DeFlicker Plug In Not Working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt Thela

DeFlicker Plug In Not Working

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 1:28 am

I'm trying to use the Deflicker Plugin on a clip and no matter how i play with the settings, I can't get the flicker to go away.

I uploaded a sample of the clip to Dropbox below if anybody can try to see if they can make it work on there end.

The best I can get is for the flicker to seem to "Slow Down", which seems more distracting.

The original Clip is Prores 444

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kdjjksp1za0q ... rju0a?dl=0

Mike Warren

Re: DeFlicker Plug In Not Working

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 2:23 am

I very much doubt you're going to get anything decent from the deflicker filter. That's a nasty flicker caused by the LED's electronic driver.

LED lights are often a problem with video because they don't have any fade time like older technologies. And they are often driven at a frequency that clashes with video frame rates.

For the future, you will see this in the viewfinder if you look for it, so lower the shutter speed until it goes away, or is at least reduced. The defilcker filter may be able to deal with the remaining flicker if it's slight.

I had to do this just a week ago to deal with some LED stage lights.

I noticed the flicker in your sample was very close to the frame rate so I tried an experiment with 2 copies offset by one frame.

The top copy was cropped to just include the ceiling and set to a composite mode of Lighten.

That sort of helps, but falls apart as the camera moves.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

dorinjj

Re: DeFlicker Plug In Not Working

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 3:20 pm

I use DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1, on a PC with Windows 10, and i discovered that the issue may be related to Edit or Color page when the clip to which the effect (Deflicker) applied is mixed with something else, in my case, with a Fusion Composition clip.

In my timeline i have two tracks, 1st one with my video clip, 2nd one with a Fusion Composition clip which contains a text.
In the Color page i have a single node which contains the Deflicker effect.

I found out that i have to delete the Fusion Composition clip which is above of my video clip in order to make the effect to work.. interesting..

After that, if i try to add again a Fusion Composition clip above of my video clip, the effect remains applied, but then the corrector node looks like a clean node, the "fx" symbol disappears.

Am i doing something wrong?
Are we dealing with a kind of bug?

PS: Deflicker did a decent job, it stil require to be improved (or fixed).

Sample video (without Deflicker applied): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t36MX_ ... sp=sharing
Attachments
fx symbol.png
fx symbol
fx symbol.png (19.59 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
fusion composition clip.png
fusion composition clip
fusion composition clip.png (86.32 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve