together in the Projects window of that database. This, of course, is not the way I'd like to work. I would like to see a list of clients and when clicking on a client, see all of their projects. I assume I can create a database for each client but I sense that this is not a correct workflow. For starters, I would like to use smart bins that would be seen for all client projects but I suspect that that's only possible if all projects are in one database.

Also, I actually think it makes more sense to have one database for all clients.

I know that when you archive a project it gets put into its own folder, which I can put in the client folder but that's done after project completion and doesn't help with the "project window." Also, I have many projects in production at once and shouldn't archive them yet.

So how do I organize clients' project folders?

Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Organizing database and projects

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 10:56 am

In one database use the project manager to create project folders for each client.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

zvi twersky

Re: Organizing database and projects

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 10:59 am

Yes, I found that solution before my post was approved so I didn't have time to retract it. I'll leave it in case it helps someone else in the future. Thank you.

Return to DaVinci Resolve