Audio Tracks Out of Order

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Colton Davie

Audio Tracks Out of Order

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 2:01 am

Hello,

I am using Resolve 17 to sync audio and render ProRes422LT proxies for editing. The camera and audio recorder were timecode synced on set. The location sound mixer provided multitrack audio as individual .wav's following this naming scheme:

For scene 1A, take 1,
"1AT01_1.wav" — Mix L
"1AT01_2.wav" — Mix R
"1AT01_3.wav" — Lav 1
"1AT01_4.wav" — Lav 2
"1AT01_5.wav" — Lav 3
"1AT01_8.wav" — Boom

Pretty straightforward so far. In the Resolve Media Pool, Auto Sync Audio > Based on Timecode synced up the timing of everything flawlessly. However, if I drop the clips into a timeline, the audio tracks are all jumbled up:

This is what the Audio tab of the Clip Attributes looks like when I select one of the synced clips:

As far as I can tell, there is no rhyme or reason to the track order. To keep things organized for editing, I would like the audio tracks to be consistent, so that, for example, track 3 always is Lav 1. I did some searching through the manual and online and found no clues as to why Resolve was jumbling up the tracks, so I rearranged all the audio clips manually in the my "dailies" timeline:

However, when I go to render out the proxies as Individual Clips in the Deliver page, the audio tracks in the resulting files are all jumbled up again.

Since I have already gone through all of the trouble of organizing the audio clips in the Resolve timeline, is there a way to preserve that track order in the rendered clips? Better yet, can Resolve just automatically sort the audio tracks by filename from the get-go? Why is Resolve sorting the audio clips in such a seemingly random fashion?

Thank you for your help!
Colton
DaVinci Resolve 17.0, Build 39
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
1TB SSD

Jim Simon

Re: Audio Tracks Out of Order

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 6:36 pm

Only thought I have is that Resolve is using some metadata in the .wav files for track order, not the naming scheme.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Colton Davie

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 10:04 pm

Thanks Jim, I had that thought as well. Resolve doesn't show any relevant metadata for the .wav's, so I opened a few in Audition and there doesn't seem to be anything in the metadata that would suggest shuffling the track order in this way. In fact, the metadata seems to be properly labeled, with accurate scene and shot #, as well as Channel Index that matches the file name, and appropriate names (i.e. MixL, MixR, Ch01, etc.).

Back in Resolve, I noticed my media pool was sorted by Start TC, and the order of the files matched up with the jumbled order of the synced clips. So I started a new project, sorted the media pool by Clip Name, and reimported everything, which put the tracks in the correct order, at least in the media pool list. I tried Auto Sync Audio > Based on Timecode again, and this time some of the synced clips had the proper track order, but many of them were still seemingly random. If I export the shots as single clips, the track order matches whatever order they were when I dropped the clips into the timeline. Rearranging on the timeline seems to have no effect on the exported file.

I'm stumped as to how Resolve is determining the track order. Is there any way to tell Resolve how to sort the tracks? If I could just make the tracks consistent across all clips, I would be happy. Otherwise editing is going to be a nightmare, trying to determine which track is what mic on a per clip basis.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
1TB SSD

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 5:44 am

Can u post a link or PM to me the source clip and your drp?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Colton Davie

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 5:51 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can u post a link or PM to me the source clip and your drp?

Hi Peter, here is the .drp and one clip and its related audio files (1.5GB): http://openlightpictures.com/temp/Colto ... fOrder.zip

In the timeline I have manually sorted the audio, but when I export, the tracks are shuffled.

Of course the rest of the clips will be offline.

Thanks for taking a look!
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
1TB SSD

Colton Davie

PostThu May 06, 2021 12:25 am

To anyone experiencing this issue, I discovered that selecting the audio and video clips directly in the Media Pool, right clicking, and Auto Sync > Based on Timecode maintains the proper audio track order. Thanks to Peter for the clue.

I had been following the instructions in the manual of putting the clips in a common bin, right clicking the bin, and auto syncing from there, which in my case resulted in the jumbled track order.
macOS Catalina 10.15.5
40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB
1TB SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve