Video Clean Feed bug

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

evanfotis

Video Clean Feed bug

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:30 pm

Hello, since 17, there is a bug with displaying video clean feed on a second monitor of different resolution, when there is a 3 monitor setup of various resolutions and rotations.
(in a dual mon setup this does not occur)
I have illustrated the issue in this screen shot.
Main monitor 32" 4K.
On top sits a 47" 1080 monitor for Video clean feed.
Next to the main display sits a third rotated 19" display for extra windows.
Timeline and Monitor settings window are open, as well as display setup on third monitor.
Latest drivers are installed.

Whenever I enable clean feed the image appears cropped in the monitor.
I played around with changing timeline and monitor resolutions to no avail.
It is not even cropped in half as on would expect from a 4K timeline to a 1080 monitor.
As the grid overlay shows, the image displayed on clean feed is 3/4 of width and height.
Trying to send clean feed to rotated display does nothing.

evanfotis

Re: Video Clean Feed bug

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:34 am

Νο suggestions?

Tom Early

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:20 pm

What if you reassign the monitor order at the OS level?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Roger Singh

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 12:53 am

I pretty much have the same setup. Main monitor is 4K 32", second is a rotated monitor, and a third at 1080p used with clean feed, along with a decklink output to another monitor. there has been no issues.

evanfotis

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:51 pm

If clean feed is sent to a monitor with same resolution of main monitor, it works properly.
I just attached my tv as a 4th monitor and it works perfectly. For some reason as the screenshot illustrates it is not displaying properly on the monitor I want.

JayJayAudiovisuals

PostTue May 25, 2021 12:14 am

I still have the same bug, but on my second 4k monitor. I only use two 4k monitors. One 31,5" and the other 28". This doesn't even make the slightest sense. The clean feed on the second monitor is just awfully cropped...
JayJayAudiovisuals, Aachen/Cologne

Brown5x

PostWed May 26, 2021 1:58 pm

I just got this bug, when I upgraded to 17.2 build 11.

A video clean feed to my #2 desktop monitor is offset and cropped as if it were spilling over onto a third "extended desktop" monitor. See attached image.

I have two identical resolution monitors on my desktop and a lower resolution TV monitor on the wall. A video clean feed to the lower-resolution TV monitor still works as intended. I would like to be able to send the clean feed to the higher resolution monitor, as I have done with past versions of DR.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Video clean feed bug on second monitor
Untitled.png (376.08 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

Brown5x

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 pm

Resolve 17.2.1.0012; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER, updated studio driver May 11, 2021.

Video clean feed continues to be offset so the right half of the clean feed is shown on the left half of the monitor, the left half of the clean feed is off screen to the left, and the right half of the monitor shows the desk top.

Sometimes (but usually not) if I minimize/maximize Resolve and then mouse click on the clean feed screen, the clean feed will suddenly display correctly. Also, the clean feed sometimes does not work on the lower resolution monitor now. Feature is broken for me on Windows 10.

highbeamstudios

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 8:02 am

Have the same issue, Just got a 4k monitor to add to my two HD monitors.
I have the 4k monitor as my main center monitor, screen 1 in windows.

If I set monitor 3 (left had one) to show the clean feed it only shows the top right of the image.
Wont even show on monitor 2 (right had side of the main one)

If I mess around with the primary and secondary monitors in Davinci I can get it to work, but then the timeline is on the right monitor and I am unable to right click anything on the 2nd monitor, very strange.

Also noticed if I reduce the 4k monitors resolution the clean feed will work as normal.

And for some reason Davinci sees the monitors differently than windows. So monitor 2 in windows is monitor 3 in resolve. Very weird.

Premiere also has issues much the same as Resolve. Fusion standalone and after effects work fine showing the feed on either monitor.

Is this just a 17 issue? I have a good pc with a 2080ti and updated drivers.

JayJayAudiovisuals

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 am

Got the same issues.
I sent two mails to BMD. Not a single constructive solution or suggestion came up:

Using Davinci Resolve 17 Studio with a Dongle on Win 10 newest version.
My hardware:
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12C/24T)
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Ultra
- 32GB DDR 4 3600
- Samsung SSD 970 Evo (M.2, PCIe)

etc.

Also newest drivers for all components. Especially doublechecked the 2080.
Also restarted PC and tried other projects. Also tried different screen
sets. I tried a thousand things.

What is the reason for this?
Monitors have no issue with any screen set of any other program I use.
None of them has had any problems with anything so far. First try in
Davinci, boom, it crashes after 10-60 seconds.

This is driving my absolute mad. Do you have any ideas what I can do at
this point?

Kind regards

Hi and thanks for getting back to me.

I tried all of this yeah. And a bunch of other stuff. Even old GPU drivers. Nothing helped. The Video Cleanfeed is always only half of the screen or 1/3 or so.

Funny enough I get the clean feed working with a workaround (but only if I use Davinci in 1 screenmode not on 2screens. Then it crashes pretty much immediately) but only on the full HD monitor not on the 2nd 4k Monitor. So some really weird and annoying stuff. I cannot work with this.
The work around is.

1. Clean feed to fullHD monitor -> it's broken, it's only half or so
2. send Clean feed to 2nd 4k Monitor (but only the clean feed, something else will crash it from davinci)
3. send it again to the fullHD -> then it works. but only then

So neither a solution for the clean feed really, not does the 2 screenmode work. But worst of all is, davinci crashes regularly when working on more than 1 screen. (and no other program does it with 3 monitors, and also when the monitors are on, but not used in davinci, then it also does NOT crash. Only when I use the clean feed, and VST window in fairlight, or something else from davinci and drag it to another monitor)

Kind regards.

https://imgur.com/a/bBmj1mI

Mike Warren

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 5:26 am

Just a thought for people experiencing this. Make sure all your monitors are at 100% scaling in Windows. Resolve doesn't play well with monitor scaling.

I don't know if that's the reason, but I get something similar with Premiere if my second video display is set to higher than 100%.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

JayJayAudiovisuals

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 am

Thanks for the tip. Will try that. Also BMD suggested using monitors with the same resolution.

But honestly, that's kind of missing the point here. It's like saying sure there is a way of fixing your car. You just need to remove a couple of components and voila you have a bicycle. Where is the problem?

My point is, I use the scaling for other essential stuff on my system. Not really cool to put it to 100%. Also not cool to just ditch my full HD monitor and only use the two 4k Monitors, since I bought it for the reason of Crosschecking, like my viewers would see it.

highbeamstudios

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 10:23 pm

Yea using monitors with same resolution will obviously fix the issue but not what we needed to hear.

I use blender for my 3d, and viewport renders are almost twice as slow when on a 4k monitor compared to a 2k.

I was hoping to have a 4k for the ui and just use the 2k for cleanfeed from davinci and render previes with blender.

Strange thing is that Fusion Standalone has no issues with different resolutions, it works perfectly fine when showing on a second monitor with a different resolution. So hopefully they can fix it in resolve.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:39 am

Brown5x wrote:I just got this bug, when I upgraded to 17.2 build 11.

A video clean feed to my #2 desktop monitor is offset and cropped as if it were spilling over onto a third "extended desktop" monitor. See attached image.

I have two identical resolution monitors on my desktop and a lower resolution TV monitor on the wall. A video clean feed to the lower-resolution TV monitor still works as intended. I would like to be able to send the clean feed to the higher resolution monitor, as I have done with past versions of DR.

I know that guy!!!
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

mvpmagic09

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:21 pm

TEMP FIX:

I have my timeline and such on my 2K monitor and my clean feed going to a 4k color grading monitor. On windows, under display settings, the scale late out need's to be 100% on your 4k monitor instead of 150%.. this fixes it, but obviously, change it back when you're not using resolve or everything will be super tiny.

I'm running NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super on Windows.

C.T. Bell

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 1:57 pm

I'm experiencing this as well. Edges of the Clean Feed are completely cut off. It's like it's zoomed by 20%.

But it only shows up when in Source View on the Cut page. Once I switch to Timeline View on the cut page, or to the edit page, the problem goes away.

My main monitor is 1440p, my clean feed monitor is 1080p.

Resolve 17.2.2 Build 4
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

Brown5x

Re: Video Clean Feed bug - Summary and an HD Fix

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 pm

Summary

1. The core problem is that Davinci does not support multiple 4k monitors for the Windows operating system. (Blackmagic, please reply and correct me if I am wrong about this.)

2. There is a fix for 1920x1080 projects (not 4k).

More Information

If you're a Windows user and you try to set the Davinci Workspace to multiple 4k monitors, you're in "unsupported" territory, and you may have cropped clean feeds, unrecognized mouse clicks, etc. These problems are NOT caused by an incompatible scaling setting somewhere that you can find and magically fix. The limitation is baked into the Davinci software (at least through Davinci version 17.2.2).

There is a way to completely eliminate the problem. In the Windows settings for Display, downgrade all displays to 1920x1080 scaled at 100%. Now your multi-monitor setup in Windows will be fully supported by Davinci. You can right-click on any screen, and you can send a clean feed to any screen. Everything works if you monitor in HD.

Because my current project delivers at 1920x1080, I have opted for the multiple HD monitor workspace. If you need a 4k workspace, your best option is probably a single 4k monitor.

This is something that Davinci should: (i) fix, and (ii) be transparent about. How many of us have wasted how much time on this?

NickMDal

PostThu Aug 26, 2021 12:59 am

Setting all scaling to 100% solved choppy clean feed viewing on my system. 3 monitors, one 1920x1200 and 2 1080s. All were scaled to 125%. What a relief!
Resolve Studio 18.6
Win 10 Home (22H2) 19045.2728

ASRock X570 Taichi w/TB3 AIC R2.0
ASUS ProArt PA248QV 24.1
2 Acer 1080p LCDs
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB DDR4
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB

Apple ProRes and ProRes RAW
Lots of fast SSDs

BMD Micro Panel

jowtor

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 2:28 am

changing the scaling to 100% also fixed this for me but this is a new bug with 17 as I have never had to do this before.

And honestly, Blackmagic support sucks.

Return to DaVinci Resolve