Fairlight DR16: Interleaved track view.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

studio1492

Fairlight DR16: Interleaved track view.

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Stereo audio clips on Fairlight are displayed as dual channels on the track, stealing lot of vertical real state on the timeline, which is precious for editing precise increments while editing volume keyframes on the clip. So the track seems to be displayed twice, one for each stereo channel, or much worse on multiple channel audio clips. Thngs alse get much worse during layer view. The clip is already 6 smaller, as track height is divided by six.

There is any way to interleave stereo or multi-channel tracks on Fairlight like on Pro.Tools?

On DVR16 Edit page there was already a "display individual channels" option to de-interleave stereo clips, which dissapeared on DVR17, but it was working only for Edit Page.
Last edited by studio1492 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

Re: Fairlight DR16: Disable stereo channels view.

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 5:42 pm

I don't think you can on Fairlight, as that would prevent you from accessing each channel individually. That's...not viable for audio work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I don't think you can on Fairlight, as that would prevent you from accessing each channel individually. That's...not viable for audio work.

Jim, I think it is viable. Who applies different edit points for each channel? I know nobody 99.9 % of the cases you will not wish to apply a transition on left channel, but not on right channel.
I mean, in most of the cases we treat stereo tracks as a block,

So why we want a twin clip displayed on the Fairlight timeline?
It would be great to see it like in Edit mode. No need for two instances on stereo tracks, 6 instances of clips on 5.1 surround,

This should be an option on Fairlight; "Display individual channels": On or Off.

Very few editors would like to edit each channel differently when working on stereo tracks.
Surround audio clips may be a different case than stereo, but on many points of the edition, you will like a 5.1 clip to work it globally.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:42 pm

I remain unconvinced.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I remain unconvinced.

So, do you apply separate keyframes per each L-R channel on Fairlight? I never do, so I guess is useless to waste so much GUI real state in most of the cases (interviews, musical clips, weeddings, documentary)

When working on Layer view on Fairlight, the clip height gets very narrow, and is impossible to be precise when adding volume keyframes on the clip. If stereo clips are optionally displayed as mono height, the track heigh will be double, and it will be comfortable to adjust volume keyframes on layer view.

Optionally should be displayed in stereo for those who apply different keyframes to each L-R channel. I never did.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Charles Bennett

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 3:33 pm

Might be an idea to add it to the Feature Request section. I can see no problem with having a choice of either interleaved or separate channels displayed. You can do that in Pro Tools for instance. Then you could use interleaved for things like music, and separate channels for things like dialogue tracks with boom on the left channel and lav on the right, etc.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve