"Critical Error Saving Project" Issue for almost everything

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

beaurosario

"Critical Error Saving Project" Issue for almost everything

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 12:40 am

EDIT: This is on an M1 Mac Mini- could be part of the problem, but I'd been working on this machine for two weeks without this issue.

Using DR 17.0B Build 13

A few days ago, I started getting a "Critical Error Saving Project" message when doing something specific (adding a crossfade to a video.) But the error has been popping up more and more frequently, when opening a timeline, trying to rename something specific in the media bins, etc. Now, I can't do anything before I get the message.

The error prompts me to either "Reload Current Project" or "Export Current Project and then Reload." I would love to choose the second, but anytime I'm able to successfully export a project file from Resolve without it crashing, I'm unable to import it to my project server without it crashing. So, I'm left back wherever the project was last saved before reloading. (I'm also having trouble saving the project manually without crashing or triggering this "Critical Error" issue.

Is anyone having this issue?

VjekoA

Re: "Critical Error Saving Project" Issue for almost eeveryt

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 1:17 am

Can you check your disk with cashe clip location. Probably is full?

MaxHasACuteDog

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 pm

Did you every figure this out? I'm now experiencing the same problem.

Boston

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Had the same problem.

SOLUTION: If you have DYNAMIC PROJECT SWITCHING enabled - Close all other projects except the one you want to save. Then attempt to save.

I also reset cache folders. This may help?

----
UPDATE: nope. I thought it was saving... but after 5 hours of working... it was not. After restarting I lost all my work. So. If you have this problem. Restart. You may not have a fix.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 am

Boston wrote:UPDATE: nope. I thought it was saving... but after 5 hours of working... it was not. After restarting I lost all my work. So. If you have this problem. Restart. You may not have a fix.

I actually had this hit with 16.2.7: I thought it was saving, I was hitting ⌘S to save, but it wasn't "actually" saving. Live Save stopped working. Lost a few hours of work when I realized what was being shown in the Project Manager showed the last save as being hours before. That was a huge pain in the ass. It's only happened to me once in... well, ever... so I'm going to accept it was a fluke.

Have not seen that happen in 17 yet, but I'm keeping a closer eye on the Project Manager now. Every time a Live Save happens, the timestamp should change, so that's one clue.

The o.p. should send a copy of the project to Blackmagic support.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

beachboybry

PostThu May 06, 2021 7:31 pm

Sadly this same known issue just hit me again now. Not sure how to fix this.
Attachments
image (21).png
image (21).png (13.83 KiB) Viewed 20685 times

Stefan Marchand

PostMon Jun 21, 2021 3:33 pm

Work was going well, I had just deleted an empty folder from the "Smart Bins" area of the UI and got the error.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 10.46.01 AM redacted copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 10.46.01 AM redacted copy.jpg (308.55 KiB) Viewed 19998 times

No matter which option is chosen, it still fails:

unable to export.png
unable to export.png (30.5 KiB) Viewed 20020 times

unable to open.png
unable to open.png (30.3 KiB) Viewed 20020 times

If it will finally save a .drp, it then won't open it.

macOS 10.15.7

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 6:33 am

Can you check if you have enough free disk space on your Mac?

Stefan Marchand

PostMon Jun 28, 2021 11:46 pm

Thank you, I have 300+ GB free on my internal drive, and over a terabyte on the external I'm working from.

Lord_Friedjof

PostWed Feb 16, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi guys,

I just rented a new Macbook Pro for editing on vacation and got into the same problem that you are having.
my problem even tho is, that i caint create a new projekt anymore at all, because everytime I'll get this error.

what i have figured out is, that it ONLY happens for just created projects and ONLY for them that are created in a subfolder of a database, so if i want to create a new project that belongs in a folder structure, I'll have to create it right in the database and then drag and drop ist all the way there, were i want it. from then on I've never had a problem.

Hopefully this can help anyone of you and hopefully BlackMagicDesign will fix this within the next update (as they've done it in the past (props for that by the way))

Kind regards from germany, Jonathan J-)

--------------------

Okay, so I did what i thaught was helping, and i was abled to save the project untill i renderd it. So i thaught, lets close this project and it came up with this *** error, so i thaught okay, my last save caint be that long ago, propably I'll only lose 5min. of work ore so, but as i closed the project, the project was gone :(

To save what you've done so far you can at least copy all that is in your timeline and paste it into a relying one.

now I have no ideas left and would highly recomend to have live save activated, to see error happening as soon as possible and maby see some connections that could explane this myth. good luck

floh79

Re: "Critical Error Saving Project" Issue for almost everyth

PostThu Feb 24, 2022 2:41 pm

Guys... I found out. It's because of file name length (including the path). Try with shorter project names respective shorter directory names.

See:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=155869&p=827523#p827523

HamnFilms

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 5:30 pm

Hello. Had this issue when the drive Davinci was operating on was completely full. I had optimized a large amount of footage and filled the drive the Davinci Database was on. Resolved after the drive was cleared.

tgreato

SOLUTION!!! (at least for me)

PostWed Apr 20, 2022 6:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I had this problem for ages, but have finally found a solution that has so far worked for me. The problem was I was running out of disk space on my SSD (where all my video files were kept and where I was exporting too) and once I cleared sufficient space (I cleared 76GB I don't know how much is needed for it to start working) I found everything ran fine. I really hope this works for everyone else too as I know how much of a pain this problem is.

Lucas Paschoalick

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 2:44 pm

Hey guys, I started to have this issues after update to Studio 18 Beta... Never had this before, and know every minute This messages pops up. :?

Lucas Paschoalick

PostSun May 01, 2022 3:16 am

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 14687 times

Any help with this? I tried to run the Davinci as ADM, tried to clean up the SSD (more than 300GB free), I even gave the .exe all the admin permission as rule... Nothing works. :cry:

Davinci Resolve Studio 18 Beta and Windows 10

This is the Davinci Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U6X2CD ... sp=sharing

camera-chris.com

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:44 pm

Having the same issue with v18.0.1.
Updated 2 days ago (from completely working 17.4.6) - and having this annoying saving error a couple of times.
Only restarting the program helps to save the project progress correctly.

Tried to uninstall - and Resolve refused it several times. It was telling me that it want's to write a file named "Config.msi" on drive F:/ (why ever... There is a drive F:/ but Resolve doesn't use it for anything...) - but getting back with the error message "Can not write File F:/Config.msi"...something. I didn't get it.
Today I was able to uninstall.

Will hit you back if the error persists after installing v18.0.
Will try to:
- deactivate auto-saving
- dynamic switching
- rename project folders due to folder length problems (why ever this should be an error right now)

Best! Chris

UPDATE: I noticed some wierd things coming along with this saving error:

1.) The In-Out-Marking of the timeline:
After each error it is set to random In-Out-Marks that I can not delite. They vanish after inserting (pasting) a clip. They sometimes come back (again ramdomly marking) before a new error occurs.

2.) The error causes the videos on the most last used timeline to disappear (when I try to open the last crashed project). I can hear audio, I can scrub through the timeline - but with no video in it.

3.) I can work on for hours when I hit "save as..." for let's say every 5-10 minutes. To me there is no obvious system problem during any other operation: I can cut, tune audio, do cc... But must not forget to save new copies. Hitting "save" (Com+S) doesn't work out.

camera-chris.com

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 5:19 pm

camera-chris.com wrote:Having the same issue with v18.0.1.
Updated 2 days ago (from completely working 17.4.6) - and having this annoying saving error a couple of times.
Only restarting the program helps to save the project progress correctly.

Tried to uninstall - and Resolve refused it several times. It was telling me that it want's to write a file named "Config.msi" on drive F:/ (why ever... There is a drive F:/ but Resolve doesn't use it for anything...) - but getting back with the error message "Can not write File F:/Config.msi"...something. I didn't get it.
Today I was able to uninstall.

Will hit you back if the error persists after installing v18.0.
Will try to:
- deactivate auto-saving
- dynamic switching
- rename project folders due to folder length problems (why ever this should be an error right now)

Best! Chris

UPDATE: I noticed some wierd things coming along with this saving error:

1.) The In-Out-Marking of the timeline:
After each error it is set to random In-Out-Marks that I can not delite. They vanish after inserting (pasting) a clip. They sometimes come back (again ramdomly marking) before a new error occurs.

2.) The error causes the videos on the most last used timeline to disappear (when I try to open the last crashed project). I can hear audio, I can scrub through the timeline - but with no video in it.

3.) I can work on for hours when I hit "save as..." for let's say every 5-10 minutes. To me there is no obvious system problem during any other operation: I can cut, tune audio, do cc... But must not forget to save new copies. Hitting "save" (Com+S) doesn't work out.

With the following settings no changing in odd behaviour:
- deactivated Live save
- deactivated Auto-Saving
- deactivated dynamic switching
- renaming of project folders

And disk space/capacity is no good reason for this error: plenty of space/ram/cpu/gpu/power...

UPDATE 2:
Since when does "Com+X" delete the whole (unselected - but with above mentioned mark-in-out) timeline assets? This is (...to me...) an unsuspected behaviour.
It doesn't behave like this in a differnet (unmarked: with no ins/outs) timeline within the same project.

camera-chris.com

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:38 pm

camera-chris.com wrote:Having the same issue with v18.0.1.

With the following settings no changing in odd behaviour:
- deactivated Live save
- deactivated Auto-Saving
- deactivated dynamic switching
- renaming of project folders

And disk space/capacity is no good reason for this error: plenty of space/ram/cpu/gpu/power...

UPDATE 2:
Since when does "Com+X" delete the whole (unselected - but with above mentioned mark-in-out) timeline assets? This is (...to me...) an unsuspected behaviour.
It doesn't behave like this in a differnet (unmarked: with no ins/outs) timeline within the same project.

UPDATE 3:
It seems to be depending on the auto-save function. Live-save is the same.
Nevertheless I deactivated it several hours ago (I deactivated Live-save yesterday), it was active again an hour ago. I disabled it, saved the project (save as... copy) - and I am still on the same session, no critical errors since that.
I don't exactly know if Resolve does correct "Com+S"-savings (don't want to loose work again...) but it seems to run stable... I do some copy-as-savings - and work on like normal.

Hope this might help anyone.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 3:35 am

Hi Chris

Can you create and share a URL with your diagnostic logs (from DaVinci Resolve's Help menu)?

Thanks
Shrinivas

camera-chris.com

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 11:58 am

Hi Shrinivas,

There you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jd6_Qg ... sp=sharing

Since I stopped Live- and Auto-Save, it works just fine for the last 3 days (each day 6-8h continuous work on Resolve).

Best regards!
Chris

RowanCloete

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 5:17 am

Hi there. Similar issue here since updating to R18, on PC. Only seems to happen in the edit page, when working on the timeline. Here is my log file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10_dJ0I ... sp=sharing

spencer_moshian

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 3:24 pm

We're getting this on one of our machines. Anyone manage to solve it?

UPDATE: Possible fix - the project file throwing this error (whenever we would add caption files to a timeline) had some unlinked files. After relinking, the error went away. We'll test further.

UPDATE 2: that wasn't it. Interestingly, we're only noticing this on one of 4 mac m1/m2 machines, all connecting to the same network drive and postgres project server. I'll continue to dig in.

axmiha

PostThu May 18, 2023 6:20 am

My problem was disk full (the disk where the cache was). Unfortunately, DaVinci doesn't say "disk is full", but just "error saving file" etc. Could Resolve let us know what the problem is in these cases, so we don't spend hours looking for solutions?

Timothy Clark

PostThu May 18, 2023 3:07 pm

axmiha wrote:My problem was disk full (the disk where the cache was). Unfortunately, DaVinci doesn't say "disk is full", but just "error saving file" etc. Could Resolve let us know what the problem is in these cases, so we don't spend hours looking for solutions?

Agreed. I know you can't do that for everything, but this seems to be a common enough issue it would be nice to have a dedicated error message.

Zero2118

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 4:18 pm

Hello. I recently encountered this problem as well but I think I may have found the source of the problem and the fix. I recently switched my save point for my project library to a new location. This caused all of my previous projects to crash with the listed "Critical Error Saving Project". I tried everything but what worked for me was copying the crashed project file and importing it into my newly created library where it was able to run.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 4:13 am

One fix (more of a workaround) is to go to the Project Library screen and manually EXPORT the project. If it lets you do that, export it, then import the project copy back into the library and see if that one will now save correctly.

Another possibility would be to right-click on the timeline you're currently working on, in the Edit page, and right-click and Export a timeline (DRT) file. If it lets you do that, then create a new project, bring in this Timeline, and it should "in theory" work.

One other anecdotal fix: another user reported a few months ago that if you run into a session that gets "stuck" and refuses to save, just try to create a new empty timeline. See if the project now saves. This person claimed it did, but this is one of those situations that's tough to recreate and tough to diagnose.

Worst-case "sledgehammer" fix:

1) with Dynamic Project Switching running, create a new empty project

2) switch back to the balky project, and select everything in the timeline and copy it to the clipboard

3) go back to the new empty project and create a new empty timeline. Now paste the contents of the clipboard.

Now, this should salvage whatever you were working on in the bad project. If there are other timelines, you'll want to recreate those timelines and bring those clips in using the same method.

My theory is that the original project got corrupted in some subtle way, but I have no answers as to why this happens or what can be done to prevent it. It's really rare -- I've only had it happen twice in maybe 13-14 years -- but it's definitely scary when it happens. The key is to don't panic, and try some of the above workarounds and see if they help you keep the session going.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

pappyjay

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 12:23 pm

spencer_moshian wrote:We're getting this on one of our machines. Anyone manage to solve it?

UPDATE: Possible fix - the project file throwing this error (whenever we would add caption files to a timeline) had some unlinked files. After relinking, the error went away. We'll test further.

UPDATE 2: that wasn't it. Interestingly, we're only noticing this on one of 4 mac m1/m2 machines, all connecting to the same network drive and postgres project server. I'll continue to dig in.

Have you discovered anything new since your last update? I get the same issue on my M1 maxed MacBook but not on my iMac. I ran away from FCPx many years ago when getting crashes constantly was a norm. Sad to say that in as much as I have fallen in love with DVR, the crashes and random bizarre errors I get while using it (often with no real solution from the DVR communities, Blackmagic support) is dismal :(

Return to DaVinci Resolve