License dongle question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

resolve_freak

License dongle question

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 2:06 am

Somewhere along the way - our dongle has been moved into another Mac. With folks working from home, I grabbed the linux machine from work and installed it at a colorist's home. We're noticing that he doesn't have ProRes 422. He does have the advanced control surface panel. I've read that he'll have that dongle to get the ProRes.

Can someone tell me how it shows up in Apple's System Informattion/USB? If I know what it's called, I can run some comands remotely to see where it is.

Also, if i can't find it, can it be replaced?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: License dongle question

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 2:14 am

There's no way that I'm aware of to distinguish a Linux/Advanced Panel dongle and a normal Mac/Windows dongle, other than the label.

Indeed you need a Linux/Advanced Panel dongle to enable ProRes rendering on a Linux system.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

resolve_freak

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks. I was just wondering what Mac system profiler (information) called it under the USB section. It would have made it easier to run an Apple remote desktop command to several machines filtering for the name ... such as Fusion ... or whatever. Fortunately the colorist is going to deliver it as DNxHR HQX .... so I'm little less in the hot seat.

EDIT: It shows up as USB DONGLE is system information.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 20, 2021 6:09 pm

Yes, the dongle does show up there. But there is nothing to differentiate that it's a standard or Linux/Advanced panel dongle.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve