Animating text (the words, not the position!)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sunsetandlabrea

Animating text (the words, not the position!)

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 4:54 pm

I would like to add an animated date text to a video, imagine a time lapse video where the date is displayed in part of the video. I want a start date and end date, and for the date to update of a certain number of frames.

I see there are some options for burn-in but they are all related to pre-set times, or dates of the video, etc. This needs to be more free flow.

I assume in order to define the format I need, that I will probably need to use scripting?

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Richard

Sander de Regt

Re: Animating text (the words, not the position!)

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 pm

If you're willing to use the Fusion page you can probably get a lot done without scripting.
Can you give a concrete example what you would like to do?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

sunsetandlabrea

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to have text with a date, for example 1st January 1900 and over a fixed number of frames count up to the present, stepping to every date in between (2nd, 3rd, and so on)

Sander de Regt

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Well, if you need to have text you'll probably going to need some sort of scripting.
(or just muscle through it by doing some manual labor once and keep the template around for future reference)
The easiest way in that sense is probably to create animated text tools for the dates and the months and then use timestretchers to retrieve the values that you need and them combine those with animated years in a final title. Of course depending on the amount of time you need to cover you can't show all inbetween dates, so there will be skips etc. so how accurate does it need to be?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to DaVinci Resolve