Flickering issue (white lines) with Zoom Blur Effect

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

Flickering issue (white lines) with Zoom Blur Effect

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 1:14 am

I'm having an issue with blur effects on a piece of text- when I apply a zoom blur effect on it (as part of a fade transition), it performs well in playback (zoom blurs into the color of the text), but after rendering, the zoom blur carries myriad white lines flickering within the zoom blur (making for quite the overdone, tacky look). I can also see the white lines with I pause the playback in Resolve, but they do not appear if I just let the playback proceed normally.

I've tried fiddling around with the codec when rendering, as well as removing all color grade nodes, but the issue remains. This is Da Vinci Resolve 16.1 and my machine is a standard Win 10 laptop. Thanks for any suggestions.

Lychon

Re: Flickering issue (white lines) with Zoom Blur Effect

PostSun Dec 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Going to bump this once to see if anyone has come across the issue- can't find much searching.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 3:42 am

What's your GPU? It might simply be overloaded.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Lychon

PostMon Dec 28, 2020 5:55 am

Uli Plank wrote:What's your GPU? It might simply be overloaded.

I have the standard Intel Graphics 530 and GeForce GTX 950M. Outdated, yes, but I'm not sure it should be having any trouble with a zoom blur?

Lychon

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 6:16 pm

Found a workaround for anyone having a similar issue: instead of using the zoom blur effect, try various combinations of the prism blur and emboss effects (i.e., key frame them to kick in when you want your transition out to start). Working together, these got rid of the flickering white lines issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve