Using edited video tracks as media inputs in Fusion

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Charles Duffy

Using edited video tracks as media inputs in Fusion

PostSun Jan 03, 2021 11:12 pm

Howdy --

Apologies for the beginner question; pointers to tutorials &c. would be welcome.

I have two video tracks and two audio tracks (one video-sync'd, one VO) that I'm trying to composite together. Those tracks have gone through a fair bit of fiddly editing to get them all synchronized together (splitting pieces into clips and precisely aligning them with events on the audio feed), and as voice-over is edited, additional such editing is likely to be needed in the future.

As a consequence of that editing, in the edit tab the two video tracks are split up into a number of smaller clips with different timing adjustments and in/out points -- but ideally, in Fusion, I would hope to route each entire track to a Media In node (thus having one such node per video track, no matter how many individual clips that track contains).

Getting an unedited clip into the Fusion tab is trivial -- drag it over from the media pool, and there one is.

Getting the individual, edited tracks into Fusion, while still being able to go back to the timeline and edit them further (maybe splicing in a VO segment of different length, for example), and being able to edit their timing in tandem (to maintain synchronization when making changes)... well, I'm not quite sure where to start.

Hints?

Jim Simon

Re: Using edited video tracks as media inputs in Fusion

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 6:01 pm

To the best of knowledge, MediaIn can only hold individual files.

What exactly are you trying to composite here? Can you show us?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

xunile

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 6:43 pm

You can select the tracks you want to work with as individual tracks in the Fusion page then right-click and select "New Fusion Clip". Then when you switch to the Fusion page each track will have it's own MediIn node.
Attachments
2021-01-05 (2).png
2021-01-05 (2).png (557.31 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
2021-01-05 (3).png
2021-01-05 (3).png (875.73 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Charles Duffy

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 11:02 pm

xunile wrote:You can select the tracks you want to work with as individual tracks in the Fusion page then right-click and select "New Fusion Clip". Then when you switch to the Fusion page each track will have it's own MediIn node.

Thank you! This was exactly what I needed.

mabian

PostSun May 26, 2024 11:01 pm

This is awesome and had no idea this could even be possible... A new fusion clip can be created in which the underlying timeline is a sub-timeline with all the track's previous contents, including clips and transitions between them.

It's like a compound clip wrapped by Fusion, which opens a whole set of possibilities and unlocks how I could implement the idea I had in mind.

Thank you!

- Mario

Return to DaVinci Resolve