Render In to out on timeline??

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jasonic

Render In to out on timeline??

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 8:40 pm

hello,

long time avid/premiere editor and really liking davinci so far but I'm confused about the rendering or cache workflow. In the other programs if I'm tweaking a complicated section i can set an in to out on the timeline and just render that part so I can see the results very fast but in resolve it seems I make a tweak to to a section and the WHOLE TIMELINE goes red and has to re render which is insanely slow and completely unusable if I'm sitting with clients. Am I missing something or is this the way the workflow is?

thanks

John Paines

Re: Render IN to OUT on timeline??

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:26 pm

No, it's not the workflow, but you haven't supplied many details. R16 renders on a clip basis -- "cached clips" -- which isn't an in/out (or even a vertical) render. Clip caching runs either automatically ("smart") or by user instruction ("user"). I'm not sure why the entire timeline is updating in your case.

R17 added a render in place function, presumably based in in/out, but I haven't seen it, can't comment.

jasonic

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 9:33 pm

thanks. the clip I'm referring to is a compound clip and the top layer inside is a 4k graphic that layers underneath show through in some boxes so maybe that has something to do with it but even if I just add an edit razor cut the clip the whole thing goes red and starts re rendering. it's crazy slow and not sure if this is just how it is at least in 16. I have it set to smart. I've optimized the graphic clip as well. I mean if I'm trying to tweak a timing of a simple transform (x position) with a keyframe why does it lose the whole render. I thought maybe if I add an edit to the compound clip and just basically make the section I'm working on self contained with 2 edit marks it would just re render the little bit but no. at least that's how premiere works

John Paines

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Smart will automatically cache any computational demanding fx, so first of all I'd set cache to "user", and manually select the elements you want to cache. Also look into node caching on the Color page, where you determine where exactly in the chain the cache occurs (after which, there's no caching of changes)

Sorry, can't you advise specifically on the compound clip, not a familiar workflow. In your case, I'd decompose it and see whether you get more control. But R17 may be your answer.

jasonic

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:31 am

Thanks for the reply. Quick question how do I manually select what to cache if I set to user?

Jim Simon

Re: Render In to out on timeline??

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Right click on the clips.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve