Time to go back to FCPX

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

fiveshorts

Time to go back to FCPX

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 4:21 am

I gave it as long as I could. I completed an entire documentary for Netflix. Color reigns supreme. I taught myself everything, including buying every proper course. I bought the superb Ripple Training course on Color Management so I was really up on working spaces and proper workflow. I watched the best teachers. I have a kickass Mac system, meticulously maintained. I even bought a Speed Editor.

FCPX requires roundtripping to Logic to get the mix done. Pain in the ass. FCPX has mediocre color controls and consumer-level color management. Pain in the ass.

But at least it works, it’s fast, it shows audio waveforms, it has a killer proxy workflow, it never crashes, it has the magnetic timeline (which is hard to give up), it has a million 3rd party add-ons (not all of them gimmicks); it has audio roles, proper background rendering, better Frame.oi integration...

I’m going to gamble that Apple upgrades it’s color tools. I’m going to gamble that they fold in a version of Logic by the next big upgrade.

Because Resolve just can’t be trusted when I need to get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Cave

Re: Time to go back to FCPX

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 11:57 am

fiveshorts wrote:Because Resolve just can’t be trusted when I need to get the job done.

Care to explain why? I find Resolve to be VERY reliable.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Tero Ahlfors

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 12:07 pm

I would wager a guess that the hardware isn't up to whatever the OP wants to get done.

John Paines

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Working narrative editors look to be a small portion of Resolve users at this point, so the Edit page feedback is limited and mostly beginner's gripes/confusions.

Why not detail the shortcomings as you see them? If you've been around a while, you'll know: what gets fixed is what gets mentioned the most.

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 12:29 pm

FCP-X is a great editing program. Just different.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Stewart Hemley

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 1:52 pm

No specifics, no details at all of your operating system. No details of what causes the crashes you say you are seeing. I'm not sure what your reason for posting was but forgive me for thinking that this was not a request for help.

wfolta

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 2:16 pm

fiveshorts wrote:I have a kickass Mac system, meticulously maintained. I even bought a Speed Editor.

But at least [FCPX] works, it’s fast, it shows audio waveforms, it has a killer proxy workflow, it never crashes, it has the magnetic timeline (which is hard to give up), it has a million 3rd party add-ons (not all of them gimmicks); it has audio roles, proper background rendering, better Frame.oi integration...

FCPX is nice and I like the magnetic timeline a lot. As you say, its color grading is amateurish at best. (And its color management is simplistic as well.) It isn't more reliable than Resolve for most users, though. Personally, I've experienced the same (high) level of reliability in both, but I've read FCPX users who talk about its unreliability for them. (Resolve can be sketchy on Windows because of it's crazy fragmented GPU market, which of course FCPX doesn't have to deal with.)

I've not seen a useful FCPX add-on that I'd consider using that isn't available in Resolve. Resolve does have "proper" background rendering, and it provides caching/optimizing/freezing options that FCPX can't touch. (Until you master that, though, what FCPX provides out of the box is superior to Resolve's defaults.)

Logic is as far superior to Fairlight as Resolve's Color is to FCPX's color grading. Logic is arguably the best DAW out there. Leaps and bounds ahead of Fairlight, Reaper, etc. But round-tripping totally sucks. Oh, you're also going to round-trip to Motion or After Effects, too. (And Resolve for color grading.)

I've argued for adding audio roles and dynamic audio channels in Resolve. But people strongly disagreed. BMD could go WAY beyond the flexible characteristics of FCPX's magnetic audio. FCPX basically did v1.0 of it (roles and magnetic timeline) and then stopped, and I can see a v2.0 and v3.0 in terms of how dynamic and useful it could be.

The good news is that both Resolve and FCPX are one-time fees and then you get updates. So if Resolve 18 suites your fancy, you can switch back. It doesn't look like FCPX is going to get truly new features any time soon.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 3:41 pm

fiveshorts wrote:it works, it’s fast, it shows audio waveforms, it has a killer proxy workflow, it never crashes
That's how I would describe Resolve.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostMon Mar 15, 2021 5:08 pm

It's a bit like those comments on Youtube saying : I'm unsubscribing
Who cares?

I wish there was more constructive criticism in this post, it would be more beneficial to everyone.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 551.86

fiveshorts

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 5:51 am

Thanks for all the demeaning and insulting and ill-informed responses. Had no idea there were so many self-righteous contributors here.

I didn't include my setup — my bad.
I've been very vocal about the (still unresolved and heavily confirmed) issue of audio waveforms not showing up in resolve. I guess I was pissed that the 17 release was no different. If you'd read the post at all you'd have seen I respectfully praised Resolve for ALL that it's great at. I didn't switch for no reason.

fwiw, I'm running a 2019 iMac i9 with 128Gb ram, SSD internal (not fusion) TB3 connected NVMe raid from OWC that gives my in excess of 3000mb/s. My caches etc are on separate volumes. There's nothing but Resolve on the machine. No other peripherals. And just to get it off my chest, I've been editing commercials, documentaries, music videos and film for 14yrs.

Resolve is slow. FCPX is not. Fusion is slow, but I don't use it so who cares. I could switch to PC, but then I'd have to settle for a... PC. You can always find magnetic timeline haters who have never forgotten the mistake Apple made releasing FCPX too early. But I can guarantee that if Resolve wasn't free ( I bought the Studio version), it would have reverted back to a colorist platform by now. And rightly so.

I have three Ursa Minis, three viewfinders, three monitors, one SSD back, three battery mounts, 8 CF cards, two 6k BMPCCs, an Atem ISO, Mini color panel, seven various interfaces. Don't give me this newbie, patronizing BS.

It's not like I'm a lone voice lamenting Resolve's performance.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 7:03 am

fiveshorts wrote:Thanks for all the demeaning and insulting and ill-informed responses. Had no idea there were so many self-righteous contributors here.

I didn't include my setup — my bad.
I've been very vocal about the (still unresolved and heavily confirmed) issue of audio waveforms not showing up in resolve. I guess I was pissed that the 17 release was no different. If you'd read the post at all you'd have seen I respectfully praised Resolve for ALL that it's great at. I didn't switch for no reason.

fwiw, I'm running a 2019 iMac i9 with 128Gb ram, SSD internal (not fusion) TB3 connected NVMe raid from OWC that gives my in excess of 3000mb/s. My caches etc are on separate volumes. There's nothing but Resolve on the machine. No other peripherals. And just to get it off my chest, I've been editing commercials, documentaries, music videos and film for 14yrs.

Resolve is slow. FCPX is not. Fusion is slow, but I don't use it so who cares. I could switch to PC, but then I'd have to settle for a... PC. You can always find magnetic timeline haters who have never forgotten the mistake Apple made releasing FCPX too early. But I can guarantee that if Resolve wasn't free ( I bought the Studio version), it would have reverted back to a colorist platform by now. And rightly so.

I have three Ursa Minis, three viewfinders, three monitors, one SSD back, three battery mounts, 8 CF cards, two 6k BMPCCs, an Atem ISO, Mini color panel, seven various interfaces. Don't give me this newbie, patronizing BS.

It's not like I'm a lone voice lamenting Resolve's performance.

Hi,

What's the issue with audio waveforms? The audio waveforms are stored inside the folder you configure for your Cache, and by default it's inside the first configured media volume in Preferences. If you have other posts could you please mention them here, so we can investigate.

What's the issue with performance? Could you provide some details so we can investigate.

Also, if you have any crashes, could you please post logs so we can check? Are you on Resolve 17.1?

Thanks,
Rohit
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Leslie Wand

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 7:35 am

curiosity...

does apple get back to you regarding problems?

as a longtime user of vegas there were 'odd' occasions when the developers replied to problems, but i've never encountered the feedback level i've seen from bm, and especially peter, along with their requests for more details / logs when necessary.

in fact, i'm not sure i've ever encountered such 'support' from the developers of any other nle i've used, and that's been most of them at one time or another.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 am

My two cents, knowing both programs:

None of these is 100% stable. Triggering a bug in one of the dark corners is easy in either one and without proper statistics, I would not dare to judge which one is more stable. It might be 'felt stability' because of knowing the program very well.

I can say that DR is generally more stable on Mac than PC for reasons I have already explained elsewhere in this forum (and not because of some general superiority).

Regarding waveforms I can't reproduce that but, they show here all the time. But regarding stability, I have learned in 17.1. to never try to scrub some other area while the cache is still being rendered or getting a crash to the desktop. My cache is on a fast SSD-RAID attached to the computer all the time. And then, from time to time, after closing it for a while, Resolve is crashing on the first start without any message and starting the last project successfully on the second try.

