Dr 17 Studio + Speed Editor from B&H

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mykrobinson

Re: Dr 17 Studio + Speed Editor from B&H

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 4:03 pm

I ordered mine on November 13. I received the card the following week, and my keyboard was received on December 17th.

Myk Robinson
america's favorite small brown man

System Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700;64GB RAM;nVidia RTX3080 12GB;1TB nvme system drive;500GB SSD for "My" folder redirection; Windows 11 Pro

hansinla

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 5:58 am

mykrobinson wrote:I ordered mine on November 13. I received the card the following week, and my keyboard was received on December 17th.

Thanks.
    MacBook Pro Apple M3 CPU - 16GB
    Mac OS 14.3
    DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4

fiveshorts

PostThu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm

Ordered 11/10 from B&H. They took my money. Not a word since. No license. No ideas from their customer service as to when they might be getting stock. It’s a joke. And reason #315 to stick with FCPX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Leckie

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 4:28 am

fiveshorts wrote:Ordered 11/10 from B&H. They took my money. Not a word since. No license. No ideas from their customer service as to when they might be getting stock. It’s a joke. And reason #315 to stick with FCPX

Same from scan in the UK. Email promising dates that have passed, with no follow up

Pedro Dias

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 7:53 am

Late order here, I ordered mine on december 11th, no delivery date in sight, not even an estimate. They also adjusted the product to be "Studio included" to "Device only".
That is fine, I already had studio, but still, fishy and not great.

Norway.
Med vennlig hilsen / Regards,

_________
Pedro Dias
- DaVinci Resolve Studio -
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

jquinto

PostMon Jan 04, 2021 11:12 am

Just got one from a local reseller - no cable included. Mine's the Speed Editor kit that's bundled with the DRS16 Activation Card.

Is BMD going to send me one if I complain hard enough? This is a pretty nasty oversight in my opinion.
DRStudio 17.4.6 + SE
old Intel Win10
A2485 64GB 12.4

olivier ferrand

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 12:56 am

mine was ordered from adorama on dec. 7, and i'm still waiting as well... (license version)

Scott Leckie

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Scan UK was due 11th. Then on 11th it switched to 12th. This morning it now reads 19th :?

Scott Leckie

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 pm

Scott Leckie wrote:Scan UK was due 11th. Then on 11th it switched to 12th. This morning it now reads 19th :?

Oh wait... I just got an updated invoice and now the order has gone from "awaiting picking" to "awaiting dispatch"!

I am now trying to contain my excitement :D

lyesbkz

PostTue Jan 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Scott Leckie wrote:Oh wait... I just got an updated invoice and now the order has gone from "awaiting picking" to "awaiting dispatch"!

That's great news. Seems I ordered the key from Scan a few days after you, so it's good to know the queue is moving (started to think it was stationary). Thanks for the update

Romario1972

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 10:24 am

olivier ferrand wrote:mine was ordered from adorama on dec. 7, and i'm still waiting as well... (license version)

Mine is also ordered from Adorama but on Nov 18. Still no news....

Scott Leckie

PostWed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm

lyesbkz wrote:
Scott Leckie wrote:Oh wait... I just got an updated invoice and now the order has gone from "awaiting picking" to "awaiting dispatch"!

That's great news. Seems I ordered the key from Scan a few days after you, so it's good to know the queue is moving (started to think it was stationary). Thanks for the update

No worries. DPD is showing delivery tomorrow.

I'm sure you've noticed the scan site suggesting the next batch is expected to be delivered on the 19th so fingers crossed...

iservin

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 7:43 am

I purchased as soon as it was available from BH, unfortunately before they updated the listing to automatically include a Studio license key so when I got my unit, it didn't have an included license or dongle. BH, to their credit, has promised to make it right, but they've been out of stock on 17 licenses or dongles for a long time no with no ETA on a restock.

Do any of the folks from Blackmagic know when license card or dongle SKUs will be replenished at retailers? I love the Speed Editor so far and looking forward to having the full version of Studio to try out. I've been on the cusp of switching over my team from Premiere to Resolve for years now, and I really like what I see with 17 and hope it gets out of beta soon.

Scott Leckie

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Mine all turned up this afternoon, and I can hopefully answer some questions (at least for batches in the UK - hopefully for other regions too):

1. The unit does come with a USB C cable! I suspect that bmd have listened to the complaints here
2. The unit arrived with 20% charge and wasn't visible by bluetooth - since charging it to 90% it is now discoverable and connects via bluetooth
3. The supplied key packaging reads "Davinci Resolve 17" (although we know that any key - so far - works with any version)
4. The speed editor is great! (well, after an extensive 10 minute review...)

Hope that helps and that everyone gets their kit soon!

studio+editor.png
studio+editor.png (805.93 KiB) Viewed 5069 times

Daniel Portillo

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 5:59 pm

Scott Leckie wrote:Mine all turned up this afternoon, and I can hopefully answer some questions (at least for batches in the UK - hopefully for other regions too):

1. The unit does come with a USB C cable! I suspect that bmd have listened to the complaints here
2. The unit arrived with 20% charge and wasn't visible by bluetooth - since charging it to 90% it is now discoverable and connects via bluetooth
3. The supplied key packaging reads "Davinci Resolve 17" (although we know that any key - so far - works with any version)

studio+editor.png

Good stuff, Scott. When did you place your order?

wfolta

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 7:10 pm

iservin wrote:I purchased as soon as it was available from BH, unfortunately before they updated the listing to automatically include a Studio license key so when I got my unit, it didn't have an included license or dongle. BH, to their credit, has promised to make it right, but they've been out of stock on 17 licenses or dongles for a long time no with no ETA on a restock..

Wow, you're lucky. The deal was buy the Studio License and get a free Speed Editor, not the other way around. Sounds like B&H has had enough customers get the deal backwards that they've now modified the page and will honor it the other way around. (It is the same amount of money, so I guess all they have to do is to report it to BMD as if the order were right-way around.) The confusion is understandable, since BMD has historically thrown in the Studio license with the purchase of (much more expensive) hardware.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Scott Leckie

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Daniel Portillo wrote:
Scott Leckie wrote:Mine all turned up this afternoon, and I can hopefully answer some questions (at least for batches in the UK - hopefully for other regions too):

studio+editor.png

Good stuff, Scott. When did you place your order?

5th December

lyesbkz

PostThu Jan 14, 2021 11:18 pm

I'm 8th Dec from Scan and no updates yet, if that helps anyone!

iservin

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 am

wfolta wrote:Wow, you're lucky. The deal was buy the Studio License and get a free Speed Editor, not the other way around. Sounds like B&H has had enough customers get the deal backwards that they've now modified the page and will honor it the other way around. (It is the same amount of money, so I guess all they have to do is to report it to BMD as if the order were right-way around.) The confusion is understandable, since BMD has historically thrown in the Studio license with the purchase of (much more expensive) hardware.

Yeah, my initial attempt to fix the issue didn't go so well, thankfully I manage my company's corporate account and our sales rep pulled some strings. It was so frustrating since there weren't any bundle SKUs and the reporting I read (at Newsshooter) mistakenly said the bundle worked the other way around.

Now I just gotta wait for new activation cards to get in stock. If anyone knows when that might be, I'd appreciate some info! BH had no idea.

cyberphile

PostSat Jan 16, 2021 6:50 pm

studio+editor.png

I ordered mine from B&H on November 12th. The activation card was shipped and received a few days later. The activation card was inside a pamphlet titled Davinci Resolve 16 Studio along with an SD card that had the software for Macs, Windows, and Linux. The Speed Editor itself was shipped Dec 13th and received on Dec 21st (Fedex's screw-up from NY to Los Angeles). There was no USB-C cable in my box either. It would be nice to get one like other people have. Any chance of that BMD?
DR Studio 18.5.1
GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 16GB
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

ocelotdelta

PostSun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm

I ordered mine from B&H November 24th.... its jan 17 still nothing

olivier ferrand

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:01 am

the situation is becoming borderline unacceptable from both side of the problem: manufacturer and reseller...the least we can expect is an acknowledgement from manufacturer - still completely silent!

wtf is going on really?

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:14 am

They made a post on Twitter three days ago.
@Blackmagic_News wrote:DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor Availability. Due to limited availability of a button part, we haven’t been able to build as many Speed Editors as customers have ordered. We are building more each week, and we are trying to catch up as quickly as we can. We apologize for the delay.

olivier ferrand

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 am

thank you very much roger,

but i don't do twitter, nor facebook for a fact!

for them not to address the issue on this site is not cool :(

and why should i wait so long to get the activation license for the software anyway?
Last edited by olivier ferrand on Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

roger.magnusson

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:24 am

If you don't want to visit their Twitter page you can read their feed right here on this site. In the Support section, scroll down to Latest News on the far right. You'll find the same notice there.

olivier ferrand

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 7:35 am

thanks once again, but i really wish i didn't have to play sherlock holmes... :P

Scott Leckie

PostMon Jan 18, 2021 8:05 pm

olivier ferrand wrote:thanks once again, but i really wish i didn't have to play sherlock holmes... :P

I think that's perfectly reasonable. BMD should be updating resellers, and resellers should be updating customers.
And it would be a nice added bonus if the bmd forum staff could update us here.

Pretty fundamental customer service, one would think.

fiveshorts

PostTue Jan 19, 2021 6:48 pm

I ordered Nov 29th.
I received an email from B&H yesterday.

“IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT YOUR ORDER!

Your order is still back ordered”

Great.

Michael_K

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 7:48 pm

I ordered the SpeedEditor + Dongle kit on November 12th from a dealer in Germany. The SpeedEditor arrived at the beginning of 2021. I'm still waiting for the dongle since 11 weeks.

Michael

jmorby

Dr 17 Studio + Speed Editor from B&H

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 7:34 pm

John Avenoso wrote:I just opened my the box and found the Davinci software and dongle is DR 16.. Did anyone actually get DR 17?

Mine arrived in the UK (from CVP) this morning ... had a v17 license pack inside! (Ordered Nov 11th)

Looks like they've got rid of all the old v16 license stock :)

Remember though, the licenses no longer ship with an SD card or media - you just download the latest release from the BM website ... but I do guess that means that v17 is close to an official (non beta) release.

Most production houses won't install a .0 release anyway ... personally, I've been running v17 beta since the day it was announced, and whilst I've had issues and crashes .. it's never been anywhere near as unreliable as Adobe Premiere ... I could make Premiere crash 20 times in a day, whilst I've managed to make DR crash once in about 2 months

Lover of film, IT geek, editor, creator and sailor
Using Davinci Resolve Studio (Licensed)

braddude

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 3:11 am

For the first time since my order was placed on November 25 and after checking my order status every day, B&H indicates that my order is “in progress”. Wow, hallelujah, I’ll believe it when it’s on my doorstep.

steven.demei

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 7:09 pm

I placed my order on the 28th of December hoping to get it before my Birthday …..
Guess it will not be here on time.

But yes. I have to wait to get even the activation code cause as BnH told me they will be delivered in 1 package/unit.

I was hoping to at least get the Software Activation code so I can get to use the Studio features for my client work.

steven.demei

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 7:13 pm

braddude wrote:For the first time since my order was placed on November 25 and after checking my order status every day, B&H indicates that my order is “in progress”. Wow, hallelujah, I’ll believe it when it’s on my doorstep.

So yours changed from backordered to processing?
I chatted with BnH today and they could not give me a date on when they will receive the product to be able to ship it to me.

pr2resolve

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 5:53 am

Ordered mine from Adorama on 11/14/2020. Just got it today 02/05/2021.
Resolve Studio 18, Win 10, GeForce GTX1060 6GB, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB

braddude

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 am

steven.demei wrote:
braddude wrote:For the first time since my order was placed on November 25 and after checking my order status every day, B&H indicates that my order is “in progress”. Wow, hallelujah, I’ll believe it when it’s on my doorstep.

I chatted with BnH today and they could not give me a date on when they will receive the product to be able to ship it to me.

Yes, my current order status still indicates “in progress” as of today. Still waiting for something definitive.

steven.demei

PostSun Feb 07, 2021 11:35 am

braddude wrote:
steven.demei wrote:

Yes, my current order status still indicates “in progress” as of today. Still waiting for something definitive.

Mine has now changed to processing too............. So I am going to check it on a daily basis from now on

dtucny

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 11:21 am

I've just received notification that my order from 28th November has been shipped today.

bh-shipped-20210210.png
bh-shipped-20210210.png (23.99 KiB) Viewed 4310 times

Romario1972

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 3:22 pm

pr2resolve wrote:Ordered mine from Adorama on 11/14/2020. Just got it today 02/05/2021.

Lucky you! I've ordered mine from Adorama on 11/18/2020 and still nothing...

steven.demei

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 pm

dtucny wrote:I've just received notification that my order from 28th November has been shipped today.

The attachment bh-shipped-20210210.png is no longer available

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Mine is still the same status.
Hopefully they will not be out of stock before I am next in line
Attachments
Annotation 2021-02-10 165834.jpg
Annotation 2021-02-10 165834.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 4344 times

braddude

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 10:33 pm

I received my DR 17 + Speed Editor order from B&H today. My order was placed on 11/25/20 and I am the OP of this thread. The Speed Editor is heavier than I would have imagined. The build quality seems to be excellent. I am impressed with the very professional packaging of both the Speed Editor and the DR 17 Studio Registration card. I am about to install DR 17 Studio B8 right now. I hope that you all get your orders soon.

piranha32

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 11:44 pm

studio+editor.png

I ordered my bundle on Nov. 26 from B&H, and received it just today. The Speed Editor came without the USB C cable, with barely any charge in the battery. The license card is for DR16. I know it doesn't matter, but I hoped to get the nice, shiny DR17 package.
From what I see in this thread it must be an older unit. Did BMD find a bunch of lost boxes somewhere in their warehouse, and ship them to the distributors?

wfolta

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 12:25 am

piranha32 wrote:From what I see in this thread it must be an older unit. Did BMD find a bunch of lost boxes somewhere in their warehouse, and ship them to the distributors?

Mine from B&H, which I got a while back, didn't come with USB-C and it only had enough charge to be seen as a Bluetooth device by MacOS but not to work with Resolve. After charging -- I used my laptop's USB-C charger which was pretty fast -- it worked fine. So I don't think yours is an "older unit" unless people were getting older units month or more ago.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

fiveshorts

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 12:46 am

Mine arrived today. After nearly three and a half months. It works fine. But upgrading to 17 studio beta 8 has obliterated my saved databases.

RikshaDriver

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 12:54 am

This whole does it doesn't it USB-C thing is a bit flaky. Why are some people getting theirs with a cable and others not?
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

fiveshorts

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 12:55 am

Mine is working over Bluetooth

amorias

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 am

Ordered the Davinci Resolve + Speed Editor on December 24th from Vistek.ca here in Toronto. Picked up license same day, still waiting for the Speed Editor.....
Alex Morias
www.Videolistings.ca

jonnyflash

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 3:12 pm

pr2resolve wrote:Ordered mine from Adorama on 11/14/2020. Just got it today 02/05/2021.

This just plain sucks now. I ordered mine on 11/12/2020. It still shows on backorder in my orders and I haven't heard anything.

jamedia

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 4:23 pm

RikshaDriver wrote:This whole does it doesn't it USB-C thing is a bit flaky. Why are some people getting theirs with a cable and others not?

Good question! I didn't get one. :-( In the grand scheme of things it is irrelevant as we all have spare USB leads but it is indicative to BMD's lack of attention to detail.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

steven.demei

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 3:51 pm

Well, BnH stock is depleted again.

Just finished chatting with them and they say that Blackmagic is sending everything in small batches to be able to supply all resellers.

Guess Blackmagic did not aspect that the Speed Editor would sell that well.

Norman Lang

PostSun Feb 14, 2021 6:00 pm

Got mine yesterday. With a cable. Had to charge it. Works fine. Ordered on November 30, 2020.
Norman Lang Langproductions.com Boston MA
BMCC - BMPC - BMPCC 4K - BMPCC 6K - BMPCC 6K Pro - MacBook Pro (M1) - MacBook Pro M1 Max 64GB - Adobe CC - Davinci Resolve
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve