Magic Mask Bug?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mother_Soraka

Magic Mask Bug?

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 11:45 am

Hi,
Magic Mask seems to be staying online and painfully slow even after it has finished tracking.
Shouldn't it be freezing the mask data after tracking is done?

Jim Simon

Re: Magic Mask Bug?

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Huh?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

wfolta

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Mother_Soraka wrote:Hi,
Magic Mask seems to be staying online and painfully slow even after it has finished tracking.

Have you changed anything in Magic Mask after the original tracking? It does tracking to move your paint marks, and then does masking as separate subsets, and I can imagine that if you tracked once and then (maybe accidentally) made major changes to the marks and left Magic Mask but were then using the mask downstream, it might detect that the masks it had created are no longer valid and re-track and re-mask.

In general, it doesn't do any tracking unless you explicitly tell it to, so there's no overhead, but I've never modified things without re-tracking in light of the change.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Mother_Soraka

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 1:50 pm

wfolta wrote:

Have you changed anything in Magic Mask after the original tracking? It does tracking to move your paint marks, and then does masking as separate subsets, and I can imagine that if you tracked once and then (maybe accidentally) made major changes to the marks and left Magic Mask but were then using the mask downstream, it might detect that the masks it had created are no longer valid and re-track and re-mask.

In general, it doesn't do any tracking unless you explicitly tell it to, so there's no overhead, but I've never modified things without re-tracking in light of the change.

No, i don't make any changes to the magic mask settings after tracking is done. (Stroke 1 = green tick)
When done, I can go on and hit play, and preview the clip in the normal playback speed as usual, However, as soon as i apply any grading or any kind of effects to the node(magic masked node), the playback heavily slows down and ramps up my GPU usage to 100%, as if its still tracking the mask.

I'm expecting magic mask to go "offline" and stop using the GPU so after its done tracking.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

Jim Simon

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Sounds like the added effect is what's slowing things down. With Cache in Smart mode, only the first playback should suffer.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

wfolta

PostWed Dec 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Mother_Soraka wrote:I'm expecting magic mask to go "offline" and stop using the GPU so after its done tracking.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

You'll be better understood if you use more standard terms like "cached" (and "rendered") rather than "offline". Offline implies no longer working -- as in having no effect, or disabled. What you want are for results to be cached.

If you're applying an effect to the node that's magic-masked, you are changing the node and there will be performance repercussions: from the affect you are applying and from the need to apply it to where you have masked. As Jim says, if your cache settings are set, it may have to render the actual effect you're applying, and essentially composite it using the magic mask, but after that you should be good. If you modify the effect, it will have to apply it again.

Have you tried with a Power Window or a Qualifier instead to see how it acts? In some sense a Magic Mask is probably more complex than those two -- and there could be bugs in its interaction with effects, since this is a beta -- but if a Qualifier plus your applied effect is also slow, then you're just using an effect that your computer can't process well and Magic Mask has nothing to do with it.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Peter Cave

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 4:36 am

"Toggle Mask Overlay" to on, slows down playback dramatically, even if the clip is rendered using the Color Page cache. I do think this could be improved.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Misha Mazor

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Same issue here. Node with Magic Mask does not cache after initial playback. Other nodes with effects like Noise Reduction / Neat Video cache no problem. This is a bug.

panos_mts

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 1:16 pm

Workaround for smooth playback: Enable render cache, add an adjustment clip on top, right click and enable "Render Cache Color Output"

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 3:48 pm

panos_mts wrote:Workaround for smooth playback: Enable render cache, add an adjustment clip on top, right click and enable "Render Cache Color Output"

that is bogus.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

seanross67

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 pm

I love this feature, except that it is USELESS if you can't cache it.

Please work on the cacheing for version 18. Also infuriating that we cannot cache optical flow.
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Peter Cave

PostWed Oct 13, 2021 11:47 pm

seanross67 wrote:I love this feature, except that it is USELESS if you can't cache it.

Please work on the cacheing for version 18. Also infuriating that we cannot cache optical flow.

It DOES cache. You just need to enable Color Page caching for your Magic Mask clips.
Optical Flow caches perfectly on my setup. Are you sure you have enabled caching correctly?
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

TheBloke

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 7:55 am

seanross67 wrote:I love this feature, except that it is USELESS if you can't cache it.

You might find this video useful, it explains all the different levels of caching that can be used in Resolve.

For Color specifically, you have Node Cache, and Color Output Cache.

Node Cache, as the name suggests, can be enabled on a per-node basis to cache the output of that cache. Right-click on any node in the Color page to see the option for enabling the node cache.

Color Output Cache caches the whole output of Color on a per-clip basis. So it caches every node you have active for a given clip.

Either or both of these methods can be used to cache the output of Magic Mask. They would also cache any speed effects (Optical Flow) applied on Edit, as Color applies after Edit.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

panos_mts

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:17 am

If you add an alpha output and connect it to the magic mask, Node Cache/Color Output Cache is not working. Only the workaround with the adjustment clip cache works in this case

seanross67

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 pm

panos_mts wrote:If you add an alpha output and connect it to the magic mask, Node Cache/Color Output Cache is not working. Only the workaround with the adjustment clip cache works in this case

yeah, this is what I was doing, and every time I touched any node, I would have to recache.

Also, I just tested optical flow, and set up a node cache on my first node, and anytime I touched the color on any node downstream from the cached node, Davinci needed to recache the entire clip. So I call this a fail on the optical flow and the node cache...Unless there is something I'm missing.
Davinci 17.4.4

mattfezz

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 10:26 pm

seanross67 wrote:
panos_mts wrote:If you add an alpha output and connect it to the magic mask, Node Cache/Color Output Cache is not working. Only the workaround with the adjustment clip cache works in this case

yeah, this is what I was doing, and every time I touched any node, I would have to recache.

Also, I just tested optical flow, and set up a node cache on my first node, and anytime I touched the color on any node downstream from the cached node, Davinci needed to recache the entire clip. So I call this a fail on the optical flow and the node cache...Unless there is something I'm missing.

agreed, would be great to have the option to cache optical flow pre color.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Matt, Render in place?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

mattfezz

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 10:42 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Matt, Render in place?
yep, that does work! would still be great to have the option for caching it also.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

seanross67

PostMon Oct 18, 2021 4:09 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Matt, Render in place?

took me a minute to understand that that is a new feature in 17! I'll give it a try!

(I initially read "matt, render in place" as "render matte in place" as typed on a smart phone LOL)
Davinci 17.4.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve