How do I reference the original .wav files after syncing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Boston

How do I reference the original .wav files after syncing?

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 6:11 pm

I've used timecode to sync my Arri Raw .mxf files to the separately recorded audio .wav files.

How can I access the original audio files associated with my clips?

If I click the "find in media pool" option it will only pull up the .mxf file.

And of course I can use the "reveal synced audio in media pool"

However, for both editing and exporting purposes I will want to be able to treat the linked audio separately from the video. Is there a way for the audio to be referenced in the timeline as the .wav, but still remain linked to the video files.

In terms of UI, I cannot extend the audio when it is synced beyond the length of the video clip, even when the audio clip lasts longer... And I do not want to have to manually replace thousands of clips after I've edited this entire feature film.

Boston

Re: How do I reference the original .wav files after syncing

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 3:00 pm

For anyone out there... I found a workflow that works for my needs. Here is what I do:

1) I autosync or manually sync (when timecode is missing) the RAW footage to the sound.

2) I render out a proxy file in a format that will keep timecode (Prores or DNxHD, etc)

3) I autosync the audio to the proxy media

4) Edit my footage

5) When Picture locked, I select the audio and conform from bins, selecting the raw audio files.

6) I render out a temp video track.

7) In a duplicate timeline I replace the video track, so the only files now referenced are the original audio files and the scratch (temp) video track.

8) Open media manager and export the current timeline by copying all of the original media to a new location.

9) Export audio timeline in the requested format from the audio engineer

What this means is, I can hand off the entire timeline to an audio engineer and they can work on the mix in Pro-tools or the like without any issues, and I can hand them "the entire project" without the video files, making the transfer super easy.

beruangjenggot

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 2:26 am

can you show it how? i've tried to reconfrom but failed.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 7:12 am

In v17 u can now also sync by waveform on the edit page timeline
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

beruangjenggot

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 12:28 pm

No problem with audio sync. Thw problem is how to relink to its original audio after synced. Because after the audio is sykced, it lost its metadata and timecode.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:In v17 u can now also sync by waveform on the edit page timeline

Sahilnayar07

PostSun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 am

Has there been a solution found for this query. This is something even I have been trying to figure :(

Thanks!

circusbrendan

PostThu Apr 28, 2022 9:12 pm

I thought I was having a similar issue, here's the feature I think is intended to solve this:

1. Select the timeline's audio that was synced to the camera files, making sure 'Linked Selection' is disabled so that no video is also selected.

2. Right-click > Conform Lock Enabled - Turn off.

3. Keeping the timeline audio selected, find the original audio files in their bin and select these as well.

4. File > Reconform from Bins. This will bring up a window with multiple options to conform the timeline's audio files that share their synced video clip name back to their original file names.

5. If the audio now seems muted, select all of the relevant audio clips again, right click > clip attributes > Audio > Source Channel > Select appropriate.

Hopefully someone in the future finds this and it's of some help.

MasterJustino

PostMon May 16, 2022 5:09 pm

circusbrendan wrote:I thought I was having a similar issue, here's the feature I think is intended to solve this:

1. Select the timeline's audio that was synced to the camera files, making sure 'Linked Selection' is disabled so that no video is also selected.

2. Right-click > Conform Lock Enabled - Turn off.

3. Keeping the timeline audio selected, find the original audio files in their bin and select these as well.

4. File > Reconform from Bins. This will bring up a window with multiple options to conform the timeline's audio files that share their synced video clip name back to their original file names.

5. If the audio now seems muted, select all of the relevant audio clips again, right click > clip attributes > Audio > Source Channel > Select appropriate.

Hopefully someone in the future finds this and it's of some help.

This sounds like it will solve it! Could you by chance go into a little more detail what you selected in the pop-up window after you selected File > Reconform from Bins?

circusbrendan

PostTue May 17, 2022 7:59 pm

MasterJustino wrote:Could you by chance go into a little more detail what you selected in the pop-up window after you selected File > Reconform from Bins?

I think I must've just left the default Timecode - Source timecode checked because I sort of stumbled across it whilst trying different things to relink, when it worked I didn't want to touch anything else haha.

In the reference manual for Resolve 17 on page 944, the whole reconform from bins command is broken down. Definitely a really useful feature that I'm annoyed I wasn't familiar with before!

lukashd

PostThu Sep 28, 2023 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I have the following situation:
- Video and Audio clips are synced in Resolve based on TC
- Editor worked In Resolve. Film is now picture locked. I want send audio to sound mixer/editors
- How can I reconform from bins referencing the correct shooting day? If only TC is selected for reconfirming it selects a random file with matching timecode (surprise ;-)). Can I add some metadata to my audio and video files in the metadata that can then be accessed for correct reconforming?

Thank you in advance!
DaVinci Resolve 18.6. Studio
macOS 13.4.1 Ventura
Macbook Air M1 ;-)
Blackmagic Ultrastudio Monitor 3G
Eizo CG247X

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Sep 28, 2023 2:35 pm

Is there some reason you can’t also match on filename? I think that’s why you’re getting random relinking.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve