in and out points ignored in cut page (using speed editor)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bcoope

in and out points ignored in cut page (using speed editor)

PostWed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 pm

Having an issue in the cut page where setting in and out points in source tape are ignored when appending the clip to the timeline. This starts happening after a few minutes (it works at first) of making selects.

Bruceqld

Re: in and out points ignored in cut page (using speed edito

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 7:59 am

You aren't by any chance hitting the source button a second time after setting the I/O points before appending it to the timeline are you? If you do this, only the I/O section appears in the source viewer, however it clears the original I/O settings. If a second I/O is not set, the whole source clip is appended to the timeline, not just what appears in the source viewer. This is certainly counter intuitive, however support insist it is an intended behaviour.

Just make sure you append/insert after setting the first I/O. If you hit source after setting your I/O, think of it as zooming in to refine your selection. You need to set new I/O before appending to the timeline.
Davinci Resolve 18.5.1, Intel i9, 64gb RAM, Windows 11, Nvidia 3090 24gb, RME Fireface UFX, Speed Editor.

bcoope

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 pm

I havent been hitting source twice when getting this issue, although i have tried it to get into the individual clip that I am trying to append and then insert it but still no luck. it seems to be a behaviour that starts after a few minutes of use on the cut page (so could very well be something i am accidently clicking, just dont know what).

Bruceqld

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 12:24 am

bcoope wrote:I havent been hitting source twice when getting this issue, although i have tried it to get into the individual clip that I am trying to append and then insert it but still no luck. it seems to be a behaviour that starts after a few minutes of use on the cut page (so could very well be something i am accidently clicking, just dont know what).

Yes - you would think that only the selected individual clip would be inserted after that second source hit to isolate the selection in the viewer. Confusingly that is not the case.

I have not seen this issue after an I/O selection myself without that second source press.
Davinci Resolve 18.5.1, Intel i9, 64gb RAM, Windows 11, Nvidia 3090 24gb, RME Fireface UFX, Speed Editor.

hansinla

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 7:33 am

bcoope wrote:I havent been hitting source twice when getting this issue, although i have tried it to get into the individual clip that I am trying to append and then insert it but still no luck. it seems to be a behaviour that starts after a few minutes of use on the cut page (so could very well be something i am accidently clicking, just dont know what).

I have seen the same issue. Restarting Resolve and it works again.
    MacBook Pro Apple M3 CPU - 16GB
    Mac OS 14.3
    DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4

bcoope

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 1:06 am

still happening, not pressing the source button twice, also happening straight away after opening resolve.
the cut page is just totally ignoring the in and out points on the source tape.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 am

can u take a phone video showing the UI and speed editor at the same time and repo this so we can see.. i dont get the issue u report.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

tvchris

PostFri May 14, 2021 11:42 am

Wondering if there was ever a resolution to this problem. I’m seeing the same thing on my Mac. Source tape is essentially unusable.

MathiasKindsholm

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 am

I sporadically have the same issue. Some time in/out work on append, but often they don't. It's terrible to realize only after going through an hour of material.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 5:48 am

And we still have no way to repo .. a phone video might help

tvchris

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Hello Peter,

Here is a video of this issue happening. Basically you set an in and out in the source tape, and if you drag down it drags all of your clips down. If you 'place on top' or other similar edit, it places the ENTIRE clip from the corresponding in and out, ie, ignoring the In and Out completely.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Just tried to reproduce this and cannot however many I/Os, Appends, or Place on Tops I do.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Devonavar

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 6:40 pm

I am seeing this issue on the edit page. If it's important, I do have a speed editor plugged in, but I'm not using it when the issue occurs.

It's a pretty obvious bug: Set in & out on the source viewer, insert the edit to the timeline, and the whole clips shows up instead of the subclip indicated by in & out.

I can reset things to normal if I let the bug insert the whole clip to the timeline, *delete* (not undo) the clip, and then set an In/Out point and proceeding as normal. Undoing the error seems to lock the bug in place.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

kinvermark

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 9:59 pm

If you have set in/out properly you would see this in the cut page (note white box around section of clip):

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (84.76 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

In the youtube video posted above, this box is missing, and then later appears momentarily, then disappears before adding to timeline. Without any description of what keys are being pressed, it is hard to know if this is operator error, but certainly seems to be.

Cannot reproduce issue in either cut or edit pages.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Devonavar

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 10:04 pm

The key sequence to reproduce in the Edit page:

Q (to select Source Viewer)
SPACE (to playback)
I (to set in point)
O (to set out point)
<alternately, sometimes I hit Ctrl-H, which I've assigned to "Set In/Out Points from Duration Marker". How I set the in/out points doesn't seem to matter>
F9 (to insert the edit to the timeline).

99% of the time this works fine. Sometimes it doesn't, and the entire clip gets inserted to the timeline. It's not operator error, this is the most basic operation of editing which I've done hundreds of times. When it doesn't work, something is broken. I wish I could identify what makes it break, but I haven't figured that out yet. That's what this thread is for.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

kinvermark

PostTue Jul 06, 2021 10:28 pm

Devon, my comments only apply to the video posted by tvchris as obviously I had no insight into what you are doing, and your situation is not identical (i.e. using "convert from duration marker" etc.)

Like I said, in the video a highlight box is created, then disappears prior to adding the clip - which seems like something is being done incorrectly. Yes? Am I missing something? Perhaps the originator tvchris can comment.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 5:13 am

For those that see this.. please try to make a simple 3 clip timeline that shows this and the archive the project and post here so we can repo. im afraid i dont see it

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jul 08, 2021 8:05 pm

I'm not seeing this if I either use the Speed Editor in the Cut or Edit pages, or use Devon's key sequence in the Edit page.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

tvchris

PostMon Jul 12, 2021 5:45 pm

I made a (hopefully) better version of the video to show what was happening with some more context. This appears to be happening only on Macs. I have four Macs at work, all tied to a server, all showing the same behavior in source tape on the cut page. I run Resolve at home on a PC and don't see this issue.

kashseff

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 9:48 am

Bumping this because I'm experiencing exactly the same thing with the Speed editor in Resolve 18.

I have 4 clips in.a source tape and the in and out point work just fine until I reach the last clip which have my pickups. I add a new track on top and try to use place on top for the clips but it places the entire clip onto track 2. I notice when I use in and out keys, it doesn't highlight the section of the in and out, almost as if it's ignoring my in and out keypresses, either on the Speed Editor or the keyboard. I have to use the markers underneath and slide them with the mouse but this makes the cut points highly inaccurate.

I'm using a 32gb MacBook Pro M1 Max with 32 core GPU.

chfilm

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 4:58 pm

For me it was solved by pressing the source button again on the keyboard after making the in and out selection. before that, resolve would ignore my in and out points, dont know why, makes no sense to me. but like this it works.

Return to DaVinci Resolve