Resolve 17 - Interlace not showing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Tomek Cobas

Resolve 17 - Interlace not showing?

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Hello

Interlaced footage seems to be automatically deinteralced even on interlaced timelines?
On timelines created inside R16 (and then opened in R17) i can see interlaced footage correctly but on timelines created within R17 - footage does not show as interlace on screen even with every seeting seemingly set to interlace.

Seems like file exported from R17 retains proper Field orders and fields are visible on rendered files when viewing in other software. But they are not visible while grading in R17 on timeline created with R17. Thus making it visually impossible to asses during grading if scenes have proper field orders or are interlaced ot not.

Is this a bug? or am i missing some new settings that needs to be enabled in order to work with interlaced material?

edit - also zooming mini timeline inside color page using mouse scroll - does not work :)

Uli Plank

Re: Resolve 17 - Interlace not showing?

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 1:17 am

In 17 de-interlacing is used automatically if the files are flagged correctly.
You can disable that in the Clip Attributes.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Tomek Cobas

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 4:09 pm

Files are correcly flagged as interlaced. Still, while grading the GUI viewer as well as deckling output to the reference display is showing the image as if it was progressive.

one more observation - In R16 (on my setup) rendering about 40min interlaced HD timeline took about 3 minutes - in R17 The same file (timeline created in R17) takes about 10 minutes now.
Attachments
Resolve02.jpg
File attributes
Resolve02.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
Resolve01.jpg
Master settings
Resolve01.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 10660 times

Tomek Cobas

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 4:24 pm

Ok - something counterintuitive is happenig here i think. Or i just dont get the logic.

When i manually flagged an interlaced clip in the clip atributes as "progressive"

Now the Gui viever shows the image correcly as interlaced. Decklink output on the other hand is a litlle finicky still. Field order seems to dynamically change? sometimes playback is smooth sometimes it's choppy. Same effect as playing interlaced material backward.
Attachments
Resolve03.jpg
Clip atrtibutes - interlaced clip manually flagged as progressive
Resolve03.jpg (6.31 KiB) Viewed 10657 times
Last edited by Tomek Cobas on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theo Van laar

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 pm

Tomek Cobas wrote: In R16 (on my setup) rendering about 40min interlaced HD timeline took about 3 minutes - in R17 The same file (timeline created in R17) takes about 10 minutes now.

It could be that you are using the DaVinci neural engine quality in R17. That takes longer.

Mario Kalogjera

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 4:40 pm

I think it's just Resolve showing one field during pause. Can't remember if and where you can change that like in Premiere but if you made an interlaced timeline, I suggest not to change anything and particularly DO NOT CHANGE THE INTERLACED CLIP TO PROGRESSIVE if you have set up the interlaced timeline. It is only logical that operations are performed on fields, not interlaced frames. In previous verions of Resolve you could see the interlace combing because Resolve didn't support interlaced timelines.
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

Tomek Cobas

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 5:58 pm

I agree that one should not flag interlace clips as progressive with no reason:) - this is why i said that something counterintuitive is happening here - because when i did that i think the image looked like it should look (interlaced - combing and all :) ). This was a testing scenario.

Blackmagic desktop video setup is set to display full frame on video output when paused - so interlace combing should be visible on pause . It is visible in Premiere with this setting and was visible in R16. Not so in R17. It is visible on pause in R17 when an interlaced clip is manualy flagged as progressive tho. So something is not quite right over here.

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 1:00 am

DR 17 is de-interlacing interlace to progressive fields and the quality with the neural engine is much better than in 16.
You can even get the full temporal resolution, like 50 fps from i25 or 60 fps from i30. You'll see that by stepping through frame-by-frame. On deliver you can re-interlace the project if needed – but who needs interlace these days? It's the 21. century!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Tomek Cobas

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 8:48 am

Uli Plank wrote:but who needs interlace these days? It's the 21. century!

Everyone who works professionally for any tv station that requires interlace material ? I dont know what Your experience is but in Europe there are still tv stations that require interlaced material to go to air, and their QC departments will not allow progresive shots inside their shows.

I think That you do not entirely undestand what im talking about. I get that i can use neural engine for diferent things like denterlacing or upscaling 2k to 4k etc. Those are things that i can do optionally , telling resolve to do that. Im talking about resolve not showing interlaced material properly on the screen. If resolve is doing that intentionally behind the scenes (deinterlacing interlaced material) then that is a bug in my opinion as this should not happen in any proffesional setting.

The problem with not seing the interlace combing in certain situations is that it prevents from determining on the fly if the material was corectly encoded or corecly prepped during editing or pre editing. On fast turnaround projects it is not that uncomon for editors to overlook if assistants created correct sequences (corect multiclip seqences or correct stringout seqences for B rolls or Intervies etc).Editors often dont work on proper pipelined reference monitors because the do not have to, so they dont see the diference between progressive and interlaced right away. But when grading i have to see on the fly if the material intented to be interlace is indeed interlaced. It might be the case that there is one or two progrresive shots (or entire scene for that matter) in the material (where there should be none) and it would be nice to be able to catch that on the fly, and not guess if that progressive shot is indeed progressive or maybe resolve is just showing me something incorectly.

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 am

Well, even if I have been working in Europe for years, where we did lots of interlaced stuff, I have nothing around to test here.
In this part of Asia, nobody cares for interlaced these days. From the younger folks, I get blank looks at the expression ;-)

But basically, it's like this: you disable de-interlacing by "lying" to Resolve and marking your footage as "progressive". Under "Video Monitoring" you set it to the desired interlace format, in your case probably 1080i 50 or PAL. Finally, you tell your I/O card via the Desktop App if you want to see a full frame or a single field when paused.

Something like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-28 um 16.26.10.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-28 um 16.26.10.png (119.86 KiB) Viewed 10560 times

Tomek Cobas

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:38 am

Yes that is what i did :) I "lied" to resolve by flagging interlaced clip as progressive and got desired effect - interlaced material showing as interlaced. But this should not work this way. making workarounds and cheating the software to work properly is never a good idea.

Why does this not work as it should and work and works in any other software? (including R16) You create an interlaced timeline - you put interlaced clip onto said timeline (and providing you got your other setting nailed down - like video monitoring ect) You get interlaced image on output.

That is why im suspecting this is an early bug, not a feature?

Tomek Cobas

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 9:47 am

Uli Plank wrote:In this part of Asia, nobody cares for interlaced these days. From the younger folks, I get blank looks at the expression ;-)

Yes i get that a lot :). There is now an entire generation of editors and people in media generally that never had to work with interlaced material. So it is more and more dificult to convey what interlace is when poeple have no real life reference and experience with it. Nevertheless some of us are still required to work with it :/

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 10:02 am

Is this on the release version of v17?
Which OS?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tomek Cobas

PostSun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 am

Hi - Peter

Yes it is the realese version.

DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.0

I got a prompt inside resolve about new version and downloaded it on friday.

System
Windows 10 Pro
version: 1909
Attachments
Resolve 5.jpg
Resolve 5.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 10530 times

movalex

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 10:29 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Is this on the release version of v17?
Which OS?

Same here on Windows 10 DR 17.0 build 39
The timeline is set to be interlaced (50 fields per second), `Enable Interlacing process` is checked in project settings, all clips are set to Auto - Upper (or can be manually set to Upper explicitly with the same result), Deliver settings are set to AVI - GrassValley - HQ 1920x1080 with `Interlaced rendering` checked, and rendered files are completely deinterlaced.
If the files are interpreted as progressive, they will be processed with fileds, but this still looks wrong, as these are not the same fields as they were filmed, but a reinterlaced ones. I can provide you a frame, and you'll see the fields look completely different after resolve processing.
This is very weird behavior, and it should be fixed.

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 11:55 am

Works for me here and it’s exactly the same approach Adobe has used in AE for years.

movalex

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 4:10 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Works for me here and it’s exactly the same approach Adobe has used in AE for years.

What exactly do you mean by 'works for me here'? Did you use the same build with the same parameters and it worked as expected? How on earth AE approach is relevant here?

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 am

It works for me in version 17 Studio and has been working in the beta too. Of course, the AE approach makes sense, since you have quite a few compositing features in DR. So, if you do anything that moves pixels around in the timeline, even simple transform options, you'd make a mess of your interlaced content.

So, the first step is to set your project up for interlace, like this:

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 14.34.11.png
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 14.34.11.png (124.52 KiB) Viewed 10416 times

It'll show you 50 progressive, interpolated fields now, easy to see by stepping through. For output, you use these settings (for DV, field sequence may be different depending on your sources):

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 14.37.37.png
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 14.37.37.png (74.91 KiB) Viewed 10416 times

Now, your footage will get re-interlaced and you can deliver it to any old tube. What's wrong with this?
BTW, it's all in the "New Features" manual on pages 24 and 25.

Tomek Cobas

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 8:22 am

These are not the same conditions at all. Please stop confunsing the matter.

You use diferent frame size for one - with diferent field order - You also use prores so i assume You ale on a mac not a windows PC. ? So You are not using the same "build" as stated in our examples. I should have stated from the get go the build and system . It's my fault that i didnt do that, but that was already clarified when Peter stepped in.

My question to You is, Why would it be nessesary for resolve to waste CPU or GPU power do deinteralce something and then reinteralce at the end when there is no need for that. I have interlaced clips recorded in camera and i want to export interlaced final product. There is no need for deinterlacing or reinterlacing here. Even if somehow that is how resolve works under the hood - than still when i set up interlaced timeline an put interlaced clips on it i expect to see interlaced image on output - it is as simple as that. And that is not what is happening for me in this current Windows build.

The "new features manual - page 24" is saying exactly what it should say. Basicaly if you have interlaced material and place in on interlaced timeline then you should get interlaced output.

furthermore from page 24 of said manual

"Deinterlacing is automatically applied to any interlaced video material that is placed in a progressive timeline"

This to me is perfectly fine. But this is not the case we are talking about. We are talking about interlaced timelines not progressive timelines.
Attachments
resolve 10.jpg
resolve 10.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 10393 times
Last edited by Tomek Cobas on Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 8:44 am

I give up.
One last info: of course, you can use another codec and even change the field order.
This is a codec popular with TV stations:

Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 15.46.49.png
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 15.46.49.png (60.64 KiB) Viewed 10396 times

P.S. Resolve is not just an editing software…

Tomek Cobas

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 9:02 am

I also have to give up - we seem to talk past each other.

P.S. I don't use resolve for editing.

movalex

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 10:16 am

Ok, at least now we've got something, as on the latest Windows build delivery page does not have correct framerate option. On your Mac screenshot it is 50i (as it should be, obviously). In my case it is 25fps, which is wrong and which is presumably causing the issue. So we've found the bug and I hope it is already addressed by Peter.

Uli Plank wrote:P.S. Resolve is not just an editing software…
No comments here. I believe BMD made a tremendous effort to make Resolve work natively with fields and correctly show them in the viewer, and when this little bug will be sorted out, Resolve will become fully production ready for me and for hundreds of my colleagues who still work with fields.
Last edited by movalex on Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkierEvans

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm

It works fine for me. I have tested with both an AVCHD file ( staying 1440x1080 like the original) and a VHS capture to DV 4:3 ( 720x480 ) on an interlaced timeline and exported to Grass Valley HQ or HQX and both show interlaced in Mediainfo as well as all the NLE's I have recognize as interlaced.

Am currently running the Resolve Studio Release 17. When I select interlaced in project settings for NTSC it does change from Frames to Fields in the selection box.

You can see my system spec.
Attachments
resolve interlace.jpg
resolve interlace.jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 10335 times
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Tomek Cobas

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:26 pm

Media info will tag the exported file as interlaced and so will other software. This is not the issue.

Can you actually visually identify on screen (viewer and/or external monitor) that the material is indeed interlaced? While grading and after export ?

SkierEvans

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 3:38 pm

Playback with VLC with de interlacing turned OFF show the interlacing on playback. So yes the files are interlaced.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

SkierEvans

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 4:04 pm

Yes the interlaced lines are visible on high contrast edges in the timeline too. Not as obvious as playback in VLC.

