Can I Sync An External Multitrack Recorder to Resolve?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robertmitchellphoto

Can I Sync An External Multitrack Recorder to Resolve?

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 pm

Is it possible to use an external dedicated multitrack recorder for audio, and sync it to Resolve on the PC?
I've seen multitrack recorders that function as an audio interface and surface controller but I can't tell if any of them will work with Resolve.

I'd like to operate the transport controls from the controller and have Resolve sync and follow.

Is this possible?

Reynaud Venter

Re: Can I Sync An External Multitrack Recorder to Resolve?

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 6:33 am

For sync, in Resolve Studio 16 and later:
Fairlight menu > Remote Control Settings

Without a Fairlight Audio Interface, you can manually patch LTC to a physical output via Patch IO.
A Fairlight Audio Interface provides MTC in addition to LTC, dual 9 pin, GPIO, HD Tri-level sync, and MIDI.

For Transport control, configure a MIDI Audio Console in:
Preferences > System > Control Panels > Use MIDI audio console

Confirm that the MIDI device supports either the HUI or MCU protocol.

robertmitchellphoto

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 6:56 pm

I understand some of what you're saying but I don't think it takes me in the direction I wanted.

I'm fed up with all the audio latency in DAW's and the unforgiving latency in Resolve. I've followed all the suggestions and recommendations and tried some different interfaces, but it doesn't eliminate audio latency. Resolve doesn't even offer ASIO support and only provides adjustment of the buffer size, with a minimum of 128, and that's not good enough.

So.... I was looking at recording my audio to an external hardware based multitrack recorder that would serve as a controller, allowing me to operate transport for the multitrack and resolve simultaneously, with them in sync.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:04 pm

robertmitchellphoto wrote:I was looking at recording my audio to an external hardware based multitrack recorder

That's the method I use and recommend, but...how does Resolve come into play during recording?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

robertmitchellphoto

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
robertmitchellphoto wrote:I was looking at recording my audio to an external hardware based multitrack recorder

That's the method I use and recommend, but...how does Resolve come into play during recording?

There are many instances where I'm creating the audio tracks while watching the video and I need timing to work out.

Obviously, if I don't need to work to video, then Resolve doesn't need to be playing or in sync, but if I'm adding audio or need multiple audio tracks to be in sync with each other, then a reliable recorder with no recording latency is crucial.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:29 pm

So Resolve would only be used for playback?

Could you maybe send timecode out of Resolve via SDI and use take that into the recorder?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

robertmitchellphoto

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 7:57 pm

Jim Simon wrote:So Resolve would only be used for playback?

Could you maybe send timecode out of Resolve via SDI and use take that into the recorder?

Yes, Resolve would be for Audio playback only.... or for playback until the audio tracks were complete, and then I would import them to Resolve for mixing and export, assuming that process works and the audio doesn't get funky or drift once imported.

I don't know anything about using SMPTE within Resolve. I come from audio and audio visual background and always used SMPTE for sync, but all devices had a timecode in and out port or jack. So, I'm not sure how that will work within Resolve or if other hardware is needed. The other problem is that hardware based multitrack recorders don't seem to have provision for either SMPTE or MIDI sync. They're stand alone devices from what I can tell.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 25, 2021 8:41 pm

It is possible to have an external audio deck chase the Resolve timeline using LTC timecode out of Resolve.

This is enabled in Project Settings - General Options - Color - Embed timecode in audio output.

With that enabled, if you have a BMD I/O device with analog audio out, LTC timecode will be on the channel 2 analog output.

Timecode will also be embedded in the SDI out on SDI embedded audio channel 16.

This timecode will be the timeline source timecode. If you have a deck that can chase timecode, it will follow along with the timeline.

Note that timeline source timecode is always placed in the SDI out ANC data, so things like a DVS Clipster can chase Resolve when it's put into DLTC mode. This is handy for things like HDR grading, and wanting an SDR reference image on the Clipster to follow along.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

robertmitchellphoto

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks for the response. I have a feeling that, for now, I'm better off recording my voiceovers in Resolve and just dealing with some latency, or recording the VoiceOver independent of the video and just drop it in and adjust as needed.

All other options get far more complicated than I'd like right now.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 pm

The method I've always used is to record the VO to a Digital Audio Recorder while the VO artist listens to timeline playback over headphones.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

robertmitchellphoto

PostTue Jan 26, 2021 11:47 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The method I've always used is to record the VO to a Digital Audio Recorder while the VO artist listens to timeline playback over headphones.

Do you then import the VoiceOver audio files into Resolve?

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 12:05 am

Yes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Gary Hango

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 12:08 am

Here's an idea. Record your voiceover in an external app or recorder while Resolve is playing. Record the voice to one channel of the stereo recording and the output from Resolve on the other channel. When finished, import the stereo audio file into your project and set the clip attribute so it's a mono clip with the audio channel that has the Resolve playback recorded on it. Add this to your original timeline and sync it using the waveforms as a guide. Once synced, change the clip attributes so the other channel that has your voiceover is used. It's now in sync to your project.

This is just a theoretical workflow. I've never tried it.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

robertmitchellphoto

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 12:53 am

Jim Simon wrote:Yes.

Which audio recorder are you using?

When you want to play back a take for the talent, how are you doing that? Since there's no sync between audio and video, when you're working on the audio, do you just play back the audio from the recorder and not worry about the video? Are you using a multitrack recorder and doing multiple takes to ensure you got it?

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 am

Last time I did this, I was using a Zoom H4n. Currently I use a Zoom F4.

I typically don't play back takes for the talent. I listen while recording, and if I don't like the take, I have the talent redo it until it's good. But both Zoom's can play back the files they record if necessary.

Talent watches the video as they record, so things line up later.

As it's VO, I record mono.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

robertmitchellphoto

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 1:13 am

Jim Simon wrote:Last time I did this, I was using a Zoom H4n. Currently I use a Zoom F4.

I typically don't play back takes for the talent. I listen while recording, and if I don't like the take, I have the talent redo it until it's good. But both Zoom's can play back the files they record if necessary.

Talent watches the video as they record, so things line up later.

As it's VO, I record mono.

Cool. Thanks, Jim.

George Massenburg

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote: [...]

[timecode] is enabled in Project Settings - General Options - Color - Embed timecode in audio output.

With that enabled, if you have a BMD I/O device with analog audio out, LTC timecode will be on the channel 2 analog output.

Timecode will also be embedded in the SDI out on SDI embedded audio channel 16.
[...]

well, although we have a lot of BMD mini converters, and a couple to Teranex SDI->HDMI's, we don't have a "BMD I/O device with analog audio out", so we're counting on de-embedding bit 16...

...and we're hoping to do it with an SDI to Analog Mini Converter set to sw8 off (analog audio) sw 2, 3 4 on (SDI audio 15 & 16). in a word, it's not working to what i assume should be the Analog R out. no signal on either, though

any clues here?

thanks
George Massenburg

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 pm

Well, it appears that timecode on the embedded SDI channel 16 stopped working some time ago.

Timecode still works on the analog out, if you have a BMD I/O device that has analog out.

I'll report to the dev team, and see if it's something that can be addressed.
Dwaine Maggart

George Massenburg

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:53 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Well, it appears that timecode on the embedded SDI channel 16 stopped working some time ago. [...]

thanks, Dwaine, for always coming through with the straight talk. much appreciate it.

so, in the meantime, wonder if you could recommend any other way to de-embed to LTC from SDI? seems like a Teranex Mini – SDI to Audio 12G will do it, but that's a out-sized investment for a single-use device to do something that should be a nearly trivial chore.

any other BMD Mini Converters that would do it? or anybody's time de-embedder (at a reasonable cost)?

or maybe the most direct way to get timecode out of Davici Resolve it is to interface to a BMD Audio + Video PCIe interface? but then, how can i be sure that BMD didn't let the function lapse for that, like the timecode to SDI embedded audio 15&16 in DRS?

thanks a million,
George Massenburg

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 2:49 am

The issue is that no timecode is being put into the embedded SDI channel 16.

It's not an issue of converters or I/O hardware. It's just not on the SDI embedded audio.

The only current way to make it work is to use a DeckLink card that has a breakout cable for analog audio, or an UltraStudio box that has analog audio outputs.
Dwaine Maggart

George Massenburg

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 7:12 pm

thanks Dwaine,

that's most helpful to know

George

ColinMcT

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 7:14 am

George Massenburg wrote:thanks Dwaine,

that's most helpful to know

George

wow its great to have you hear George! Big fan
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

George Massenburg

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 1:34 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:The only current way to make it work is to use a DeckLink card that has a breakout cable for analog audio, or an UltraStudio box that has analog audio outputs.

just one more thing Dwaine,

well, i don't have a Decklink card, but i've just tested DRS with an UltraStudio 4K Mini, which does have visible audio outputs, and i now have my timeline audio playing through the UltraStudio 4K Mini's audio, which works fine. i've selected "Embed timecode in audio output" but there's still no timecode coming out as anticipated.

i hate to ask this of you, but maybe BMD could get timecode output of some sort working?

thanks
George

George Massenburg

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 1:55 pm

ColinMcT wrote:wow its great to have you hear George! Big fan

thanks, great to be here. pro video support is a breath of fresh air compared with "pro" (i.e, non-existant) audio

George

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 11:55 pm

I tested this with an UltraStudio 4K and the embedded timecode works on that.

I would expect it to work the same on the UltraStudio Mini 4K as well, but I don't have one at hand to test with, as we are in work at home mode still, so not all resources are available.

I will attempt to get into the office next week and test with a Mini 4K.
Dwaine Maggart

George Massenburg

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I will attempt to get into the office next week and test with a Mini 4K.

any news, Dwaine? i really need this to work.

thanks,

George

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 23, 2021 5:16 pm

No chance to get into the office yet, so no news yet. To be honest, this being a short week due to the Thanksgiving holiday, it seems unlikely I'll be able to accomplish a test this week.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 8:23 am

Turns out I had to go into the office this evening. So I've snagged an US4K Mini. I'll do a test on Wednesday to see what it does.
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 24, 2021 7:47 pm

OK, I've verified that you are correct.

Embedded timecode option works with an UltraStudio 4K, but appears to do nothing with the UltraStudio 4K Mini with the same Resolve and Desktop Video sw versions.

Which is pretty baffling to me, but there you are.

That also means I can't guarantee that the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 works, as I haven't tested that.

I've reported this to the dev team.
Dwaine Maggart

George Massenburg

PostSun Nov 28, 2021 8:33 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:OK, I've verified that you are correct.

Embedded timecode option works with an UltraStudio 4K, but appears to do nothing with the UltraStudio 4K Mini with the same Resolve and Desktop Video sw versions.

Which is pretty baffling to me, but there you are.

That also means I can't guarantee that the UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 works, as I haven't tested that.

very much appreciate the effort, Dwaine. i was about to buy an UltraStudio 4K, but now i'll wait.

btw, it would be really ideal if the dev team could look into whether fixing the injection of TC into SDI channel 16 (as originally specified) would be possible.

thanks again,
George

George Massenburg

PostWed Feb 02, 2022 6:25 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:OK, I've verified that you are correct.

[...]

hey Dwaine,

it's been a couple of months now, and I've just looked at the latest 7.4.3 only to find that DRS STILL doesn't output timecode as specified in the manual.

is this ever going to be addressed??

thanks,
George

Return to DaVinci Resolve