Fusion Titles Have Black Frames

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robertmitchellphoto

Fusion Titles Have Black Frames

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 4:53 pm

Hard to explain this one exactly, but here goes.

I'm on a Windows 10 PC. Fast and powerful with 64GB RAM.

Things typically are buttery smooth with minimal stutter and once things are rendered or in each, there is no stutter.

Now, when I add a Fusion Title to the timeline, it either works fine for a while and then glitches or it's glitching from the get-go.

The glitch is very strange. Sometimes, the animation is smooth but interrupted by black frames here and there. This happens even if the Fusion title is the only thing in the timeline and nothing else is affecting it. Sometimes, I see random frames that have a momentary red bar.

I didn't notice this until I rendered and delivered a video for output. One time, I was playing in Edit or Fusion and it was fine, but when I exported and played the video, the red bear and glitching showed up. Then I went back to the Edit mode and when I played it, the red showed up there too.

There were a few times where I was building a timeline and all was fine throughout the entire process and then out of nowhere the Fusion Title began playing with the black frame interruption.

This all happens without any edits to the title. I bring it in to the timeline and don't even change the 'Sample Text'. Once the problem kicks in, it remains and even deleting the fusion title and adding it again doesn't help.

If I start a new project and add the fusion title, it works fine, but at some point it begins to glitch, and I'v even locked the clip so I can't accidentally edit or create a problem. When I look at keyframes, I can't see the problem.

Anyone else see this or have an idea of what causes it to happen?

Jim Simon

Re: Fusion Titles Have Black Frames

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:05 pm

The only idea I have is a bad GPU driver causing a render failure.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

robertmitchellphoto

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The only idea I have is a bad GPU driver causing a render failure.

Hi Jim,

But would a bad driver only affect Fusion Titles and nothing else? I recently updated all drivers in my system.

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:10 pm

I can't think of anything else that would cause the reported issue. You're the only one I've seen report it.

I wish I had a better idea for you.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

robertmitchellphoto

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:29 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I can't think of anything else that would cause the reported issue. You're the only one I've seen report it.

I wish I had a better idea for you.

Hmm, ok. I'll go through the drivers again and make sure everything it correct and up to date. Not sure why this would just start out of nowhere.

robertmitchellphoto

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 5:41 pm

I'm inclined to think that it can't be a driver.
I started a new project, new timeline and dropped a Fusion Title into the timeline. Playback showed the black frames.

The reason it can't be a driver or having anything to do with render is that if I go frame by frame through the fusion clip, I can see the one or two times when it has a black frame. I'm not asking it to render or export. Just advancing or going back a frame at a time and the black frames are there. This only happens with fusion titles.

Perhaps I should reinstall Resolve 17 Studio.

robertmitchellphoto

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 6:01 pm

One more update. It seems that it's only a handful of Fusion Titles that create the problem. Most of them seem to work fine. I'll continue testing to see if I can make any more sense of it.

Is there a way to keep the application installed and only replace the Fusion effects?

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 6:16 pm

I don't think so.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Mike Warren

PostSat Mar 20, 2021 10:48 pm

I've had so many problems with the Fusion built into Resolve that I've been scared to use it for well over a year. I use stand alone Fusion, or more often After Effects.

I love the idea of the built-in Fusion, but probably won't be trying it again until I start to see fewer reports of people having all sorts of weird problems with it.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

messiah-resolve

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 12:06 am

This happens when you create (for example) a 6-second title template with "Keyframe Stretcher" and then you try to use the template 5 seconds long.
the black in the and also can happen with different Timeline frame rates.

Try to make the title longer.

bclontz

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 12:48 am

I have been experiencing something kind of similar, but different.
When I use fusion, even just something very simple like a transform node, I will randomly see a red tint on a random frame of the clip when I play it back in the edit page. Going back into the fusion page and making any sort of adjustment will fix the issue. I've upgraded every component of my pc except the video card, reinstalled windows and resolve, and tried multiple versions of gpu drivers. I think this started happening with resolve 17, because I don't recall ever seeing the issue in 16. I'm not sure if my issue is related to yours, but it sounded fairly similar to what I have been experiencing.

Return to DaVinci Resolve