trimming multiple clips at once

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

andzei

trimming multiple clips at once

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 1:12 pm

I have a timeline with thousands of fusion titles, at some point something went wrong and all the titles have 2 black frames before the animation starts. Is there a way of cutting off 2 frames from head / trimming multiple clips at the same time?

Many thanks for your help!

Dave Shortman

Re: trimming multiple clips at once

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 3:55 pm

andzei wrote:I have a timeline with thousands of fusion titles, at some point something went wrong and all the titles have 2 black frames before the animation starts. Is there a way of cutting off 2 frames from head / trimming multiple clips at the same time?

Many thanks for your help!

Multi-select all the clips you want to trim down, hover over the first clip (or maybe any of the clips) where you get the trim handle and drag it back a couple of frames, might even work with the keyboard shortcut for trim head which i can't remember off the top of my head , or . maybe?

andzei

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Dave, thanks for your reply!

Yes, i thought it should work this way, but somehow it doesn't. Each time I click on trim handle, it just selects the trim handle for one clip, not the rest. What's the name of command for keyboard shortcut? (i've changed most of default shortcuts).

John Paines

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 6:31 pm

On the Edit page, go into Trim mode, select all clips with a ctrl-mouse lasso, hit "u" repeatedly to select the edge you want to to trim, then the usual keyboard trim shortcuts, , or .

Paul Carlin

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Thank you John, most useful info. I should add that you may want to exclude the first and last events to avoid a zero frame head or tail situation preventing you from trimming.
Professional Problem Solver

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Feb 09, 2022 11:14 pm

its not working... i want to take away the first frames of all clips as theyre usually shaky... doesn't work :(
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Peter Cave

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 4:24 am

aquinox wrote:its not working... i want to take away the first frames of all clips as theyre usually shaky... doesn't work :(

I made a video showing how to do it.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

aquinox

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 12:48 pm

Thx! It shows red sides instead of green... what is the problem? just unedited clips in the timeline which I want to chop off first shakys econds.
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)

bounceHouse

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 3:53 pm

Red borders indicate that the (video) clip is at the content's limit - that it can be trimmed in but not extended out. Green indicates that the edge can be trimmed or extended.

So it makes sense that the border is red, as you said the clips include the edges of the content, and you want to trim in what is being used on the timeline.

The red border would not prevent you from click-dragging as @PeterCave's video. Two things that might prevent you are:
1) having the wrong left/both/right portion of the clip edges selected... that's what the 'u' key toggles between that @JohnPaines and Peter were discussing

2) if you control-click-drag the leftmost clip for example, the selection of that edge toggles, so if you already had it on then it can no longer move... which means that none of the selected clips will drag. So if you are having trouble, try just click-drag on one of the selected edges (without control-clicking) to see all the selected edges trimming, or try first control-clicking that edge to toggle it, and then control-click-dragging that edge.
PC Win 10 Pro, 64GB ram; NVidia 522.30; dual monitor; RTX 3080 (10GB); auto/CUDA processing mode; SSD cache, separate SSD for data; Davinci Studio 19b1 build

Peter Cave

PostFri Feb 11, 2022 2:10 am

aquinox wrote:Thx! It shows red sides instead of green... what is the problem? just unedited clips in the timeline which I want to chop off first shakys econds.

What is it you don't understand about how to do this trimming?
Mac Studio Max 32GB

aquinox

PostTue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 am

nothing, i repeat the steps and it just trims a single clip whilst holding ctrl...
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Peter Cave

PostTue Mar 01, 2022 4:46 am

aquinox wrote:nothing, i repeat the steps and it just trims a single clip whilst holding ctrl...

You may have missed something in the video I made.
You MUST follow the video exactly.

Did you use Trim Mode to select the clip edges first?
Did you use the "U" key to select the incoming/outgoing/both clip boundary?
Did you then press and hold the Command key before doing the trim?

Does your screen and edge selection look the same as the one in my video?
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostTue Mar 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Working here in Studio 17.4.3 for Windows when following Peter's steps.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

hutber

PostSun May 14, 2023 6:30 pm

Could I ask what the command key is on linux?

Return to DaVinci Resolve