Shortcut to jump to *end* of clip *in timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jack Daniel Stanley

Shortcut to jump to *end* of clip *in timeline

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 pm

So, yes, down arrow jumps to next cut. But say, for whatever reason I have clip "A" then a space on the timeline where it is not butted up against clip "B". So -- space between clip "A" and "B".

When I down arrow I jump past the end of clip "A" and all the way t o the start of clip "B"

One reason, for example, that I might want to jump to then of end of a clip would to select delete the space between the two clips and hitting delete so "B" jumps back to butt up against "A". Another reason would be to paste something at the end of "A".

I've never encountered an NLE that doesn't jump to the end of a clip when pressing the down arrow, even if there is no clip next to it. So I'm guessing hoping there's something I'm missing.

Thanks
2018 Intel MacBookPro ~ Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB ~ Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1.5GB ~ 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
Blackmagic eGPU ~ Radeon Pro 580, 8GB
External SSD1:Media & Proxies ~ External SSD2:Cache
RESOLVE:18.6.4 ~ macOS:14.1.2

John Paines

Re: Shortcut to jump to *end* of clip *in timeline

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 pm

Jack Daniel Stanley wrote:I've never encountered an NLE that doesn't jump to the end of a clip when pressing the down arrow, even if there is no clip next to it.

And you still haven't. In the situation you've described the playhead jumps to the end of clip A, as you'd expect, with a gap to the right. Am not sure what the trouble is, but make sure the auto-selectors for the track(s) are on.

Jack Daniel Stanley

PostMon Nov 16, 2020 10:47 pm

@#$%^$*! I can't get it to do it now, lol.

I guess I'm only noticing the times it doesn't work. Though I've been working with resolve for a minute. When it happens again I'll experiment with track selection, etc. Then post a video if needed.

Thanks!
2018 Intel MacBookPro ~ Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB ~ Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1.5GB ~ 32GB 2400MHz DDR4
Blackmagic eGPU ~ Radeon Pro 580, 8GB
External SSD1:Media & Proxies ~ External SSD2:Cache
RESOLVE:18.6.4 ~ macOS:14.1.2

tadhgosullivan

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 12:27 am

I would love if the up down arrows ignored the auto-selectors. So many times I've hit the down arrow and been taken ten minutes down the timeline....

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 am

That would complicate navigation for when one wants to ignore certain tracks.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Misha Aranyshev

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 1:55 am

Go to last frame of the clip on timeline: '
Go to first frame of the clip on timeline: ;

Return to DaVinci Resolve