Input sound source missing and crackle/pops in Resolve 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dimsum

Input sound source missing and crackle/pops in Resolve 17

PostSun Mar 07, 2021 10:31 am

Ok, so I contacted the Resolve team, to get some help, but it was Friday late, and they haven't gotten back to me as it's still the weekend. In the meantime, thanks to all the info I can find around the forum, I've managed to resolve my issues, as I need to do some voiceover work urgently. So I thought it would be useful to share with the community my experience in resolving these issues.

I am using Davinci Resolve Studio 17 in Win 10 with RTX 2080, GTX 1070, and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen. My initial problem was that Resolve could not find Scarllett for voiceover work. I've followed a tip from the forum linking to youtube video mentioning that it is useful to go the old windows sound settings (right click volume icon > sounds > recording), and make the desired input device as the default recording device. This little trick made it possible for the patch selector to finally see the Focusrite interface. However, I also have another USB audio interface that Resolve is not seeing, and it would be a lot of extra work to change the default input each time, so still waiting for support from Blackmagic. Scanning from the forums, and this thread, it seems to be a general bug in Resolve 17.

The next issue is all the pops and cracks when recording. I am usually editing 24p HD videos, so it shouldn't be as intense as 4k 30 or 60p, but it seems that being a video editing app, even a simple timeline on a powerful machine takes a lot of resources. Taking a lot of cues from this thread, I made all my 3 displays work from the 1070 gpu, so the RTX 2080 stays free, changed the playback resolution via Playback > Timeline Proxy Mode > Half Resolution, and installed the focusrite official drivers to be able to adjust the buffer to a higher value. I've set the buffer with in the focusrite settings to 512.

Also, I've noticed that if I have Chrome open, especially on youtube, even if nothing is playing, i get some pops/cracks. So I make it practice to close out Chrome, or at least close websites like youtube and then minimise Chrome.

The other two adjustments are :

• in the edit page > viewer > 3 dots menu > uncheck view all frames. This seem to be unchecked by default.
  • and also preferences > system > general > audio processing size. I tried to change it once, but Resolve crashed, so no keeping it on auto. I tried a second time, managed to change it but then I go no input, so it seems to work only on auto. I suspect it may have something to do with the focursrite driver buffer samples

Update: so I am still getting cracks and pops, unfortunately, so now I am recording with the built-in Windows Recorder.
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

dimsum

Re: Input sound source missing and crackle/pops in Resolve 1

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 7:21 am

I've contact the blackmagic support team, and they took a while and got back to me on the issue. They suggested i do a clean install of Davinci resolve with all library/app data folders removed. I followed their advice but it's still crackling, so the issue is still ongoing, and by the looks of it on the forum, I am not the only one.
Win11, RTX 4 series

dimsum

PostTue Apr 06, 2021 5:11 pm

Resolve 17.1.1 seems to be fixing the issues for me, along with relying on the windows driver for Scarlett 2i2 instead of the Focusrite driver. I've posted more info here, in case anyone else is having issues: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=120429&p=748042#p748042
Win11, RTX 4 series

Asher123

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 6:14 pm

dimsum wrote:I've contact the blackmagic support team, and they took a while and got back to me on the issue. They suggested i do a clean install of Davinci resolve with all library/app data folders removed. I followed their advice but it's still crackling, so the issue is still ongoing, and by the looks of it on the forum, I am not the only one.

I have the same problem. I am using Windows 10 and an RME USB Babyface Pro audio interface, and when I record audio from my microphone into Fairlight, I get crackling and digital noise in the recording.

Have you resolved the issue yet by any chance?

Asher123

PostFri Aug 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Davinci Resolve version 17.3 released today with ASIO audio driver support!

IT WORKS and solves all my audio crackling and pop issues! It’s wonderful that ASIO audio drivers have now been included in Davinci Resolve.

For others wanting to get the ASIO driver options available, here are some instructions:

(1) In Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O, set I/O Engine to ASIO, and then save and restart Davinci Resolve.

(2) After Davinci Resolve restarts, go to the Preferences tab again and select your Device under Audio I/O. You can also click on button <Device Config> to configure your ASIO driver.

(3) Uncheck "Automatic speaker configuration"... to manually configure you speakers in the “Monitor Speaker Configuration” area just below.

Now you should be able to make all the settings you need by patching a selected audio channel in Fairlight to the appropriate ASIO audio driver channel.

Return to DaVinci Resolve