Decompose in place trashes sizing info from FCP XML

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MattSteeves

Decompose in place trashes sizing info from FCP XML

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 5:54 pm

My workflow for this project involves cutting 4k footage in a 1080 timeline in FCPX. A lot of the clips have sizing and position changes. These 4k clips are "synchronized" clips meaning they are really compound clips with separate audio attached. I then import an XML timeline into DaVinci. Typically, I am used to "decomposing in place" in Davinci because if you skip this step on a compound clip, it will only render your timeline resolution (1080) instead of using the source resolution (4k). What I notice happening however is that once I decompose in place, all of the position and sizing information for that clip is reset. Because of this, I am having to copy and paste attributes one clip at a time once I get back into FCPX (which is obviously painful).

I'm hoping for a workaround, or a flaw in my workflow to get around this...any help is appreciated!

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 2

Re: Decompose in place trashes sizing info from FCP XML

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm

MattSteeves wrote:a flaw in my workflow to get around this.

Skip FCPX. Do it all in Resolve.

MattSteeves

Re: Decompose in place trashes sizing info from FCP XML

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 pm

Totally valid point, I hate FCP as much as the next editor but have been too busy to move over. Unfortunately I need a solution to finish this project in the mean time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve