Orange timeline range indicator?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Todd Groves

Orange timeline range indicator?

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 4:39 am

What does it mean when the timeline range indicator is orange. I couldn't find any reference for it in the manual.

Thanks.

Jim Simon

Re: Orange timeline range indicator?

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm

An orange Duration Marker maybe?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Todd Groves

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Jim Simon wrote:An orange Duration Marker maybe?

I don't have any markers in this timeline. I vaguely remember that there was a meaning to it. But, I can't recall the source I heard it from. I assume it's some kind of warning, but I don't know for what. I looked through the manual for anything to do with the timeline, but couldn't find any references.

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:52 pm

It looks like the In/Out range marker, but...that's grey not orange. And I don't believe there's any way for the user to change that color.

So I'm lost.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Todd Groves

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 6:59 pm

Jim Simon wrote:It looks like the In/Out range marker, but...that's grey not orange. And I don't believe there's any way for the user to change that color.

So I'm lost.

Yea. I've seen it before in earlier versions. But, I don't remember what it was about. I try to take note of features as I discover them.

wfolta

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 7:02 pm

I think it means you're in the Deliver page. At least that's how it works for me: gray in Edit, orange in Deliver. Maybe it has a special meaning in Deliver, but I think it's always worked that way for me.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Todd Groves

PostFri Jan 01, 2021 7:31 pm

wfolta wrote:I think it means you're in the Deliver page. At least that's how it works for me: gray in Edit, orange in Deliver. Maybe it has a special meaning in Deliver, but I think it's always worked that way for me.

You might be right. I've only recently updated to the latest beta, so that could be it.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 am

In/Out range is grey on Deliver, too.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

roger.magnusson

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:44 am

It turns Orange on the Deliver page when you set Render to Individual Clips instead of Single Clip. In that mode it changes color to let you know that the way range selection works is different. The range snaps to whole clips only (except for generated media which is ignored).

wfolta

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 12:55 am

roger.magnusson wrote:It turns Orange on the Deliver page when you set Render to Individual Clips instead of Single Clip. In that mode it changes color to let you know the way selection works is different. The range snaps to whole clips only.

Nice catch!

In v17b6 this color can "stick" and apply to Single Clip settings as well. That is, at one point I exported an XML file to test something, and this exports as Individual Clips. But when I switched to the Youtube preset it stayed orange. Even switching to Custom, where it explicitly had "Single Clip" selected, kept the orange color. Not sure what changed it, but I basically clicked on every preset to see what the pattern was, and at some point I was back to Youtube and it was gray.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Todd Groves

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 2:45 am

roger.magnusson wrote:It turns Orange on the Deliver page when you set Render to Individual Clips instead of Single Clip. In that mode it changes color to let you know that the way range selection works is different. The range snaps to whole clips only (except for generated media which is ignored).

Of course! Right after I read that, I remembered I did set the delivery to "individual clips". LOL.

Thanks, Roger. I was so afraid to move forward until I figured that out. I hadn't delivered individual clips in a long time, so I completely forgot.

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 02, 2021 5:45 pm

wfolta wrote:Nice catch!.

Agreed.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Return to DaVinci Resolve