Vertical Screen Layout

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rovorob

Vertical Screen Layout

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 7:22 pm

Hello,
I've switched to using my screen vertically a few months back, and have no plans of going back to layout. Is there any way to adjust the panes so that they can be resized? Currently I struggle to get my Workspace Pane and Source Viewer to fit in the screen.

Would be great if panels could stack more or be more resizable.

I realize this is probably a very unconventional approach.

Thanks for any insights.
Rob

Jim Simon

Re: Vertical Screen Layout

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 11:30 pm

That kind of flexibility doesn't exist.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ttakala

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 11:38 pm

The panels in Resolve don't have much customizability apart from resizing and collapsing and there are limitation to those too. No reorganizing. So I don't know how well you can organize things to suit a vertical screen. I find that two (horizontal) screens helps a lot. Get a secondary monitor, doesn't even have to be great quality for UI and they are cheap second hand, depending where you live, of course.

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 2:51 am

I'd rather get a tablet and Luma Fusion.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 am

rovorob wrote:I've switched to using my screen vertically a few months back, and have no plans of going back to layout. Is there any way to adjust the panes so that they can be resized? Currently I struggle to get my Workspace Pane and Source Viewer to fit in the screen. Would be great if panels could stack more or be more resizable.

You can't do that, but there are positive benefits from going to the 2-display option for Resolve. This basically puts all your Edit Bins and options on one side, and your Timeline on the other; on the Color page, you get your Gallery Stills and thumbnails/Lightbox and keyframes on one side, and your Timeline and Node Window on the other. We add a third display for scopes inbetween.

I don't think a vertical screen is supported on Baselight, Nucoda, or many other color correction programs. I don't know enough about Premiere and Avid to know if that's possible or workable.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

davidjoshua

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 7:33 pm

In the age of Tiktok, Reels, and Shorts... BMD definitely needs to make Resolve's layout adaptable for editing vertical videos. The 9x16 canvas becomes so minute within the 16x9 window that you can't make good edit decisions.

I'd like to see an option for vertical video that fills the top to bottom of a horizontal computer monitor, placed on the far right or left, so that timelines and windows can be used alongside it.

Michel Rabe

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 10:19 pm

davidjoshua wrote:I'd like to see an option for vertical video that fills the top to bottom of a horizontal computer monitor, placed on the far right or left, so that timelines and windows can be used alongside it.

Hate to say it but...yeah, must-be feature in the near future. Sigh.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:22 am

davidjoshua wrote:In the age of Tiktok, Reels, and Shorts... BMD definitely needs to make Resolve's layout adaptable for editing vertical videos. The 9x16 canvas becomes so minute within the 16x9 window that you can't make good edit decisions.

There's nothing stopping you from editing in a 9x16 display using a Blackmagic UltraStudio or Decklink adapter on a separate monitor. Works fine. We deliver all kinds of social media versions all the time when a client asks for them.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Charles Bennett

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:48 am

You could do this with two monitors using Video Clean Feed in the Studio version of Resolve.
Attachments
1080 x 1920 Timeline.jpg
1080 x 1920 Timeline.jpg (258.99 KiB) Viewed 2253 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Michel Rabe

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:26 am

Marc Wielage wrote:There's nothing stopping you from editing in a 9x16 display using a Blackmagic UltraStudio or Decklink adapter on a separate monitor. Works fine. We deliver all kinds of social media versions all the time when a client asks for them.

I guess the idea is to do it without additional hardware / second monitor.
I imagine it like this: pop up the lightweight laptop, edit, slam some EDM from Artlist on it, grade, send it to the kingdoms of transient internet glory.

I hate it but any NLE will have to adapt to this age of content creation and DR is not a colorist's niche software anymore.

Return to DaVinci Resolve