Maciej Frydrych

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 4:55 pm

For me not working correctly.
Rendering to 1080i50 in single clip give me progressive even if resolve tag it as upper field it is duplicated field in interlaced container(check it in Media Composer field by field).
Only rendering as individual clips it is interlace.

I have raport that in this post.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=135813

Offtopic- do you have problem with Pre-conformed edl, and load edl as cut list in scene cut detection? For me it always cut on wrong timecode. For 1080i50 project.
Raport that since first beta. (Windows 10 Pro)

-Maciej
Gigabyte x299 Designare EX- i9 - 16 core - 64GB RAM - Dual 1080 Ti - Areca 10 x 3Tb Raid 6. Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Resolve Studio 18.0.3 - BMD Decklink 4K Extreme- FSI CM250 - LG 55''OLED (lutbox) - BMD Mini Panel -BMD SmartScopeDuo 4K

movalex

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 5:04 pm

Ok, I've got the issue here. The timeline with the wrong 25 fps was an AAF imported from the other software. And despite both the timeline and the project was set to interlaced, internally Resolve was still processing as 25p, as is it clearly stated on this screenshot of the Media page.
I created a new timeline with correct framerate and now the delivery page shows correct value of 50i.
So it is not a Resolve internal bug afterall, but an interpretation mistake. To avoid this misleading in future, Resolve should not allow setting timeline to interlaced while it is processed internally as progressive.

Thanks @SkierEvans!

Maciej Frydrych

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 8:02 pm

movalex wrote:Ok, I've got the issue here. The timeline with the wrong 25 fps was an AAF imported from the other software. And despite both the timeline and the project was set to interlaced, internally Resolve was still processing as 25p, as is it clearly stated on this screenshot of the Media page.
I created a new timeline with correct framerate and now the delivery page shows correct value of 50i.
So it is not a Resolve internal bug afterall, but an interpretation mistake. To avoid this misleading in future, Resolve should not allow setting timeline to interlaced while it is processed internally as progressive.

Thanks @SkierEvans!

It was the problem. Thanks!
-Maciej
Gigabyte x299 Designare EX- i9 - 16 core - 64GB RAM - Dual 1080 Ti - Areca 10 x 3Tb Raid 6. Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Resolve Studio 18.0.3 - BMD Decklink 4K Extreme- FSI CM250 - LG 55''OLED (lutbox) - BMD Mini Panel -BMD SmartScopeDuo 4K

Tomek Cobas

PostTue Mar 02, 2021 11:07 pm

OK - I had to go back to R16 on my main machine so I did a clean Install of R17 on a laptop.

Windows 10 Home - Version 2004
DaVinci Resolve 17.0.0.0039

Clean new Database
New Project created inside Resolve 17

Interlaced clip on an interlaced timeline.

clip atributes: From Mediainfo
Format: ProRes 422HQ
Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 25fps
Chroma subsampling: 4:2:2
Scan Type: Interlaced
Scan Type, Store method: Inteleaved fields
Scan order: Top Field First

Screen grabs are from the GUI viewer - the viewer is zoomed in.
Attachments
Resolve - flagged as progrresive.png
Clip flagged as "progressive" in clip atributes
Resolve - flagged as progrresive.png (632.23 KiB) Viewed 10262 times
Resolve - flagged as upper.png
Clip flagged as "upper" in clip atributes
Resolve - flagged as upper.png (580.81 KiB) Viewed 10262 times
resolve settings.png
Settings
resolve settings.png (24.18 KiB) Viewed 10262 times

movalex

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 4:43 am

Tomek Cobas wrote:OK - I had to go back to R16 on my main machine so I did a clean Install of R17 on a laptop.

Check my previous post, the issue is incorrect fps setting of the timeline, and resolve allowing to change it to interlaced despite it is still processed as progressive. Check timeline fps in Media page

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 am

The screen grabs were from a new project and a new timeline created in R17. Not imported as AAF nor imported backups from R16.

As i said in my first post. Projects imported from R16 indeed do behave diferently that those created in R17.

Im glad it is working for you now, But i still cant reliably create an R17 project to work with interlaced material. What I can do is import a project created in r16, clean and rename it and then work in that project. Good enough workaround but one im not willing to do for everyday work for now.

So to sum up. Totally clean new project. Timeline setting below are correct in my view. If You think something should be changed, please correct me :) It seems im the only one that has a problem with this now and im starting to think im going mad :D
Attachments
Resolve timeline settings 02.png
Resolve timeline settings 02.png (24.24 KiB) Viewed 10201 times
Resolve timeline settings 01.png
Resolve timeline settings 01.png (20.59 KiB) Viewed 10201 times

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 am

Ok - one last bit of info to this puzzle.

The clip im testing this with, was rendered out from Premie Pro - to Prores - Interlaced

Media info recognizes the clip as 25 FPS - Interlaced.
R17 Also recognizes this clip as 25 FPS - Interlaced
The timeline in R17 is set to 50 FPS - interlaced.

I know 50 in this scenario should means fields and not frames (althought in media page the clip shows 4918 frames and the tilmeline 9836 frames - so there is that) but Maybe this mismatch is what is causing R17 to misbehave?

In R16 there is no such mismatch
The clip is recognized as 25FPS interlaced
The timeline is set to 25FPS with "Enable video field processing" on

Maby grabbing for straws here but im out of ideas for now :)
Attachments
Reolve 17 clip framrate 25.png
Reolve 17 clip framrate 25.png (9.61 KiB) Viewed 10187 times

movalex

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 am

As I previously mentioned, Resolve does not care at all, whether your timeline is set to fields if the timeline itself has 25fps in Media page. The only way to go is to have a 50fps timeline, which is not entirely correct of course, because we are talking about frames here, not fields. But anyway, try it yourself:
1) In Resolve 17 select the file in Media bin, interpret it as 25 fps with Upper field and create a Timeline from it (right click create Timeline from clip). The timeline will be marked as 50fps in Media bin.
2) Go to delivery page and you'll see a 50i option output. Now your rendered file will have native fields.

I understand there's a lot of confusion about this approach, I also was very frustrated once I've got no fields from what presumably looked like interlaced timeline, but that's how Resolve currently works. I hope development team will take all this inconvenience into consideration and make it less ambiguous.
Last edited by movalex on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am

That is exactly what I'm doing :) The final rendered file might be ok (that also was my initial observation im my first post) My concern for now is monitoring while grading. In this scenario to see interlaced material on screen i have to flag the clip as progressive in clip attributes. Otherwise i see a progrresive image on my reference. Call me old fashioned but i like to be able to visually identify on screen (for instance - when paused) if the shot im seeing is intelaced or not. :) Usefull thing when a show intended to be interlaced may have multiple progressive shots inside by mistake - and those shots need to be identified and replaced or "corrected.

movalex

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:47 am

Tomek Cobas wrote:I like to be able to visually identify on screen (for instance - when paused) if the image has intelace or not. :)

That a subject if another feature request to BMD team. Resolve shows only one field at the time (I guess it is upper). Grassvalley Edius can show either upper, or lower or both fields at the same time in the viewer, creating a jittery image, which is pretty convenient for oldfashioned guys like us. However I doubt BMD will go that far in this case, because, as mentioned early, interlaced editing is slowly becoming nonexistent. BTW, if you have a video output card, like Ultrastudio or Decklink, it has an option to output full frame to the monitor.
Last edited by movalex on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 9:53 am

Yes - as I posted eariler I have "Display full frame on video ouput when pasued" inside desktop video setup - enabled

Premiere shows intelace combing on pause
R16 also
R17 does not.

The GUI viewer in R17 also does not show the combing on pause when clip is flagged as interlaced upper. Only when flagged as progressive. as shown on the screen grabs before :)

movalex

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 10:46 am

Tomek Cobas wrote:The GUI viewer in R17 also does not show the combing on pause when clip is flagged as interlaced upper

Yes, it does not show combing now in GUI, and that's actually a great thing, because it is really hard to do any grading with these combs everywhere, especially when the viewer is not full screen. By the way, resolve has an 'Output single field when paused' option in UI settings, but this option does not affect anything in my case. According to manual,
"This setting will reduce flicker when grading using
a computer monitor or when working with interlaced material. Ordinarily, when viewing
interlaced material in Stop or Pause mode, field one is displayed followed by field two.
Depending on the image, this can result in a flicker on the display. When this option
is enabled, only field one will be shown on the monitor when playback is paused;
however both fields will be shown when the clips are played."

Check if it works for you, but I guess this is an outdated information. I agree that would be great to have an option to show both fields sometimes, preferably with the shortcut, but as I mentioned, that would be a subject of another feature request.

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 11:24 am

Yes i toggled that setting to check if it does something - but sadly no. :)

movalex wrote: I agree that would be great to have an option to show both fields sometimes, preferably with the shortcut, but as I mentioned, that would be a subject of another feature request.

I'm not entirely convinced that this is an another feature request matter :) . I still think that this is a bug and should be corrected. Because R16 is able to show combing (in viewer and on deckling output) when paused with interlaced clips on interlaced timeline. And R17 is also able to do that , but You have to falsley flag interlaced clips as progressive in order to make Resolve show the combing, and this is strange behaviour to me. If this is the new normal then guess I will have to adapt, but i suspect this is not the case or should not be the case - at least in my mind.

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 11:40 am

Maciej Frydrych wrote: Offtopic- do you have problem with Pre-conformed edl, and load edl as cut list in scene cut detection? For me it always cut on wrong timecode. For 1080i50 project.
Raport that since first beta. (Windows 10 Pro)

-Maciej

I ran a quick test with R17 and scene cut detection and can confirm that the conformed EDL wokrflow out of scene cut detection is not working properly now.

This workflow in Scene cut detection in previous verions of Resolve always was FPS dependent.

For instance if You scene cut a 25 fps clip, export conformed edl and then import that EDL into an 29fps timeline (Project) than the cuts would not be placed correcly on the clip.

With R17 this seems to be the case. (and this would also indicate that there is something wrong going on with 25Frames per second vs 50 Field per second nomenclature introduced in R17.

So this is how it goes for me

Scene cut flags clips frame rate as 50 and exports 50 fps edl - but the file from wich it was exported is 25fps interlaced, not 50.

So in my case the original clip has 4918 frames inside it - But Scene cut thinks that the file has 9836 frames inside it. The timeline in R17 is set to 50fps and also is showing in media page - 9836 frames.

When importing the 50fps pre conformed EDL onto a 25fps file - the resulting cuts on the timeline do not match the cuts in the clips.

Screen grabs below.
Attachments
Resolve scene cut edl 50fps.png
Scene cut detection edl export - only 50fps option avilable
Resolve scene cut edl 50fps.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 10118 times
Resolve scene cut test - media page.png
Media page - 50fps timelne vs 25fps interlaced clip
Resolve scene cut test - media page.png (9.54 KiB) Viewed 10119 times
Resolve scene cut test - resulting timeline.png
Resulting timeline - Cuts only placed on half of the clip.
Resolve scene cut test - resulting timeline.png (13.23 KiB) Viewed 10119 times

Maciej Frydrych

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 11:55 am

Tomek Cobas wrote:I ran a quick test with R17 and scene cut detection and can confirm that the conformed EDL wokrflow out of scene cut detection is not working properly now.

This workflow in Scene cut detection in previous verions of Resolve always was FPS dependent.

For instance if You scene cut a 25 FPS, export conformed edl and then import that EDL into an 29fps timeline (Project) than the cuts would not be placed correcly on the clip.

With R17 this seems to be the case. (and this would also indicate that there is something wrong going on with 25Frames per secon vs 50 Field per second nomenclature introduced in R17.

So this is how it goes for me

Scene cut flags clips frame rate as 50 and exports 50 fps edl - but the file from wich it was exported is 25fps interlaced, not 50.

So in my case the original clip has 4918 frames inside it - But Scene cut thinks that the file has 9836 frames inside it. The timeline in R17 is set to 50FPS and also is showing in media page - 9836 frames.

When importing the 50fps pre conformed EDL onto a 25fps file - the resulting cuts on teh timeline do not match the cuts in the clips.

Screen grabs below.

I have the same observations which I have raported to BMD since first beta :(
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=126716
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=128722
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=129309
Plus private message.

To workaround I make new project and:
- set timeline framerate 25, palyback 25
- load pre-conformed edl to cut properly - copy all clips
- make new timeline with 50 fps in timeline settings - paste poperly cuted clips
- export timeline (new function in 17) (you can not change project settings from 25 to 50)
- open project witch enabled field processing on
- import timeline
- now you can export with 50i
This work but as you see it is workaround. Realy hard to wotk that way if you have a lot of interlace project. I roolback to DRS 16.2.8.

-Maciek

movalex

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am

Wow, this issue has so many unexpected consequences, it should definitely be looked up by the support team. With this EDL problem caused by incorrect fps count, confusing 50 fps label for 50i timelines, Desktop video setup "Display full frame on video output" that has no effect unless the clip is set to progressive and "Output single field when paused" that does nothing at all - interlaced production in Resolve becomes quite a mess.

SkierEvans

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 3:28 pm

There is always this confusion of fps and fields/sec. Also the difference between fps interlaced and fps progressive. My understanding is that 25fps interlace is 50i, likewise 29.97fps interlaced is 59.94fields/sec. The frames are counted from the start of the interlace sequence ( 2 field pair, one odd one even and this is the timecode) I feel to be correct cuts should be at the start of a field sequence so coinciding with the frame timecode. Converting an interlaced clip to full progressive should interpolate the missing fields so will be equivalent to the field rate. 50i converts to 50P not 25P which then maintains the temporal motion of the interlaced file. So if you put a 25fps interlaced file on a 50P timeline it will be correct to show twice the frame rate of the original ( 25fps interlaced ) because now each field has been converted to a full frame.

Rui Branquinho

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 1:39 am

I'm not entirely convinced that this is an another feature request matter :) . I still think that this is a bug and should be corrected. Because R16 is able to show combing (in viewer and on deckling output) when paused with interlaced clips on interlaced timeline. And R17 is also able to do that , but You have to falsley flag interlaced clips as progressive in order to make Resolve show the combing, and this is strange behaviour to me. If this is the new normal then guess I will have to adapt, but i suspect this is not the case or should not be the case - at least in my mind.
Hi Tomek!
I was preparing a post on this subject, but made a quick search and found yours. I totally understand and agree with your point.
Real world scenarios still have to address proper interlaced workflows. If BMD improved processing of interlaced material (DR17 New Features Guide, page 24) one shouldn't have to "lie" in order to build an interlaced project.
After hundreds of similar projects in DR16 and previous versions, just completed my first interlaced project in DR17.1. Some thoughts and questions:
    1. New timeline scene cut and the older scene cut produce different results. The timeline Neural Engine version is much accurate, the legacy scene cut randomly alters field order between shots.
    2. In a new timeline, created from scratch or from the original clip, with 00:00:00:00 as starting timecode, the first frame has only one field (!), causing the sequence to start at the second field of frame zero. As a consequence, despite the original interlaced media is properly cut, with each shot starting at the first field of each frame, executing a timeline scene cut will produce a sequence in which every shot begins at the second field of a frame. Furthermore, if you match frame such a timeline to the original clip it will point to a different field! In a timeline created from an XML file this doesn't happen, starting TC ok.
    Timeline_original.jpg
    The image should show the same field, as TC is the same.
    Timeline_original.jpg (647.74 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

3. As for the video display output "bug" that you thoroughly mention, my understanding is simple. Once you lock the project to be 50 fields processing, what you actually see in your video monitor through the BMD card is always just a field, never a full frame, when you're paused. Only in play you get the whole resolution of the full interlaced frames. This is unacceptable for grading work which, as we all know, consists of hours and hours looking at paused moving pictures. I suggest a "Premiere like" approach, with the ability of displaying first field, second field or both fields. The goal of improving interlaced processing in DR17 is welcome, but one must properly see and interpret our material.
    4. Another difference from DR16 is that an exported interlaced file from DR17.1 has separated fields as store method in MediaInfo. DR16 stated interleaved fields. I wonder what might be affected by this in subsequent uses for our exported files in other softwares/environments.
MediaInfo_separated_fields.jpg
MediaInfo_separated_fields.jpg (478.24 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

Peter, Dwaine, can we expect BMD to address these issues in 17.2?
Thanks.
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K | Eizo CG2700X
macOS Sonoma | iMac 2020 | Intel i9 | Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB | 64GB RAM

Tomek Cobas

PostWed Mar 31, 2021 3:11 pm

R17.1.1 came out today (I tested on the free windows 10 version).

As far as i can tell. Despite the realese notes stating that there are multipile fixes concerning interlaced timelines. There is no change in Resolve behavoir concerning things that were discussed in this post.

(if someone has diferent results with 17.1.1 - please let us know)

Could we possibly get an update from BMD if the issues discused here are being worked on ?

Rui Branquinho

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 12:01 pm

Tomek Cobas wrote:R17.1.1 came out today (I tested on the free windows 10 version).

As far as i can tell. Despite the realese notes stating that there are multipile fixes concerning interlaced timelines. There is no change in Resolve behavoir concerning things that were discussed in this post.

(if someone has diferent results with 17.1.1 - please let us know)

Could we possibly get an update from BMD if the issues discused here are being worked on ?

Hi.
Just installed DR17.1.1
The issued I mentioned below, new timeline starting at second field of frame zero, is solved. Now, the new timeline starts properly with both fields in the first frame.
Accordingly, timeline scene cut and match frame also work correctly.
As for the displaying of interlaced material in a 50 fields per second timeline, all remains the same. I think this is the new standard to BMD, despite not being consensual at all among us!
The last issue, interleaved vs. separated fields in interlaced exported material, hasn't raised any questions in my first projects.
Thanks.
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K | Eizo CG2700X
macOS Sonoma | iMac 2020 | Intel i9 | Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB | 64GB RAM

Eddie09

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 1:26 pm

Hi Tomek,

I've had this same issue. Have you found a solution?

I import an interlaced MXFOP1A show that is for final delivery into DaVinci to see that it play correctly. File is interlaced and set accordingly. Project is set to the same HD 50i 25 frames. Timeline is set to the same BUT some footage and credits are jittery. GFX or cartoons are also jittery. Import the exact same files into an avid interlaced project, and boom plays perfectly with no issue.

This can only mean DaVinci 17 is interpreting interlaced footage incorrectly or trying to de-interlace it as you mentioned. Which is very frustrating as how can we be sure that the footage is correct before exporting and sending to broadcasters? Really hoping there is a fix for this soon.

movalex

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 5:20 pm

In Resolve 18 once you set the project to be interlaced, it will be correctly set to 50 fields per second.

In the timeline properties you will still see a bit confusing mention of 50 FPS, that is usually read as "frames", but it is actually 'fields'

If you open the timeline settings, you'll see the correct values:

That's basically how you setup interlaced project. Thus if you need fields, there should be no mentions of 25 frames in your settings.

Eddie09

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Thanks for the advise, I’ll update to 18 and see how that goes.

holgerL

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 4:14 pm

DVR 18.1.4 / MacOS 11.7.4 / Desktop Video Setup 12.4

Similar problems here. Feature film for German TV station. All footage filmed in 1080i/50 on Canon C300 and C70.

Project settings generated using dialog "using clip settings to change frame rate..." while dropping the first clip in a clean project.

In the same timeline some of the clips are displayed jittered on the control monitor via SDI / Ultra Studio Express. This is random. Sometimes the same clip plays well, sometimes not.

Field dominance in clip attributes for all clips is Auto - Progressive and in the program viewer and external monitor are what we called "comb artifacts"

After switching to Upper field no more jitter on external monitor but also no "comb artifacts" on external monitor and internal viewer. So far so good. But ist it still interlaced?

Regards.

Holger
screenshot_1.png
screenshot_1.png (400.68 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

screenshot_2_1.jpg
screenshot_2_1.jpg (479.62 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

screenshot_3_1.jpg
screenshot_3_1.jpg (430.58 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve