Audio crackling in Cut and Edit Page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

libertynguyen

Audio crackling in Cut and Edit Page

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:41 am

So I've encountered this audio crackling since Davinci resolve 17 beta 3, then shortly after beta 4 was released and I had hoped it would fix it but it hasn't. This only happens on the cut page and edit page but not the Fairlight page. The audio will work smoothly for about 3-5 seconds before the crackling and distortion kicks in.

I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else and if you have found a solution for it, as now it has halted my video production/editing process to a stop as I can't actually edit the videos with poor audio such as this.

@blackmagic can you please fix this ASAP. As for everything else so far, it all has been working fine with very minor bugs here and there but will all go away once I relaunch the software, this audio problem is the only thing that persists and doesn't go away after a restart.

Thank you

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Audio crackling in Cut and Edit Page

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 am

is your audio source 44.1?
where is it from?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

libertynguyen

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 am

Audio of from my recording through my mic which I recorded in Fairlight section of Davinci Resolve 17. As well as the audio is from clips that I added into the edit page

Allysieh

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 pm

I have a similar problem, but also on the fairlight page. Since Version 17.3 (or 17.4) I have some bad crackling while recording my voiceover. No problems when I do the recording in projects I have started before this two versions. Any advice what I could change?

Will Maynard

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 12:46 am

I just installed Resolve 17 beta 4 and when recording in fairlight from my mic that worked fine in Resolve 16 (plus all tests done today on Windows 10 and independent mic testers on the web). But with Resolve 17 I get serious crackling and my recorded voiceovers are unusable.

fyi, before I installed beta 4 I tried an earlier Resolve 17 beta and I couldn't record ANY audio with the same setup. At least with beta 4 I'm able to record video, though unusable.

Thanks for your help. I have stopped producing videos until this is fixed.

Andrew9235

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 9:56 pm

I am experiencing audio crackling after adjusting EQ on the fairlight page. On the actual Fairlight page everything is fine, the audio sounds amazing and I am very happy with the sound I am getting. However upon returning to the edit page the audio is terrible with cracks and pops all over my voice. Unfortunately this crackling is also present in the render :(

The only way for me to fix this issue is to not adjust EQ in the fairlight tab... which is not idea!

Also, other adjustments from the Fairlight Tab, like adding Noise Reduction or Dynamics, don't cause this cracking effect.

Please help, Blackmagic!

cine.chris

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 pm

I have this issue using the ASIO devices for audio playback and only with DR, other applications and DR renders are OK.
Switching to direct system audio drivers fixes the problem, but I want to have the USB audio working.
My USB interface is a Behringer UMC202 and the clicks are present for headphones or speakers.
System is an ASUS AMD 570 mobo on Win10.
I've tried disconnecting other USB devices with no effect.

cine.chris

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 6:49 pm

Update: info I posted previously (deleted) failed... my problem appeared to be mostly with wav files and initial tests might have been too optimistic.
What I discovered:
My problem was with USB ports on my Ryzen5 system.
Moving files to my older Intel X299 system everything worked perfectly.
Knowing that, I began to suspect the AMD PCH connected USB ports.
On the AMD system, I moved the audio interface connection to the mobo 'front' connected USB ports, USB 3.2 Gen2 and IIRC, connect ahead of the PCH controller.
After reviewing a couple of projects and reboots.
My audio ticks appear to have been cured.

erichK

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 6:04 am

I've suddenly had the same problem with what must be the 10th iteration of a chamber music video. WQorked fine previously. The sound crackles in both cutpage and edit, but is fine in Fairlight. Version 18.1.4 Build 9. I may have inadvertently changed something, but this appears to be a bug.

Return to DaVinci Resolve