Timeline mouse scrolling, up and down multiple tracks

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mart_Williams

Timeline mouse scrolling, up and down multiple tracks

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 10:48 pm

I think there has been a change to the timeline scrolling with mouse and modifier keys. I used to be able to scroll backwards and forwards through the timeline with the mouse wheel and when combined with the Shift key, scroll up and down the video tracks to reveal those obscured where you have multiple tracks.

But now the behaviour has changed, if you have enabled timeline scrolling with the mouse wheel (disabled 2D timeline scroll), then you can't scroll up and down the layer of video tracks at all (apart from clicking and dragging the scroll bar on the right), you used to be able to press "Shift" and scroll the mouse wheel to do that, now that action scrolls the track heights, so they all become thicker or thinner and this doesn't work so well for the way I work. If you have endable 2D timeline scroll, then you need to press "Ctrl" and mouse wheel scroll to move the timeline back and forth, whereas the mouse scroll wheel alone now scrolls up and down the track height and Shift+mouse wheel scroll changes the track heights.

Basically, Blackmagic need to add back in mouse scroll wheel + key modifier to scroll up and down the tracks when you have enabled mouse scroll wheel timeline scrolling - unless I'm missing something.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

Re: Timeline mouse scrolling, up and down multiple tracks

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:52 am

The behavior has indeed changd as part of this item under General:
• Consistent pan, zoom and scroll behavior with mouse and trackpads.
The new timeline scrolling corresponds to mouse-wheel and Ctrl/Cmd+mousewheel for mice and two-fingered scroll gestures (where trackpad support is present) for trackpads. Alternatively you can click on the timeline with the middle mouse and drag it around.

Alt/Option+mouse-wheel and Shift+mouse-wheel actions now affect timeline zooms. teh pinch gesture

And lastly, in the Fairlight page, Shift+Alt/Option+Scroll allows you to zoom clip waveforms without affecting gain.

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 3:37 pm

With 2D unchecked, on Windows I'm seeing CTRL+SHIFT+Wheel do the vertical scrolling.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

modtech

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 8:54 pm

This behavior has changed from DR 16... in 16, with the "Enable 2D Timeline Scroll" un-checked, I was able to use the mouse wheel (without pressing any keys) to scroll horizontally in the edit page. This function still works the same.

However, the VERTICAL scroll used to be SHIFT + Mouse wheel. Now it is SHIFT + CTRL + Mouse Wheel.

Now SHIFT + Mouse Wheel expands the size of the tracks (smaller or bigger). I RARELY use this feature, and I Would much rather it go back to how it was, where SHIFT + Mouse wheel is vertical scrolling, and maybe SHIFT + CTRL + Mouse wheel could resize the tracks...

Anyone know if there is any way to customize/change this? I went through the KB shortcuts, but I don't see any reference to the mouse wheel in there, and I tried mapping it to a random command and it did nothing. Doesn't look like you can map the scroll wheel in the KB shortcut menu.

Thanks!

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 9:40 pm

There's no user setting for this.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

modtech

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 10:52 am

That's a shame... I don't understand why they changed it. I thought the behavior before was perfect. Is there a place where I can file feedback to the dev team about this?

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Chad Terpstra

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 3:55 am

I completely agree. This was how I navigated the timeline before. Now I can barely move around a project. Classic example of fixing what isn't broken. At least they could have enabled scroll behavior options for their users who've spent years in the program to not feel like idiots when upgrading.
Mac Pro 2019 - 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W, 96 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB
QNAP TS-873 8 bay RAID 50 over 10Gbe SFP+
Mac OS 10.15.7
Resolve 16.3

Sean Nelson

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 4:22 am

Chad Terpstra wrote:I completely agree. This was how I navigated the timeline before. Now I can barely move around a project. Classic example of fixing what isn't broken.

As a new user, if the change has made things more consistent across the various pages then I applaud it. Switching from Shift+Mousewheel to Shift+Ctrl+Mousewheel really isn't all that big a deal. I'm already dealing with the difference between Shift+Ctrl+Mousedrag in Resolve and Spacebar+MouseDrag in Premiere to move oversized viewer windows, it's just something you get used to.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Chad Terpstra

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 pm

I hear you. Everyone has different ways of working. Adding another button doesn't sound like a lot, except when it's a button you press dozens of times per minute as you navigate a timeline. It become very cumbersome. It's similar to saying I COULD get used to walking with a weight around one of my ankles, but do I really want to? At the end of the day, I stand behind my request for user-defined options for scrolling.
Best.
Mac OS 10.15.7
Resolve 16.3

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 3:35 pm

One thing you imght consider is eliminating the need to scroll a timeline vertically. A higher res monitor might work. Or dual screens, which allows us to have a full screen timeline (I believe).
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Chad Terpstra

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 4:00 pm

It's sideways scrolling that's at hand here. Shift + scroll allowed you to scroll the timeline side to side. Now it's shift + CONTRL + scroll.
Mac OS 10.15.7
Resolve 16.3

Sean Nelson

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 4:11 pm

You can get a very wide timeline if you have two monitors by un-"maximizing" the Resolve UI window so that you can resize it and then drag it across the two monitors. That might reduce the need for scrolling a bit...? Works on Windows, not sure about Macs, though.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 pm

Chad Terpstra wrote:Shift + scroll allowed you to scroll the timeline side to side.
Holy crap that would be incredibly annoying! Left/Right timeline scroll shouldn't need any modifier. Just the wheel.

You have 2D Timeline Scroll unchecked under the View menu?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Chad Terpstra

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Jim Simon wrote:You have 2D Timeline Scroll unchecked under the View menu?

*head explodes*

Wow, you learn something new every day. That's awesome to know about! So how do you then scroll vertically in the timeline if you have many tracks?
Mac OS 10.15.7
Resolve 16.3

Phil999

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 2:28 am

just an idea ... there are gaming mice with a second scroll wheel. I use the normal scroll wheel for vertical scrolling, and the second scroll wheel for horizontal timeline zoom. Also, this mouse has lots of programmable buttons. I can really recommend such a gaming mouse. I don't play games by the way, but work with a gaming laptop/graphic tablet/3D controller and a gaming mouse/graphic tablet/3D controller on my workstation.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Chad Terpstra wrote:how do you then scroll vertically in the timeline if you have many tracks?
CTRL+SHIFT
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

adam_quadmon

PostSun Feb 26, 2023 11:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:With 2D unchecked, on Windows I'm seeing CTRL+SHIFT+Wheel do the vertical scrolling.

Thanks, this should be the default!

Lucas87

PostTue May 09, 2023 2:40 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:The behavior has indeed changd as part of this item under General:
• Consistent pan, zoom and scroll behavior with mouse and trackpads.
The new timeline scrolling corresponds to mouse-wheel and Ctrl/Cmd+mousewheel for mice and two-fingered scroll gestures (where trackpad support is present) for trackpads. Alternatively you can click on the timeline with the middle mouse and drag it around.

Alt/Option+mouse-wheel and Shift+mouse-wheel actions now affect timeline zooms. teh pinch gesture

And lastly, in the Fairlight page, Shift+Alt/Option+Scroll allows you to zoom clip waveforms without affecting gain.

Your team made Resolve the only app on Mac OS that behaves like this. Every other app on Mac has Shift+Scroll as horizontal scrolling. How about giving us an option to swap the modifier keys??

Return to DaVinci Resolve