Speed Editor: How to charge it?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

blackproaus

Speed Editor: How to charge it?

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 6:10 pm

I have just got my speed editor keyboard:

NO USB cable in the box
NO manual available (Resolve manual speed editor section describes only functionalities)
NO information regarding pairing, charging, technical specification

How can I charge my device? A regular phone charger is a 5V voltage (same as USB-C) and 2 mA current output. Is this ok?

I cannot understand how can a product be released like that....

digitalFan

Re: Speed Editor: How to charge it?

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 7:36 pm

The product description clearly says "The Speed Editor is charged by and can connect to your computer via an optional USB Type-C cable."
There is a QR code on the getting started card inside the box for downloading the manual.

Not sure what you are complaining about using caps lock on your keyboard :lol:

wfolta

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 8:31 pm

I'm charging mine with the charger I use for my MacBook Pro. That's 80-watts or more. Hopefully it can accept that and fast charge. I'd imagine that a low-watt phone charger would take overnight.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

blackproaus

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 11:22 pm

digitalFan wrote:The product description clearly says "The Speed Editor is charged by and can connect to your computer via an optional USB Type-C cable."
There is a QR code on the getting started card inside the box for downloading the manual.

Not sure what you are complaining about using caps lock on your keyboard :lol:

The manual doesn't say anything regarding power specification. I read people is charging the battery with any possible charger: laptop, Ipad, 80W fast chargers. This can results in damaging the battery of course.
In my Box there was no USB-C cable at all.

IshaiH

PostWed Dec 16, 2020 1:28 am

digitalFan wrote:There is a QR code on the getting started card inside the box for downloading the manual.

That QR code is for blackmagicdesign.com/welcome/
There is NO manual for the Speed Editor there.

It's odd that some people got a USB-C cable and some didn't (from the same store as well) but a cable isn't a big deal.

The fact that this product has no indicators for BT pairing/connection state and a button to control those modes (it seems when the USB-C isn't connected it's always in pairing mode, which is probably why everyone is getting it with their battery drained) is odd as well.

It makes pairing harder. I had no issues using it with USB-C but pairing didn't work.

jquinto

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 5:57 am

I didn't get a cable in the box as well, but an email to BMD Support fixed that - they'll be sending one to the reseller I bought it from as soon as global shortages are over.

I was able to use the keyboard even without charging/plugging it using standard Windows 10 Bluetooth pairing. Mashed some keys on the Speed Editor to activate it and it showed up, ready to be paired with my desktop. It did arrive with just 7% battery left, so I had around 12 hours of testing it before I eventually had to find a compatible cable to charge.

From what I understand USB devices "ask" the power source how much it needs, so any type of power source will suffice, even over/under-powered ones as long as they can communicate properly with it. It's more on the type of cable used that specifies what current can be passed through from the power source.
DRStudio 17.4.6 + SE
old Intel Win10
A2485 64GB 12.4

Travis

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 9:39 pm

I just recently received my speed editor, and it has a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box, but I don't have a USB-c port on my computer:( Now I need to get a cable...and there is no way to know if the speed editor is charged or not without going into the device settings on my computer, and only when it's in Bluetooth mode. Why would Blackmagic design such a great little editor, but not make it easy to see if it's charged, and no known way to turn it off. Even my inexpensive logitech keyboard has an on/off switch. Are you listening BMD?
PC built 2017 - 500Gb m.4 SSD, 32GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3.00GHz, Windows 10 Version 1803, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060GB
DaVinci Resolve 15 Public Beta 15.0.0B.043

cyberfyber

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:00 pm

wfolta wrote:I'm charging mine with the charger I use for my MacBook Pro. That's 80-watts or more. Hopefully it can accept that and fast charge. I'd imagine that a low-watt phone charger would take overnight.

Wondering how this has turned out for you? Have you continued to use that charger? Any problems?

Got what I believe to be a 40 watt charger. Not sure if I should use it or not.
Via PC it's taking maybe 3 minutes for every percentile which puts it at 5 hours for a full charge. Mine came at 2%.
DR 18 Studio
Win 11 / Ryzen 5 5950x / B550 Tomahawk / 128 GB Ram / 2 x m.2 nvme drives / 1 x HDD / 1 x SSD / EVGA 850w / RTX 3070TI

Ivanturas

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 5:15 am

If there's no reason to go wireless and a cable is right at hand, I just work with my speed editor plugged in; I'd say about 80% of the time my USB-C cables are either in a bag or being used by another device... but with that 20% of wired use, so far I've never had to worry about charge.

cyberfyber

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 9:07 pm

Ivanturas wrote:If there's no reason to go wireless and a cable is right at hand, I just work with my speed editor plugged in; I'd say about 80% of the time my USB-C cables are either in a bag or being used by another device... but with that 20% of wired use, so far I've never had to worry about charge.

Thanks for your input Ivan.
Will now be ordering a longer cable. The one I have now is too short.
DR 18 Studio
Win 11 / Ryzen 5 5950x / B550 Tomahawk / 128 GB Ram / 2 x m.2 nvme drives / 1 x HDD / 1 x SSD / EVGA 850w / RTX 3070TI

mabian

PostSat Sep 25, 2021 3:29 pm

In the meanwhile I found hot to check the current charge level: When you install Davinci Resolve you also get the "Davinci Control Panels" application. If you run it while the Speed Editor is connected it shows the current charge level and allows basic operations like the device Factory Reset...

Hope it helps,
Mario

Return to DaVinci Resolve