how do I edit color on just the green screen clip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ajzapf

how do I edit color on just the green screen clip

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 3:48 am

I have my green screen clip and my background clip. I have done the magic in fusion and all is great (see clip 1). Now I am in Color and I want to balance the color on just the single green screen clip (see clip 2) and its changing the color on both, how can I do this?

Thanks, John

clip 1.JPG
clip 1.JPG (330.1 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

I just want to edit the color on the left one, want to blend them, so how can I edit just the one?

clip 2.JPG
clip 2.JPG (353.79 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

when I adjust the color its adjusting both clips, I need to just adjust the color on the green screen clip.
Dad • IT Pro • Photographer • YouTube Creator
Windows 11, DaVinci Resolve 18.6, Studio One 6 Pro
Dell R7920 2x Xeon Gold 6242R 3.10GHz, 40-Cores, 64GB DDR4 RAM
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, 2 Dell UP2516D Monitors
2 WD BLACK 1TB NVMe - 36TB's on Server Drive

Steve Alexander

Re: how do I edit color on just the green screen clip

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 1:02 pm

You would probably do your correction inside the Fusion page but you may also be able to add a second output node in the Fusion page and access that in the color page (the second output node in Fusion would be the foreground image and presumably you can access that in the color page). I haven't tried this second approach but in theory it should work. Hopefully someone else here can fill in the details. Meanwhile, I'll give it a try to see if I can work it out.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 1:10 pm

My thinking was a bit wrong - you probably have to do the greenscreen in Fusion and then leave the background out of the result (in the Fusion page) and use a lower video layer in the edit page to separate the two... Unless you can feed the alpha channel to the color page from Fusion...

Add - actually - I was able to create a MediaOut2 in the Fusion page and feed that the image with alpha (the result of the green screen foreground) and then on the color page I created a second input channel on the node (using Add Source) and fed that as the alpha to the color node... Then when I manipulate the node color, it only changes the color of the foreground object. I have no idea if that will do the job in your case - you may be better off with using two layers on the edit page with the top layer being your green screen foreground from Fusion.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 1:59 pm

What Steve mentions (and which is described in the manual as well) is that there is an option for Fusion to output the alpha channel seperately and then use that as a matte to constrict the color operation to the foreground footage.

The thing is that traditionally you'd want the complete composit to be done in the Fusion page, both foreground and background and the combination of the two, because it will allow you to for example blend the foreground and background together with an edgeblur that will make the composit more seamless.
Also changing the grade of your foreground element will also change the color of the edges themselves, so what might have been an unobtrusive key, may turn out to be very noticeable when you start grading the foreground element. That's why you might want to consider doing it all in Fusion. It can do almost all the grading you would do in the color page as well, it's just that the values/UI don't match.

If you really want to do your grading in the color page, you could consider doubling up your foreground footage. Do a quick, basic key inside of Resolve, grade the footage to your liking to match with the background, then remove the key, but keep the grading. Turn the graded clip in a compound clip and use that inside the Fusion page *with* the original ungraded foreground clip in the Fusion page, key the ungraded one, use the alpha on the graded compound clip and finesse everything together in the Fusion page.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

ajzapf

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 3:08 pm

Thank you. yes the key was to do the color editing in fusion. not sure why they have a color edit tab then? but yes it worked fine in fusion.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 3:53 pm

The Color tab in edit is - because of the way it is implemented - usually a lot quicker and more interactive than doing your color in Fusion. The color page is based on the tools a colorist would seek and use, while the Fusion page is based on creating composits which sometimes involves color grading, but not always.

Sometimes you want a very neutral composit to come out of Fusion so that the end result (or intermediate result actually) can be graded together with the rest of the shots.

Also, Fusion is by design more 'shot' based i.e. it's intended to work on one shot at a time, while the grading in the color page can work on seperate clips, timelines, groups etc.

They have overlapping qualities but have different intended uses.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

ajzapf

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 5:21 pm

I know, I was just being sarcastic as I was very frustrated that I could separate the clips and edit the color in "color"

Thanks, John

wfolta

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 6:59 pm

If you really want to blow your mind -- it did mine -- people pull keys in Color. Pull the key, then color correct right there, and output the alpha. Composite in Edit. There's even a "split screen" option that will place your keyed foreground over arbitrary backgrounds for adjustment.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

lost_soul

PostMon Sep 27, 2021 1:32 am

I would get a job as a janitor before I would color grade in fusion. My work around is disable track two go tweek in the color page then re-enable track two. But being able to color grade individual clips in the color page should be be a feature add.

I rermember seeing a YT video that showed how to reuse your mask in two different nodes so that it selects the foreground in one node then you invert it in the second node to work on the background. I would think it would be a parallel node op but I haven't gotten it to work yet. If I find the link to the video I will post it.
Centos 8
RX 580
AMDGPU-pro
Studio (What ever the latest is)

Return to DaVinci Resolve