Freeze on certain clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

G0bble

Freeze on certain clips

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 12:18 pm

Hey Folks
Curiously after the update the the latest studio drivers things were looking good. Then I started a new project created a draft timeline from the cut page with source media on HDD then did some Media-Management to copy the trimmed footage to the nvme disk and relinked to the new folder to grade the project.

Now every other clip is playing 3 sec freezing 1 sec playing 3 sec freezing 1 sec.. almost like there is some kind of bottleneck that the system is playing catch up with. A few clips are smooth all the way without a single freeze. All the clips have the same power grade applied with only slight variations depending on ambient light levels... Task manager does not show any activity for the HDD and all clips appear to be on the nvme drive only if I open media location...

This is making me do a lot of head scratching from last few days and I am unable to continue with my project ...

Edit: By chance I selected "Gang Viewer Zoom with Video Output" and magically the problem went away. Not sure if the data throughput becomes a bottleneck when viewer is not ganged with clean-feed? Assuming "Gang" means synchronised there is only one data stream to process perhaps?

Another problem I forgot to mention still remains - many clips still playback at 9-15 fps instead of 30fps
while other clips are fine... wierd...
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

andygrabo

Re: Freeze on certain clips

PostSat Feb 06, 2021 5:39 pm

Hey, I kinda have the same problem. For me it helped to turn OFF "decode h264/h265 using hardware acceleration" in the Preferences >> Decode Options. I know, this isn't exactly what I want either, but it helps until a "real" fix is found.

G0bble

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 3:06 pm

The funny things is that the clips play fine at 30fps in the Media tab, but the same clips on the timeline playback at 15fps even with all nodes disabled i.e no further processing retaining the original imported look. I am unable to continue my project since a week now.

Disable h/w decode did not work for me.
DVR Studio
Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 3900X, Nvidia RTX 3080FE,32GB RAM, SM951 M.2 AHCI SSD Boot, 512GB WD Blue nvme scratch

G0bble

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 11:20 am

And so for the umpteenth time, I am able to resolve stuttering and freezing playback by simply creating a new timeline .. this time I exported an EDL file of the original timeline and imported it back to recreate the cuts and clip lengths exactly as the original. The color grades didn't get copied over so then I have to do repeat copy-pasting of each node from the color tab in the old timeline to a node of the new timeline for each and every clip . This is turning out to be quiet laborious - having to manually add-serial-node in the new timeline clips color tab, to match node for node the clip in the original corrupt timeline then switch back and forth as I copy each node grade individually to paste it for every clip ... sigh! I want to simply drag-select-all nodes in original timeline clip and switch to new timeline clip and paste them all in one shot - even if its per clip its ok as Is till save on a substantial effort - How can I do that? Resolve seems to require an existing node to paste another nodes grade into it ...

I am not sure why the timeline keeps suffering some form of internal corruption that results in this behavior but I have been plagued by it from the start years back and as a total novice it has been a huge source of delay and frustration to me over the years...

Edit: 1) Right-Click each Clip in Original Timeline 2) Grab Still 3) Switch to New Timeline 4) Apply Grade from Still 5) Delete All Stills ... Done!
DVR Studio

Laccolith

PostSat Sep 18, 2021 8:27 pm

Also you can check Live Save option in Preferences - User tab - Project save and load menu.

I found unce it is on, after some operations in edit in color whole Resolve freezes for 1-2 seconds.

So these constant saves may affect workflow.

Once I disabled that, freezes gone.

Return to DaVinci Resolve