Serious bug, DR makes source footage corrupt

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Foster

Re: Serious bug, DR makes source footage corrupt

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 6:21 pm

schepers wrote:
Dit you made this screenshot? The glitch is on another place than at my system. Thats strange.

yes, macpro 5,1 big sur radeonVII and BRAW player 2.1beta 3

but i dit not search for other glitches

and also a angelbird CFast2.0 card can be defective!
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

schepers

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 11:09 am

Hi,

Here is an update. The disk drive is OK. I tried it with a new card, new card reader, new SSD drive. Unplugged all other devices. The problem is still there. So Blackmagic, please let me know how to fix this problem.

BR, Robert

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Just brainstorming but check if you have not set any intermediate/proxy/render cache etc destinations to the same destination as the source clips.
That is in my eye the only way to accidentaly damage source files by Resolve while editing/grading.

A second red flag to check out would be that you mentioned a drive connected via thuderbolt. Anyther minefield of potential problems resulting in corruot files on write. Cables, multiple TB masters conflic, connectors, other crazy devices in the TB chain messing with your drive.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

schepers

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 4:30 pm

Glenn Venghaus wrote:Just brainstorming but check if you have not set any intermediate/proxy/render cache etc destinations to the same destination as the source clips.
That is in my eye the only way to accidentaly damage source files by Resolve while editing/grading.

A second red flag to check out would be that you mentioned a drive connected via thuderbolt. Anyther minefield of potential problems resulting in corruot files on write. Cables, multiple TB masters conflic, connectors, other crazy devices in the TB chain messing with your drive.

I checked everything. It is not DaVinci Resolve. Also the BRAW player makes the files corrupt. Also have this on the main disk.

Mark Foster

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 4:52 pm

i think you have a drive problem
the player does nothing exept playback > no safe
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 7:01 pm

I would throw my entire system in the trashcan if multiple software corrupts multiple files on multiple drives.
Corrupt hardware , maybe memory , but could be so many things by now, or worsr case a virus that corrupts every file you touch.
No logic in what you experience anymore other than your entire system can'r be trusted at all anymore.

Start with formatting and reinstall your OS from scratch. You need to make large steps and systematic analysis to find what is going on at this stage. For sure its 100 % your system and not resolve or raw player or anything like that.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 9:54 pm

I've only once seen such glitches and that was with a bad reader. But from what you describe, we can exclude that.
So, I tend to second the radical solution Glenn suggested.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

schepers

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 am

Just did a fresh install with OSX bigSur. Now I I installed Resolve Studio and when I want to open the program I get this message: You are not allowed to access the DaVinci Resolve app.

Why?
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-26 om 10.58.37.png
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-26 om 10.58.37.png (175.25 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

schepers

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am

I can open the program now. Now I get an error when insert the activation key... Argggg.

schepers

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm

I have a fresh install, still got the same problem. Blackmagic ? Where is the support?

Tom Early

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm

schepers wrote:Blackmagic ? Where is the support?

There's no reason to think it's their problem rather than your hardware.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 8:12 pm

schepers wrote:I have a fresh install, still got the same problem. Blackmagic ? Where is the support?

It's BigSur related. Are you installing Resolve which is compatible with it?
Follow all on screen prompts and give permission when required.

Jason Conrad

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 am

Shotput pro will generate checksums. That's one of the reasons to use it. You can change how it works, but I think by default it runs a checksum on both the source and destination, and makes sure they match. It will write the report either inside the destination (which will change the checksum of the result), or write the report somewhere else so you always have a record of the card's checksum in its original state, before any other software has touched it.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 6:17 am

schepers wrote:I have a fresh install, still got the same problem. Blackmagic ? Where is the support?
At least now you know , with a fresh install confirming its not some crazy software bug or corruption, its 100% somewhere in your hardware.
With gazilions of users and zero comparable issues ever, nor any logical software component that would ever even get close touching source files, exluding the mentioned option of you setting the cache/proxy/reder or any other target location to the location of your source files, its not Resolve so not BM to help you here.
The absolute confirmation of that was the fact that you mentioned the BRRaw player corruption your files.
Only a virus or a broken OS (hence my suggestion to wipe and reinstall OS) could make a player corrupt your files via software.

schepers

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 7:15 am

Glenn Venghaus wrote:
At least now you know , with a fresh install confirming its not some crazy software bug or corruption, its 100% somewhere in your hardware.
With gazilions of users and zero comparable issues ever, nor any logical software component that would ever even get close touching source files, exluding the mentioned option of you setting the cache/proxy/reder or any other target location to the location of your source files, its not Resolve so not BM to help you here.
The absolute confirmation of that was the fact that you mentioned the BRRaw player corruption your files.
Only a virus or a broken OS (hence my suggestion to wipe and reinstall OS) could make a player corrupt your files via software.

It is also the problem of Blackmagic, this mac is one year old and was recommended by Blackmagic.

1. Every other codec = zero problems editing
2. Only BRAW footage is unstable.

So just blame it on the hardware? What do you think Apple is saying to me? They Will scan the iMac and tell me there are no problems. It is the software that is faulty.

I was a big Blackmagic fan, but this BRAW codec is so unstable, so when a system has any “hardware problems”, the footage will get corrupt. It is a big shame that Blackmagic won’t help me. I was one of the first users that shot a feauture film with it. If Blackmagic is serious about their business and if they want to level up in the film industry than they should help me with this. If not? Then the BRAW codec is in my opinion a Mickey Mouse codec. BRAW is great if it works, but if you have any problem with it, don’t contact Blackmagic, we only sell camera’s and take money. Just figure it out by yourself. Blackmagic is not the problem, but your other hardware is. I’m sick how they treath their customers like they are pets.

So if someone is planning to get in the BRAW eco-system, I don’t recommend to do. It maybe looks like a good deal for such a cheap camera. But in the end, you pay the bill. Better spending a bit more and get a real pro level camera.

My opinion about BRAW codec:
If you are a professional filmmaker? Look further for other camera brands like Canon/Sony/RED. Simply because BRAW is a codec you can’t trust. And in filmmaking world there is nothing more important that you can trust your gear.

I have worked a lot with professional Sony camera’s for years, never had corrupt footage. And if their was a problem, they fix it as soon as possible. So we can continue shooting because that’s our business where we earn money. When I have a problem with Blackmagic, no one hears me. This forum is great because of all the good people that want to help me which I’m very thankfull. But I think this problem is a lot deeper. I contacted blackmagic also directly, they never told me what the real problem is. They have all the crash reports that they asked for but I think they can’t even read them or they are lazy to do.

I just pulled the trigger and invested in a new Apple system. Just because I have to finish my projects. When they are done I’m selling all my Blackmagic camera’s and getting out of the BRAW system. Simply because this is not a workflow that I trust anymore.

I want to thank all the nice people here at this forum that helped me.

BR

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 am

I can understand your frustration, but there is definitely something wrong with your configuration or hardware. We have three BM cameras at a film academy, next to Arris, Reds, Sonys.
Students shoot BRAW and grade in Resolve and I've never seen such an issue (apart from the one bad reader I mentioned).

Sad to see you go, you may be missing the good stuff this ecosystem has to offer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

peterjackson

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 7:36 am

schepers wrote:
Glenn Venghaus wrote:

It is also the problem of Blackmagic, this mac is one year old and was recommended by Blackmagic.

So just blame it on the hardware? What do you think Apple is saying to me? They Will scan the iMac and tell me there are no problems. It is the software that is faulty.

I was a big Blackmagic fan, but this BRAW codec is so unstable, so when a system has any “hardware problems”, the footage will get corrupt. It is a big shame that Blackmagic won’t help me. I was one of the first users that shot a feauture film with it. If Blackmagic is serious about their business and if they want to level up in the film industry than they should help me with this. If not? Then the BRAW codec is in my opinion a Mickey Mouse codec. BRAW is great if it works, but if you have any problem with it, don’t contact Blackmagic, we only sell camera’s and take money. Just figure it out by yourself. Blackmagic is not the problem, but your other hardware is. I’m sick how they treath their customers like they are pets.

So if someone is planning to get in the BRAW eco-system, I don’t recommend to do. It maybe looks like a good deal for such a cheap camera. But in the end, you pay the bill. Better spending a bit more and get a real pro level camera.

If you are a professional filmmaker? Look further for other camera brands like Canon/Sony/RED. Simply because BRAW is a codec you can’t trust. And in filmmaking world there is nothing more important that you can trust your gear.

I have worked a lot with professional Sony camera’s for years, never had corrupt footage. And if their was a problem, they fix it as soon as possible. So we can continue shooting because that’s our business where we earn money. When I have a problem with Blackmagic, no one hears me. This forum is great because of all the good people that want to help me which I’m very thankfull. But I think this problem is a lot deeper. I contacted blackmagic also directly, they never told me what the real problem is. They have all the crash reports that they asked for but I think they can’t even read them or they are lazy to do.

I just pulled the trigger and invested in a new Apple system. Just because I have to finish my projects. When they are done I’m selling all my Blackmagic camera’s and getting out of the BRAW system. Simply because this is not a workflow that I trust anymore.

BR
Stop whining and blaming others for your failure to diagnose basic hardware issues.

You can always mount your footage read only to exclude any possibility of anything changing it.

This is basic computer knowledge. If you can't do it, pay someone to help you and move on with your business.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 5:31 pm

schepers wrote:
Glenn Venghaus wrote:

BR

You can have your opinion.
Problem is that 1000s of other BM camera users simply won’t agree with you as your case is an isolated incident which proves nothing ( based on your descriptions and taken actions).
It’s same as saying - I got flat tire, so I think my new car is rubbish and useless. I will never buy it again.

schepers

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 7:37 pm

peterjackson wrote:You can always mount your footage read only to exclude any possibility of anything changing it.

Did that, again corrupt footage.

Glenn Venghaus

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 8:24 pm

schepers wrote:
peterjackson wrote:You can always mount your footage read only to exclude any possibility of anything changing it.

Thats the point where you loose any further help from anyone serious here as you just proved yourself that it is NOT blackmagics software at fault as a read only mounted storage can not be touched by software. So it helps if you can undersand and interpret the results of your own testing at least.
We are typicaly super helpfull bunch but we have to assume some basic and reasonable troubleshooting skills. And based on all we get back from you sofar there is no serious helpfull way anymore to help. Sorry.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 10:23 am

schepers wrote:

Which is 100% proof that it has nothing to do with any software (not just BM), but some system/hardware issue.

schepers

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 1:16 pm

I did a last test. Clean install with Catalina 10.15.7, Davinci 16.2.8.005

Testing it for 4 hours now and I've got zero glitches and no corrupt footage.

Glenn Venghaus

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 1:46 pm

schepers wrote:I did a last test. Clean install with Catalina 10.15.7, Davinci 16.2.8.005

Testing it for 4 hours now and I've got zero glitches and no corrupt footage.
Cool, that is progress. Still hope you figure it all out eventualy.
If it works, dont change anything !

RealSting

PostSat May 01, 2021 5:48 pm

schepers wrote:Again the same problem in a file. See attachment

System specs:

OSX: MacOS Cataluna / 10.15.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
72 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Davinci version:
17.0B BUILD 7
Are you using Noise Reduction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

schepers

PostSat May 01, 2021 6:06 pm

RealSting wrote:
schepers wrote:Again the same problem in a file. See attachment

System specs:

OSX: MacOS Cataluna / 10.15.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
72 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Davinci version:
17.0B BUILD 7
Are you using Noise Reduction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not specific for this tests

Open-ki

PostWed Oct 19, 2022 8:04 am

Had something like OPs initially described problem this week. Even Blackmagic player showed digital artefacts in .braw files at the same timestamp as in Davinci Resolve. Copying "damaged" files to another computer brought the "damage" over as well.

Check connectivity, e.g. always connect external disks or HDD docks straight to motherboard ports, check if HDDs are inserted properly, and check cable integrity!

In my case, HDD docking stations were connected to a Mac Mini via Thunderbolt to USB hub. The problem was solved on the spot after reconnecting straight to USB-A ports.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve