Audio ducking - how to select bus to listen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

damago1

Audio ducking - how to select bus to listen

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 11:27 pm

I have a scenario:
I have 2 buses (polish and english) and 2 sidebuses (for polish and for english ducking)
I have 2 voiceover tracks (Polish and English)
I have 2 music tracks (for polish version and for english version)
I want to use polish voicover as a source for polish music ducking...
...and want to use english voiceover to duck english music

I do not know how to make dynamics om a specific track to listen to specific sidebus only.

I completely cannot achieve that. I cannot find any documentation to make me understand what is the logic behind the bus assign window in resolve 17. I do not know what is the difference between track sends and track outputs. where the signal goes if I "send" to bus and where it goes if I "output" to the same bus. Also which setting is responsible for choosing the bus that the track is listening to.

Where is the documentation that explains what groups are? do the groups route sound internally only? Or it is only a grouping for user convinience?

IMHO the bus assign window should be a kind of a graph with lines between tracks and busses. Now the operation of this window is completely counter intuitive. There is no indication what do you have to press first, what next. I couldn't figure out for about 15 minutes how to remove bus from track outputs. This is to be re-done completely, especially now when the thing gets more compicated than ever.

Reynaud Venter

Re: Audio ducking - how to select bus to listen

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 6:01 am

damago1 wrote:I do not know how to make dynamics om a specific track to listen to specific sidebus only.
Busses do not provide provide a Sidechain. Route through a Timeline Track.

I do not know what is the difference between track sends and track outputs. where the signal goes if I "send" to bus and where it goes if I "output" to the same bus.
The Flexi Bussing mode's Bus Send is the equivalent of an Aux Send in Fixed Bussing mode.

Bus Output in Flexi Bus mode is the equivalent of routing to a Main or Sub Buss in Fixed Bus mode.

Where is the documentation that explains what groups are?
Groups are VCAs. No signal flows through a VCA, it is merely a control device (and not a summing function), independent of its member channel routing scheme.

Link Groups provide the option of routing feeds in a multichannel format (e.g. controlling six mono Tracks as a 5.1 SMPTE source).

damago1

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Ok. can you be more specific:
"route through a Timeline Track" - can you tell me what specifically should I do?

How to route "send" of specific voiceover track into "listen" on a specific another track? And make the listening track ignore other buses.

BTW:
From what I understand you can create now multiple busses which will act as "AUX" even though they are created as normal usual busses, and each bus has 2 paralell signal tracks: one when you "OUT" to this bus and another parallel for all tracks that "SEND" to this bus. You can direct any track output into a specific "AUX" bus. And when you use the "SEND" instead of "OUT" to this bus it will be treated as AUX bus from this moment for all "LISTEN" inputs . You will not be able to hear anything if you route this into your speakers or headphones because you can hear only a "OUT" part of the bus and not the "AUX" part of the bus. The "AUX" part of the bus is it is a kind of external from the perspective of Fairlight. Am I right?

But the problem persists: how to make "LISTEN" on a specific track to listen to specific AUX part of a specific bus which is being "sent" to.

I do not uderstand the logic behind separate "OUT" and "SEND" in this case. It could be simply done using only one type of routing "OUT" - and simply by telling the target track to which other track or bus should it listen to. Clean and simple solution. All tracks or all effect nodes would have
- one main input (lie microphone or timeline files),
- and one axillary input which could be assigned to listen to any other given track or bus.
voilla.

Now the system is convoluted. You have no AUX bus, but any bus is treated as AUX if somebody sends to it. But another track can simultanously OUT to this bus so the single bus has 2 different signals flowing through it - one being "SENT" and other being "OUTED" into this bus. On the other hand it is not clear how to make a track listen to specific bus. There is a way to assign "INPUT" but not "LISTEN".
Last edited by damago1 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 2:19 pm

damago1 wrote:"route through a Timeline Track" - can you tell me what specifically should I do?
To route a Buss to a Timeline Track via Patch IO, select Bus Out as the Source and Track Input as the Destination.

How to route send of specific voiceover track into "listen" on a specific another track?
The SideChain functionality of the Fairlight Dynamics Processor is explained in the DaVinci Resolve Manual.

Page 3256 | Chapter 156 | Mixing in the Fairlight Page

damago1

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 3:30 pm

I do not know which manual you are refering to. When I go to "Help > Davinci resolve reference manual" this is the first place I was trying to consult. This 240 page book seems to be only listing changes introduced in Resolve 17. And the word "sidechain" cannot be found anywhere in this book.

Can you please send me a link to some decent manual? Maybe I am completely missing some obvious source of information?

Jim Simon

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 3:46 pm

"To help keep the v17 beta items separate from the regular forum topics, please use v17 beta sub forum for all your reports on v17 beta items.

Also, for operational questions, please refer to the New Features Guide that is in the installer before posting here."

- DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

17_Forum.png
17_Forum.png (60.2 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 4:19 pm

damago1 wrote:Can you please send me a link to some decent manual?
The Manual chapter included in my previous post is a hyperlink to the current manual.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 0239610000

damago1

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 4:51 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:
damago1 wrote:"route through a Timeline Track" - can you tell me what specifically should I do?
To route a Buss to a Timeline Track via Patch IO, select Bus Out as the Source and Track Input as the Destination.

This does not seem to work:
I have made such routing:

In track A2 (voice EN) I have clicked on + right to "Bus sends" and selected bus "SIDE EN".
On track A4 (voice PL) I have clicked on + right to "Bus sends" and selected bud "SIDE PL"

Next to input: on A3 (music EN) I have clicked on a button next to "Input" then there is a small menu:
No input,
Input...
Bus...
Path settings...

I have selected "Input..." - is this correct? I shoud direct to "Input" and not to "Bus..." as per your post.

Now the weird "Patch" window opens which I do not really understand, but:
In the left dropdown (Source) I am choosing "Track direct" and choosing the "Voice EN" track.
In the right dropdown (Destination) I am choosing "Track input".
So far so good. closing window.

How trying to do the same for "Polish" version of the voiceover. I am clicking on "Input" button for track A5 (Music PL) and the same patch Input/Output window opens. What is weird I am opening this window for track A5 but I seem to see the previously made patches for track A3 a kind of selected (they are darker than other). I am selecting the "Voiceover EN on the left) and "Music EN" on the right and I am pressing "Patch". Now I see all the voiceover tracks and all the music tracks darker. I do not know really why. But I assume it is ok. The patchings seem to be listed correctly:
fairlight 5.png
fairlight 5.png (35.53 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

But this does not work. First issue is that there is a bug in Resolve 17 and when I patch input of a track to microphone (and in this case to output of other track) the sound is distorted. Like there is some internal loop or something.

Most important is that the dynamics on track A3 does not seem to work. It seems that it is trying to listen to itself and to another music track instead of the bus "Side EN" selected as input:

See this screenshot:
fairlight6.png
fairlight6.png (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

When I remove the "send to" from voiceover tracks the dynamics stops listening to anything. The button "Listen" is inactive.

How to route send of specific voiceover track into "listen" on a specific another track?
The SideChain functionality of the Fairlight Dynamics Processor is explained in the DaVinci Resolve Manual.

See my other post below. I cannot find any mention of a word "SideChain" in the manual available under "Help" -> "Reference manual".

Page 3256 | Chapter 156 | Mixing in the Fairlight Page

Harald Rauser

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Hello, I have the same or a similar problem. I have one music track, but 2 voice-overs (English and German). I would like to duck the music listening to both EN and DE voiceovers.... Is there a way to achieve this?
--
Harald Rauser
electricsoup film & media

DerPaule13

PostFri Aug 11, 2023 2:02 pm

Same here. Is there a solution for this yet?
DR 18.5 B41 | Win10 Pro 64 bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | 64 GB RAM | Nvidia GTX 3090 (24 GB) (SD 512.59) | NAS 1621+ w/ SSDs | NAS 1819+ w/ HDDs (DR PostgreSQL DB) | Network & Internet via 10GbE LAN | Avira Anitvirus

damago1

PostMon Jan 15, 2024 12:18 am

Is there a solution to this problem?

contactnikhilnyc

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 6:54 pm

Hi, I'm on Resolve Studio 18.6.4 Build 6 on a PC.

I have two VO tracks both going to a DLG bus. I want the MUSIC bus to duck to the DLG bus. I can SEND from the DLG bus to the MUSIC bus, but there seems to be no way to LISTEN in the dynamics dialog of the MUSIC bus. It seems to me this would be an intuitive thing to do.

If this is just not the way, how can you have the MUSIC bus duck to the DLG bus without having to deal with individual tracks? A question that seems to be asked above as well. This *must* be a simple thing to do, so stumped on how to do it. Thanks for any assistance!

edit: ufff... seems like this is a discussed topic.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=190353
And I see the other feature change by damago also in these forums.

The current method of achieving this seems way too convoluted for me to do and not worth the effort of going down this rabbit hole, so unless I'm missing some obvious way to duck at the bus level, I'm passing on this and hope the resolve folks improve the UI/process instead of being stuck in whatever ways it was done in the past. Ducking at the bus level seems like such an intuitive and necessary thing to offer.

Return to DaVinci Resolve