Are thumbnails cached in 17?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AndreasOberg

Are thumbnails cached in 17?

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Hiya,
I was wondering if thumbnails are cached in Resolve 17. I cannot install the beta since we are working on all our workstations.

In Resolve 16 it could sometimes take 5-10 minutes every time I would open a project to recreate the thumbnails (from Red 8K source) which was very painful to wait for. While for example Lightroom and FCPX just cached their thumbnails.

Cheers,
Andreas
VFX Director - Visual Forest Ltd

Jim Simon

Re: Are thumbnails cached in 17?

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:03 pm

Looks like they still load fresh each time.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

VioletWolf

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Looks like they still load fresh each time.

That's the default. BUT you can set to cache 'timeline' thumbnails. (Not media pool unfortunately). I expect that will come though. It's a little better with at least the timeline cached.
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Even with that option checked, they still look to be rebuilding fresh.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

VioletWolf

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Yes, it's hard to tell. I'm just working on a small 10 minute thing right now. It "seemed" to make it a little more peppy but it could just be the placebo effect lol
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

AndreasOberg

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 6:20 pm

VioletWolf wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:Looks like they still load fresh each time.

That's the default. BUT you can set to cache 'timeline' thumbnails. (Not media pool unfortunately). I expect that will come though. It's a little better with at least the timeline cached.

I just tested 17.
Aha, to cache the timeline is very useful. Where do you do this?

It is a bit frustrating. We often go through large amount of video files and all the thumbnails in the media pool are gray so you have to wait for each to render. I did a test to render all thumbnails in a normal media pool and it took TEN minutes. This gets even more frustrating if Resolve crashes a few time since you need then to rebuild the thumbnails every time.
Great with the timeline though.

Best,
Andreas

VioletWolf

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 8:13 pm

AndreasOberg wrote:\

I just tested 17.
Aha, to cache the timeline is very useful. Where do you do this?
Best,
Andreas

It's in project settings under General Options / Color: "Save Timeline Thumbnails With Project"

It's annoying that it's a project setting that must be turned on with each project though.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 pm

That's what Presets are for. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

VioletWolf

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That's what Presets are for. ;)

Woo. "Lightbulb goes on..." Thanks for the post Jim :)

AndreasOberg

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 9:24 pm

VioletWolf wrote:
Jim Simon wrote:That's what Presets are for. ;)

Woo. "Lightbulb goes on..." Thanks for the post Jim :)

Same here, that is going to be useful.

Edit. The thumbnail for the timeline is very useful, this would often take me several minutes to generate before so a big speedup. Nice to be able to open a project and be able to edit instantly instead of having to wait.
I did notice they only save 1 thumbnail for shot so if you zoom in on the timeline it still needs to rebuild more but this does not take as long, would be nice if they saved more than 1 thumbnail so you can zoom in a bit and it will still be snappy.

OlegCherr

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 3:49 pm

"Save Timeline Thumbnails With Project" doesn't help at all in my case.
"Optimized Media" has no impact.

My problem is that when I zoom the timeline, Resolve starts to re-generate all the clip thumbnails. It takes a lot of time. That makes it almost impossible to work in Resolve:

I think thumbnails should be cached someway.
Last edited by OlegCherr on Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OlegCherr

AndreasOberg

PostSun Jul 11, 2021 12:37 pm

I hope they will prioritize this in the future. I like to meta tag animals so I need to see their thumbnails ideally for the whole project which may be 10TB of 8K material and several thousands of files. Every time I it could take 10+ minutes to just wait for the thumbnails to cache. FCPX always had working fast thumbnails from the first version and it really made it more pleasant to work with large collection of clips. And yes, would be nice if zooming was also faster.

AndreasOberg

PostSat Dec 11, 2021 12:44 pm

Just wanted to bump this feature since it would be really helpful if thumbnails in the Media could be cached

I recently did a test on a video project that I started working on.
So we have 7TB of Red 8K Helium media. We use a NAS with 12x18TB harddrives in in Raid 6 setup and 10GBE. PC has 64 cores and 3090 RTX card and 256GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro.
We have a bout 1000 clips and in total they are 7TB in this project.

When I restart Resolve and I click on show all media this takes about 5-15 MINUTES every time to generate the thumbnails. After I restart it takes the same time again and this project is just based on 10 days filming, I worry about larger projects when we could have 30TB of data. The reason why this takes time is that the NAS and Raid seems to be really slow in scanning through the media that is needed to generate the thumbnails and Resolve is not caching the data from what I can see.
So since I recently bought 16TB of NVME drives I though, lets test to move this media to the m.2 drive.
This massively improved the speed. To generate the thumbnails and it takes maybe 30 seconds to do now.

So it seems I cannot really work on the NAS on projects like this. I can of course generate optimized media, but the problem with this is:
1. it takes a lot of time to do for 7TB 8K files
2. it takes extra disk space, for higher resolution this could be larger than the source so then I might just as well copy the raw files locally instead.
3. This is my biggest problem, the resolution will be lower. I will probably generate 2k media since 4k are very large. Problem is then I cannot be sure that the focus is spot on and I'm always looking out for sections where the animals are not in focus.

I always liked the way FCPX dealt with media
- Cached thumbnails
- Optimized
- Raw

I also liked that they folders that were easy to use so you could copy the optimized easy between computers, lets say you are working on a laptop or another desktop then I could just copy over this data so it did not have to be recreated again. The optimized media in Resolve is just saved in these weird folder structures that does not seem to be movable.

Anyway this would greatly speed up editing speed for our projects. I just want to work a bit like in Lighttroom where you open and you have thousands of thumbnails that you can quickly go through, I never have to wait 15 minutes to see the clips in Lightroom for example.

Return to DaVinci Resolve