A recent log is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfynkrfve6hsu ... 9.zip?dl=0

P.S. The last line is here because BM is listening. I have long given up to send any bug reports to Apple.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

wfolta

PostTue Mar 23, 2021 12:39 pm

Leslie Wand wrote:in fact, i'm not sure i've ever encountered such 'support' from the developers of any other nle i've used, and that's been most of them at one time or another.

True, BMD is more responsive to Resolve issues than any other program I use. (Exception being software developed basically by one person -- they're the most responsive of all.) I've reported and had fixed probably five or six bugs in 17.X.

Uli Plank wrote:I have learned in 17.1. to never try to scrub some other area while the cache is still being rendered or getting a crash to the desktop. My cache is on a fast SSD-RAID attached to the computer all the time. And then, from time to time, after closing it for a while, Resolve is crashing on the first start without any message and starting the last project successfully on the second try.

I haven't had any crashes to desktop in Resolve 17, even through the betas. Maybe I don't push it hard enough. (I don't do 4K, for example.) And that's with me cheating and having all my media on a SanDisk external flash drive, which I'm pretty sure that BMD discourages. Not saying others don't have problems, but it's been super-stable for me. (Though FCPX is also super-stable for me as well.)
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

fiveshorts

Time to go back to FCPX

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:36 am

Last edited by fiveshorts on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

fiveshorts

Time to go back to FCPX

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:37 am

Hi,

What's the issue with audio waveforms? The audio waveforms are stored inside the folder you configure for your Cache, and by default it's inside the first configured media volume in Preferences. If you have other posts could you please mention them here, so we can investigate.

What's the issue with performance? Could you provide some details so we can investigate.

Also, if you have any crashes, could you please post logs so we can check? Are you on Resolve 17.1?

Thanks,
Rohit

Davinci Resolve 16 | No Audio Waveforms
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Last edited by fiveshorts on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fiveshorts

Time to go back to FCPX

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 am

This has been the subject of numerous threads here. Some had to be started over as they got too long. No one from BMD ever responded to my knowledge.
And yes, I’m using the paid 17.1 studio, and yes the problem still persists.

Leslie Wand

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:01 am

i suffered the no waveform problem, however, simply leaving 16 alone for a couple of hours brought them back. this was on a large project with over 6 hours of interviews. i think i might have caused the problem in the first place by telling resolve to clean up cache ;-(

ymmv
www.lesliewand.com.au
sony ex3, sony a6400

fiveshorts

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:04 am

Yeah, tried all that. Thanks. There have been numerous “solutions”, but the simple fact remains, Resolve takes far, far, far too long to display waveforms ( if it does at all) where others are more or less instantaneous.

But don’t anyone just take my word for it. Read the thread.

IsraEliteMedia

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:10 am

I am a PC user of Studio Resolve. I am working on a large project that has 77 unique broadcast timelines that range in length from :60 up to 28:30. Resolve does not crash unless I start going into Fusion regularly and then things can get dicey.

There are lots of little things that are head-scratchers about a powerful software like Resolve. Easein/Easeout on the Edit timeline. No real Closed Captioning workflow. Fairlight a work in progress. So on and so on but you can't call it unstable IMO.

Erik
SYSTEM SPECS
DR Studio 18.6.6 (2 seats) Win 11 Pro (fully updated)
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K 3.00 GHz
128GB RAM DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Studio Driver 551.86

Erik Davis, IsraEliteMedia--Zichron Yaakov, Israel

Ale_Zakko

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:45 am

fiveshorts wrote:I gave it as long as I could. I completed an entire documentary for Netflix. Color reigns supreme. I taught myself everything, including buying every proper course. I bought the superb Ripple Training course on Color Management so I was really up on working spaces and proper workflow. I watched the best teachers. I have a kickass Mac system, meticulously maintained. I even bought a Speed Editor.

FCPX requires roundtripping to Logic to get the mix done. Pain in the ass. FCPX has mediocre color controls and consumer-level color management. Pain in the ass.

But at least it works, it’s fast, it shows audio waveforms, it has a killer proxy workflow, it never crashes, it has the magnetic timeline (which is hard to give up), it has a million 3rd party add-ons (not all of them gimmicks); it has audio roles, proper background rendering, better Frame.oi integration...

I’m going to gamble that Apple upgrades it’s color tools. I’m going to gamble that they fold in a version of Logic by the next big upgrade.

Because Resolve just can’t be trusted when I need to get the job done.

What else?

jhoepffner

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 am

Hello,
Just sharing my experience with FCPX, DVR and Apple.
30 years using quite exclusively Apple, 20 years using FCP and FCPX, 5 years using DVR.
DVR has some problems, as any software, but the BM team is very involved to solve it with a great curiosity about what is it to be an artist/professional/creator working with image and sound.
When Apple bought Shake, I began to learn it, enjoying it and Bam! no more Shake.
When Apple introduced Colors in FCP Studio, I began to learn it, enjoying it and Bam! no more Colors.
Coming from photography, I adopted Aperture since the begining, with all my collection inside it and Bam! no more Aperture and now, since three years, I struggle to maintain a Mojave MBP only because I have to return to Aperture for some informations on pictures. Apple never try to facilitate the transition to Lightroom, only saying Photo was the great succesor.
When Steve Job was alive, the ecosystem of creators was very important form him and his staff, putting creation stories in front of the Apple website. Now we are only a small marginal historic "faire-valoir" to the shiny iPhone brand.
For many reasons, mainly 3D with Houdini and TouchDesigner, I begun to buy Windows machine and I discovered that OS obsolescence is not mandatory and that you can continue to use an old forgeted software on a brand new machine. Windows is not very fancy but it works and its rock solid.
So, beside the + and - of every software, I am affraid that for any good or bad reason, Apple can throw FCPX and Logic Pro out of the boat. The public of sound and image creators is so thin for them in term of financial view.
BlackMagic, with all their problems and tricks concerning updates etc. is dedicated to us because we, as creators, import them. We are at the core of their brand, they need us. I am not sure that Apple needs me any more.
Perhaps the new M1 processor can be a way to a reborn as the phenix, but as they use daVinci to promote it, I have some doubts about the future of FCPX.
Knowing that, I decided 2 month ago to buy a Windows machine really dedicated to DVR, with processor, graphic card, SSD and raid adapted to my workflow and all is working perfectly with the 17.1. At the moment I work on a project with 30 hours of interview, 4 cameras multicam (iPhone 4K, BMPC 4K, GH3 HD, GH4 HD), 6 soundtracks, directly with the native codecs and all is working smoothly.
For me its not the moment to come back to FCPX!
Please apologize my poor frenchman English.
Jacques
W10 Ryzen7 3800X nVidia 3090 RAM 64 DVR-Fusion Studio 18.6.5 SSD 2To raid0 32To (HD) raid0 8To (SSD)
MSI G65 W10 / RAM 32 nVidia 1070 Intel Core i7-8750H DVR Studio 18.6.5
MBP 15" (2012) OS 10.14.6 RAM 16 nVidia 650M Intell i7 DVR Studio 17.4

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:04 pm

jhoepffner wrote:Windows...works and its rock solid.
My experience as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

wfolta

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:55 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
jhoepffner wrote:Windows...works and its rock solid.
My experience as well.

I think that, in general, Windows problems are not Windows per se. It's the fragmented drivers ecosystem. Nvidia has its series of drivers (and its main customers are gamers with consumer-grade GPUs or Machine Learning with industrial-grade GPUs, not video editors), and AMD also has its series (mainly gamers now, but trying to get back some Machine Learners). Plus many different CPU choices that have less of a visible impact, since we as consumers don't usually see different chipset extensions.

If you are very strict with your Windows setup and don't forge your own path in terms of driver versions, etc, I imagine Resolve/Fusion is robust and stable. On the other hand, almost all of the hard crash stories, GPU VRAM filling stories, etc, etc, I've read about in these forums are Windows machines and are often Windows machines where someone essentially built a nice gaming rig figuring that performance is performance whether games or video.

Not knocking Windows -- Jim's experience speaks for itself. Just saying Windows offers more apparent freedom to customize your machine but with great power...

Timothy Clark

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

I had "now and then" random crashes in Resolve 16, but so far in 17.1, even a few times when I thought it was going to crash it has been totally solid. I've been very impressed.

