HDMI 5.1 Monitoring

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean Paul Sneider

HDMI 5.1 Monitoring

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi,

I am trying to get 5.1 out of HDMI on a decklink extreme 12G. This far I can get only stereo signal on windows.

The closest guide I found is:
https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/comm/D ... t+Settings
here it sets the computer as allowing 5.1, and I am on windows I am locked to 2.0.
So when i move to patch signal I only have stereo.

If, as here, I try configure the decklink as 5.1
https://appuals.com/how-to-configure-an ... indows-10/
It only gives me the mono or stereo option.
Is there a known workaround?

mpetech

Re: HDMI 5.1 Monitoring

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 4:35 pm

I'm curious...
How are you doing it and what is the signal flow? Going to a 5.1 receiver? Can it take 5.1 PCM audio?

Jean Paul Sneider

PostWed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Resolve -> Decklink -> Dolby CP950 -> Crown Amplifier -> JBL

mpetech

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:15 am

Jean Paul Sneider wrote:Resolve -> Decklink -> Dolby CP950 -> Crown Amplifier -> JBL

I’m not familiar with the CP950. Is that encoding the signal from PCM to Dolby?
You can send raw multi channel PCM to certain consumer and spit out surround sound.

2D3D4K

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 6:18 am

I know this isn't an answer to your specific question, but I also have a 4K 12g Extreme with the HDMI out connected to an HDR monitor. For surround, I'm going out of an HDMI port on the Nvidia graphic card going into a Yahama AVR reciever. If you have that option, you might want to give it a try. It works.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 9:05 am

2D3D4K wrote:I know this isn't an answer to your specific question, but I also have a 4K 12g Extreme with the HDMI out connected to an HDR monitor. For surround, I'm going out of an HDMI port on the Nvidia graphic card going into a Yahama AVR reciever. If you have that option, you might want to give it a try. It works.

I have hdmi port on the quadro card, I will try with an adaptor cable. Wonder if quadro card output audio!

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Display port to hdmi to cp950 work.
A bit annoyed by this behaviour. Will keep testing to try to find a workaround.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Jean Paul Sneider wrote:Hi,

I am trying to get 5.1 out of HDMI on a decklink extreme 12G. This far I can get only stereo signal on windows.

here it sets the computer as allowing 5.1, and I am on windows I am locked to 2.0.

What is the problem of sending 5.1 out of Decklink HDMI (in Resolve)?
Should work just by using correct settings in Resolve (5.1 bus).
This has nothing to do with Windows.

If you want to use Decklink as Windows audio device then this is very different story.
You should not split video+audio signal. If you start doing this you ask for problems and desync straight away.
If you use Resolve then use video+audio HDMI output from it through BM card.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 2:22 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Jean Paul Sneider wrote:Hi,

What is the problem of sending 5.1 out of Decklink HDMI (in Resolve)?
Should work just by using correct settings in Resolve (5.1 bus).
This has nothing to do with Windows.

If you want to use Decklink as Windows audio device then this is very different story.
You should not split video+audio signal. If you start doing this you ask for problems and desync straight away.
If you use Resolve then use video+audio HDMI output from it through BM card.

Yeah that's the problem. The "should". It doesn't. I tried. Year ago, tried again this year in a new company. Haven't find anyone actually saying that it works.
From my findings it seems like a "gating" problem on Windows side.
I cna set up the and the settings anyway I like but it won't work. I had the same behaviour with the nvidia output until I went into sound-> playback and changed the nvidia output to 5.1. So or windows gates the decklink output or it is falsely advertised to support 5.1 but only stereo. Which I doubt.

About not splitting audio and video, the ims3000 should support de embedding audio from sdi but it seems to be the second thing I find in the ims manual that is not actually true.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 4:30 pm

Well- it's more Resolve issue then.
If you set 5.1 bus then BM card should send 5.1 track over HDMI. The thing is that because it's a broadcast card it may never send 5.1 flagged data, but 6x mono. Maybe this is your issue. You would need something which takes those 6x mono and present over HDMI as proper 5.1 flagged track.

There is no way any Windows settings have direct impact on BM HDMI output when you work with Resolve itself.
BM monitoring in Resolve is OS separated. Resolve sends data to the card, card sends over HDMI. Windows has nothing to do with it.
Only if you try to us BM card as audio device in Windows then it will (and this is why it's not the best way).

kenhui

PostSat Nov 27, 2021 3:32 pm

Hello Jean,

Wondering what's the final result going at the end ?
I am thinking the same upgrade in my studio too
which davinci BM card -> IMS3000 -> CP950 -> AMP
also researching how the 5.1 works.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Ken

Jean Paul Sneider

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi at the moment so many problems....

1) HDMI no way to get a 5.1 out of it.
2) SDI I have a 8 frame delay in audio that I have to jump trhough some pretty unpleasant loops to fix.

Only wya I managed ot make it work so far is to get the audio out of the graphic card via HDMI in the CP950 but every time I restart the CP or the PC i have to set again everything.

I am driving the dolby support to its limits. You might have bette rluck using the IMS3000 as audio processor too buying the appropriate licence but cannot vouce for it.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Dec 14, 2021 3:54 pm

You need to establish what is the problem with BM HDMI audio. Most likely fact that it will be 8 mono channels. Look at HDFury HDMI boxes. Maybe their box can map them into proper 5.1 flagged signal. Talk to them.
Your workarounds sound crazy for such a "simple" problem.
Have you tried talk to BM support?
Ask them if they can flag 5.1 track on HDMI output or is it always 8 (or 2) mono tracks.

Maybe even box like this could solve your problem:
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-G ... B01880ROSE
https://www.amazon.pl/Unocho-Extractor- ... B08668JH8B

all what you need is a box which will pass video and take first 6 HDMI channels and map them as 5.1, so receiver sees a proper 5.1 stream. In case conversion uses fixed order you can do mapping inside Resolve.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostThu Dec 30, 2021 5:14 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:You need to establish what is the problem with BM HDMI audio. Most likely fact that it will be 8 mono channels. Look at HDFury HDMI boxes. Maybe their box can map them into proper 5.1 flagged signal. Talk to them.
Your workarounds sound crazy for such a "simple" problem.
Have you tried talk to BM support?
Ask them if they can flag 5.1 track on HDMI output or is it always 8 (or 2) mono tracks.

Maybe even box like this could solve your problem:
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-G ... B01880ROSE
https://www.amazon.pl/Unocho-Extractor- ... B08668JH8B

all what you need is a box which will pass video and take first 6 HDMI channels and map them as 5.1, so receiver sees a proper 5.1 stream. In case conversion uses fixed order you can do mapping inside Resolve.

Yep I wrote blackmagic, several times, over a long period.
I think I got to the point that when I write an email to software/hardware support service a random employee gets the short straw to have to deal with me. I had software support ask me to let them know if I find a solution, or have me point them out things in their manual. Highlight artificial gates in their software that prevent things that hardware should be able to do and so on...

I would be surprised that the CP can't handle wildtracks, but needs them flagged.
I have a Fury Vertex 2. Will give a look into that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve