Fusion Crashes as soon as I try to track something

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jmalmsten

Fusion Crashes as soon as I try to track something

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 4:09 am

Hi

Today I ran into a strange issue. I am running Resolve v17.1 and have been doing so with little to no issue. Until today. Suddenly. I cannot add anything that tracks a clip in my fusion nodetree. Or rather. I can add a node that should track. But as soon as I press "track". Fusion freezes up completely and I usually have to resort to clicking around to trigger a complete crash to desktop.

I thought it could be a GPU issue. But after a few tries, disabling gpu for the node made no difference. I went ahead and nuked the cache folder (first setting up a new cache folder, restarting resolve, then deleting the old one). That gave me the ability to track one more clip so I could proceed. But... then at the next clip. The exact same issue returned. New clip. Same problem.

I could do this with no problem a couple of days ago. But now. Nope. It simply refuses to track anything. Color tab seems fine. Edit and everything else seems fine. It's just that for some nodes, something seem to trigger something so I cannot track stuff.

I tried camera tracker, point tracker, planar tracker. Same results. I even tried the standard blur node. Worked for a few frames. But then it died just the same way.

If only I had an error message or something. But no. All I have to describe it is... "fusion crashes".

I am on a win 10 machine with a GTX3080 GPU. I did go ahead and download the latest nvidia drivers. And rebooted my machine. No change in results.

I don't even have anything advanced going on in the nodes. It is just mediaIn>planarTracker. And that's it. I attached the log files. I tried poking around in it to see if I could find something but nothing that rings any bells for me.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210319-044923.zip
(190.69 KiB) Downloaded 304 times

Jim Simon

Re: Fusion Crashes as soon as I try to track something

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 pm

"Latest" is insufficiently informative. What driver version for the 3080?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jmalmsten

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 5:14 pm

Jim Simon wrote:"Latest" is insufficiently informative. What driver version for the 3080?

Sorry, the exact version number is 461.92, released march 16 2021.

Though, the problem did start before I updated to that latest version. And I did not do a driver update between fusion working properly to Fusion refusing to work at barely all.

So I am leaning towards it not being a GPU driver issue at all.

jmalmsten

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 5:43 pm

To clarify.

The reason I looked into the GPU side of things was that when the Fusion tab locks up like this. I have no indication that anything has gone wrong. But if I try to change the tracker in any way. I get a prompt (see attached screenshot)

"Are you sure you wish to do this? This operation will cancel the current render!"

FusionRender.PNG
FusionRender.PNG (86 KiB) Viewed 3856 times

So I thought. Ok. Renders are usually GPU related. If it cannot move forward with a render, then maybe the GPU is behaving strangely. But it seems to be a red herring.

Also. If I try to override it with pressing Yes. It changes nothing. I still cannot get the preview windows to update if I move the playhead, I cannot do anything until I sometimes manage to reset the Fusion Comp. But that only gets me back to square one in this endless loop. Usually I have to restart DaVinci completely to get out of this state.

jmalmsten

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 9:18 pm

uploaded a screen recording showing the issue. Includes two crashes one with GPU enabled for the node and one without.

May take a few minutes before it's visibile.

thenickj

PostThu Oct 21, 2021 10:11 pm

I'm having the exact same issue. Resolve freezes as soon as I start the track. Anyone?
Studio Version 18.6.5, Windows 11, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 4080

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 4:06 am

i cant review the logs but if you back up your DB and active projects consider 17.4.. its many months newer than 17.1.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tom Jones

PostWed Jan 19, 2022 8:01 am

Yep exact problem here. Running 2019 Mac Pro with latest version of Resolve. Having all sorts of crashes with tracker on Fusion

WilliamRenner

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 2:44 am

For me it was an issue with the mp4 file.
After I did a render in place to a .mov I was able to use the CameraTracker without issue.

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 8:55 am

What happens if you just re-wrap that MP4? Much faster with a tool like Shutter Encoder (free).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 9:23 am

Uli Plank wrote:What happens if you just re-wrap that MP4? Much faster with a tool like Shutter Encoder (free).

Rewrapped mpeg-4 is still mpeg-4, whatever the container is, encoding will be identical. So decoding will be just as easy/difficult as before.
I do stuff

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 9:24 am

That's true, but he referred to the containers only.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ZRGARDNE

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 1:39 pm

WilliamRenner wrote:For me it was an issue with the mp4 file.
After I did a render in place to a .mov I was able to use the CameraTracker without issue.

I have taken to "render in place" to dnxhr LB (prores for Mac) any file from timeline before bringing into fusion. This will bake in any edits you made on the timeline so they don't need to render as well as all the fusion work.

Of course DNxHR edits much better than h.254/5 too.

Just remember to 'decompose to original' before final export
Last edited by ZRGARDNE on Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

panos_mts

PostSun Feb 20, 2022 1:43 pm

WilliamRenner wrote:For me it was an issue with the mp4 file.
This problem occurs when you have optical flow enabled and is used (or you applied any other temporal effects like temporal noise reduction, deflicker, motion blur etc.)

My guess is that you had a video at different framerate (or retimed) and you had optical enabled, when you used render in place the optical flow baked into the video and no longer used and that's the reason is not crashing anymore when tracking in fusion.

There is a similar thread here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=146525

Vendacious

PostMon Jul 17, 2023 6:34 am

I find it rather depressing that I am having the exact same symptoms, years later. I guess I'll try the workaround.

Sander

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 6:31 am

I can confirm this is still the case as with version 18.5 Turning off deflicker temporarily worked though!

Return to DaVinci Resolve