I've had the Waveform bug once or twice in 17 again, but I've found in my case it has been limited to multicam/compound clips created in version 16 and opened in 17. Sometimes making sure the track types are appropriate for the type of media is warranted too.

Maybe the Mac version is a totally different experience than Windows, but I couldn't agree or disagree as my Macbook pro is too old now to do any meaningful work in Resolve anymore.

Jim Simon

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 5:07 pm

wfolta wrote:...but with great power...
A valid point. I do believe that everyone using software at this level should be able to design, build and maintain their own system.

If you can't do that, stick to Windows Movie Maker.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

wfolta

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
A valid point. I do believe that everyone using software at this level should be able to design, build and maintain their own system.

Or iMovie, even better.

Though I simply do not want to design, build, or maintain my own (hardware) system. And I don't, and it works well. Of course I pay a bit more for that feature, but I'm happy. (And I do a lot more than just video.)

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:25 am

Jim is talking about PCs, Wayne ;-)

I don't build my Macs either, but I know how to maintain them. The design is quite nice as it is.

Leslie Wand

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 am

i have always considered my pc's like i would do cars...

the more you deviate from manufacturer specs, the more likely you are to experience problems, and this is amplified when using oem parts.

my bog standard hp z series pc's have never given me any problems (yes, software used is another matter)

my attempted upgrades to some of my less potent boxes has led to some mysterious blue screens and other instabilities, and a great loss of hair.

i can very well understand the desire to 'ramp-up' the performance of nle's, but when doing so, i recommend researching as widely as possible other peoples success beforehand ;-)

ah, the days of vtr's, vision mixers, etc., when the only upgrade path was to buy another one and not go poking around in the guts of your gvg in the hope of making it do something it wasn't intended to ;-)
www.lesliewand.com.au
sony ex3, sony a6400

Uli Plank

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 4:10 am

Or, if you want a PC, go to a system integrator well-reputed for the specific use and have them take care of it.

wfolta

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 1:41 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Jim is talking about PCs, Wayne ;-)

I don't build my Macs either, but I know how to maintain them. The design is quite nice as it is.

Same here... in fact, I prefer MacBook Pros, which have even fewer (internal) parts I can (or need to) twiddle with. I was a software developer for one of my careers, but now-a-days I'm a consumer who wants things to just work.

John Paines

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Seems a bit extreme.... Build our own Windows system? It certainly helps if you know how to swap out a board or replace a PS, but as necessity, for Resolve or post-production generally?

Not at all. There are off-the-shelf systems from HP, Dell, etc., and any number of online shops which will build to order for small markups. A little luck and you won't need touch the insides for years. Meanwhile, you can edit and grade the movie of the century.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:07 pm

wfolta wrote:I simply do not want to design, build, or maintain my own (hardware) system.
I don't want to change my own flat tires any more. I'm willing to pay someone else to come out and do it for me.

But I can change a tire, if I have to, if my time is short and I can't wait for someone else to come out.

A driver who can't change a flat tire is at a disadvantage. Like wise an editor who can't solve system problems is also at a disadvantage.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:11 pm

John Paines wrote:It certainly helps if you know how to swap out a board or replace a PS
That was really my point. You should be able to handle system issues.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

dariobigi

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:13 pm

I went pc years ago when the HP z840 was new. Purchased 365/7/24 support. Worth every penny. Paid for itself many times over. No comparable tower was available. Bang for the buck still doesn’t. Being system/ program agnostic is helpful.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

wfolta

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
wfolta wrote:I simply do not want to design, build, or maintain my own (hardware) system.
I don't want to change my own flat tires any more. I'm willing to pay someone else to come out and do it for me.

But I can change a tire, if I have to, if my time is short and I can't wait for someone else to come out.

A driver who can't change a flat tire is at a disadvantage. Like wise an editor who can't solve system problems is also at a disadvantage.

I agree with your overall sentiment Jim. Though I would add "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" applies in computer systems. (Which is one of the reasons I own what I do.) And my analogy wouldn't be flat tires, but rather overall maintenance. I did it all back in college with my (at the time) 10-year-old used car. I could do little of it now, and have little need of it now as well.

At the same time, the majority of cries for help in these forums are from folks who really don't know how to diagnose problems or even to clearly explain their symptoms, much less fix them. That's usually my main contribution: getting people to be clear about what they're experiencing.

Mel Matsuoka

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 7:33 pm

Jim Simon wrote:

I used to think the same...back when I was 19 years old and had all the time in the world to design, build and maintain stuff like this.

What you are saying is the equivalent of saying that a world class pianist should be able to design and build their own grand piano from scratch, by themselves. Not only is it irrelevant to this conversation, it’s a completely myopic view of how real, professional post production artists with real lives, families and client obligations exist and operate.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

dariobigi

Time to go back to FCPX

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:41 pm

A world class pianist can afford a Steinway and have it tuned regularly. Works class colorist, walk into a suite and it’s ready for them.
Recently, on Clubhouse, I heard a top color say how he can break down his gear and move it when needed. But that doesn’t mean he’s building or maintaining his box or calibrating his own monitors.
You do/learn what you have to, to get/achieve your goals.

And for the person who is going back to FCPX, good luck. The history of Apple EOL-ing software and supported hardware is clear and has evolved as their business model. The new tower is now EOL as they design/build a smaller one. They make their money with phones and percentages on apps and music.

I use their products. But not for high end work.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

wfolta

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm

dariobigi wrote:And for the person who is going back to FCPX, good luck. The history of Apple EOL-ing software and supported hardware is clear and has evolved as their business model.

Apple has done bad things in terms of deprecation, for sure.

Though to be fair, I think they killed things fairly early in the process and FCPX and Logic Pro seem to be well beyond that window. (Though you could argue that FCP7 was a different product than FCPX and they did kill a fairly-long-lived FCP.)

I think the kill things was also in the early Steve Jobs 2.0 days and before their economic heyday, so I'd again say it's less likely to happen now.

But then again, I have FCPX and used FCP for many years, but am currently using Resolve. (And Fairlight doesn't measure up to Logic Pro.)

Steven Williams

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 7:27 pm

dariobigi wrote:I went pc years ago when the HP z840 was new. Purchased 365/7/24 support. Worth every penny. Paid for itself many times over. No comparable tower was available. Bang for the buck still doesn’t. Being system/ program agnostic is helpful.

could not agree more. Apple forced me to buy a pc. My PC workstation is my Pick up Truck, and my M1 MacBookAir just makes me happy ( as well finally allowing me to edit and review on location. Best of both worlds.

jayfro

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:10 pm

I understand the OP's frustrations. I still come across bugs in Resolve that make me scratch my head and I've been a user since version 14. I've been editing full time in Resolve now for just over 2 years but I have a tough time leaving the platform because of Fusion. When you do a good bit of Motion Graphics work having Fusion built in is incredibly helpful.

The bug that I've encountered twice this week that has me scratching my head is the audio "glitch out" that happens after you render your timeline. In the very beginning of the timeline the audio will drop out for about 1/4th of a second and then suddenly resume like nothing happened. This happened to me on a project I rendered today and one that I rendered yesterday. The only fix I've found is to take that same audio section and just cut and paste it directly below the audio that drops out, just on a track below it and then delete the original "dropped audio section". This bug has been going on with Resolve for years, it's remarkable they haven't fixed it yet.

I've taken shots at switching over to Final Cut Pro, but Motion 5 not having any form of dynamic linking has been a bit of inconvenience when it comes to fast turnaround times.

I'm really hoping Black Magic gets their act together with bugs that have been happening for years. I'm using the software for work 40-50 hours a week, I've got a good feel for "how it works". I do find the edit tab snappier on my M1 Mac Mini (16gb) than Final Cut Pro though, so there's something to be said for that.
M2 Macbook Air, 8 core CPU 10 core GPU, 24GB of RAM
Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1

Plotzki

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 9:26 pm

I am used to work on both systems and I have no doubt that FCPX is much more stable. There are certain features on DaVinci that just don't work.
That said, I'm using Davinci right now even with this instabilities because it has by far better color tools, an Audio DAW included and BRAW Support, but FCPX is by far more stable and fast.
Adriano Plotzki
www.youtube.com/hashtagsal
MacBook Air M1 | 8GB | 256 SSD
DaVinci Resolve Studio V17.2.1
Mac OS Bug Sur 11.4

Dhaylen

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 10:25 pm

jayfro wrote:I understand the OP's frustrations.
I still come across bugs in Resolve that make me scratch my head and I've been a user since version 14. I've been editing full time in Resolve now for just over 2 years but I have a tough time leaving the platform because of Fusion.

Funny, you dont have any of the bugs with Fusion?

There are little weird things that 'happen' when Im in Fusion that have both my daughter and I scratching our heads. (She absolutely loves it) But one minute something will work, and the next - have to scrap it and start again.

I really dig Resolve - came back after about 15 years out of the industry and love that everything is in one app - (the cut page - revolutionary...) but, yeah - there are those 'awkward' moments.
(Eventually will start documenting them and posting them - would be nice for a live feedback button in Resolve. ;)

Im guessing you are using the standalone Fusion app? (I have heard some say its more stable than the one integrated in Resolve, currently)

Marc Wielage

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 11:08 pm

dariobigi wrote:I went pc years ago when the HP z840 was new. Purchased 365/7/24 support. Worth every penny. Paid for itself many times over. No comparable tower was available. Bang for the buck still doesn’t. Being system/ program agnostic is helpful.

We looked at both the HP z840 and the HP z8. If we had to go PC, that would be the direction we'd go in.

The 2019 Macs can work, but they're not cheap. I suspect the O.P.'s problems are not related to hardware. A lot depends on workflow, your style of working, and your habits. There are always ways to get by with any program -- it just depends on how many hoops you're willing to jump through. Figuring out the right workflow at the very beginning is critical.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

alb3530

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 4:59 am

fiveshorts wrote:

Davinci Resolve 16 | No Audio Waveforms
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

fiveshorts, can you share some footage where you have no waveforms displayed?

dariobigi

Time to go back to FCPX

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 6:17 am

Marc Wielage wrote:We looked at both the HP z840 and the HP z8. If we had to go PC, that would be the direction we'd go in.

I heard firm HP that they’re putting/doing a G5 chip in the latest z8.
Research it and the timing before you do a new purchase.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Tim Franks

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 9:26 am

Leslie Wand wrote:curiosity...

does apple get back to you regarding problems?

as a longtime user of vegas there were 'odd' occasions when the developers replied to problems, but i've never encountered the feedback level i've seen from bm, and especially peter, along with their requests for more details / logs when necessary.

in fact, i'm not sure i've ever encountered such 'support' from the developers of any other nle i've used, and that's been most of them at one time or another.

Actually yes Apple does get back with you. Also Apple produce services providers in most major locations.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 9:55 am

A G5? Last time I've seen one was in the PowerMac.

AmeDSL

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 10:56 am

On my own experience, i had no issue to switch from FCP to DR Studio in terms of (re)setting my entire workflow, however I was able to experiment some performance issue especially with h264 and h265 422 10 bit files. I know those types of files are intended as delivery format, and may you need to convert all of them (proxy ord optmized files), but despite of this on my M1 Mac FCP is able to manage pretty well all of them (and in terms of time and data savings it's a good deal for me). I asked for help one week ago to BM Customer Care, but no answer yet (that's bad). My doubt is that DR is more oriented to PCs users (where you can find very powerful video cards...for instance) just 'cause he need more raw power (insted of optmization process), but I hope I'm wrong (and my pocket as well) and I want to wait for BM to release the next versions before deciding to go back to FCP.

Plotzki

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 12:32 pm

I will just like to add that I love Davinci Resolve. It is powerful, Blackmagic guys are really committed to users and they give the tools we want. My critic it's just a feedback, I am still using it, but I would love it to be more stable.

I would like to add that sometimes people here in the forums boldly puts like "professional editing" = "huge desktops", but sometimes it is not the case and I think BlackMagic always should look at it too.

I have used to work on huge TV networks in Brazil, then directed several advertisement films for years and for huge Brands like GM, but today I have an Youtube channel living in a boat. In no way I feel like I am "less professional" today. Actually I am making much more money today than I did it on TV networks. Thinks change, they way media is produced and consumed also change, people hours spent on Youtube, the money that flows on it, and the art committed to it is not small... and sometimes be light, agile, using less energy, with tools that work in the field are on the professional side too. The professional tool for me is the one that helps you to told the story better, with the maximum efficiency, keeping your satisfaction as an artist and your bank account happy.
Adriano Plotzki
www.youtube.com/hashtagsal
MacBook Air M1 | 8GB | 256 SSD
DaVinci Resolve Studio V17.2.1
Mac OS Bug Sur 11.4
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve