Editing question: preserving A/V sync while editing audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gandsound

Editing question: preserving A/V sync while editing audio

PostMon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 pm

Hi there,

I am working on a multicam classical music performance project where video and audio are recorded simultaneously. I'm syncing audio and video via sound, and I'd like to be able to edit different takes together when necessary. For example, I've created multicam clips from two takes and brought them into a timeline—I'd like to splice/crossfade these two takes together in Fairlight and have the associated video tracks remain synced with their respective audio tracks, but after editing the two audio tracks together in Fairlight, the second video track is left in its old position and is no longer in sync with its audio. Any advice on how to accomplish this task without having to sync the video manually?

Many thanks

Jim Simon

Re: Editing question: preserving A/V sync while editing audi

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Linked Selection is enabled? (Chain icon to the right of the magnet, right below the transport controls.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

gandsound

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 6:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Linked Selection is enabled? (Chain icon to the right of the magnet, right below the transport controls.)
Yes, I have tried various combinations of linking and locking on the Edit page, but any subsequent movements of the audio tracks in Fairlight results in video going out of sync when returning to the Edit page.

gandsound

PostTue Feb 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Pretty sure I've figured this issue out through trial and error—the out of sync material shows up with a red box that you can right-click and "move/slip into place," which essentially solves the problem. But if there's a better way to manage this issue, please let me know.

Jim Simon

PostWed Feb 10, 2021 4:50 pm

gandsound wrote:linking and locking on the Edit page

No, no. On the Fairlight page. Linked Selection is enabled?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

dsol1980

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:05 pm

yeah guys - strange. It used to work that I could move around audio clips on the fairlight page and it would move the corresponding video on the edit page. The ctrl+shift+L linked selection is enabled, but now it's simply moving the audio and not the corresponding video, thereby making the audio and video out of sync.... This is a new problem I think? I would like the ability to link to the video clip when moving audio..

Return to DaVinci Resolve