resolve gets stuck rendering, renders choppy audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kdoole

resolve gets stuck rendering, renders choppy audio

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 3:31 pm

Howdy!

I had a really nice time working with resolve for this latest project, until it totally screwed me by absolutely failing to render.

One problem was that resolve would freeze on certain frames, and completely hang on one frame for maybe hours. I would cancel the render, nothing would happen. then i would force quit resolve. I tried the project on a windows machine, and also on a macbook pro -- same issue both machines. I eventually figured out that if i rendered every single nested timeline in place, then it wouldn't hang.

Additionally, it was never clear to me that setting timeline resolution to 1/4 had the effect of making any type in the project giant. Obvs this is because the text also gets scaled, which seems pretty pointless. I guess just something the resolve team decided not to address. The effect, though, is that i would start resolve, and because the playback resolution resets itself on startup, my text would suddenly be tiny. I'd be like, "oh, what happened?" then fix the text. Then, eventually i'd need 1/4 playback resolution, so i'd set that. Eventually i'd see text again and it would be huge, so i'd be like, "hmm, what the heck" and then fix it. Annoying! If i happened to be looking at 1/4 playback res before rendering, then the type in the rendered file would actually look different than the type in the deliver tab. Anyway, eventually i figured that part out.

Further, the rendered file's audio would be choppy, almost like a skipping cd. No idea what causes this, but pretty much i had to just keep rendering and re-rendering and rendering-in-place and moving things around until finally the thing rendered,

I know there are topics for the audio issue and the hanging render issue, many of which i explored and tried solutions, none of which fixed my problem. Deeeeeeeeeply disappointed with Resolve 17 studio, and obviously i'm not gonna use it again unless somehow i can be sure it's not gonna totally screw me at the point in time closest to the project deadline. Total disaster! I'm experienced enough with Premiere and After Effects, and have never run into the same issue with them, so not a big deal to switch back, but it's pretty strongly disappointing.

That said, i'd absolutely love it if someone could tell me i just have some setting wrong or whatever, which would fix the rendering issues. I think the timeline resolution changing the size of text should be either fixed, or it should be easier to discover why the text is a different size.

Bleh.

Jim Simon

Re: resolve gets stuck rendering, renders choppy audio

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:48 pm

I've seen issues when using Timeline Proxy Mode, but I couldn't duplicate the text issue here. Whether Off, Half or Quarter, both Text and Text+ titles remained unchanged.

Studio 17.1 for Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:49 pm

On the performance issue, probably the best place to start is with the FAQ. It goes over things for you to try, as well as information we'll need from you if those things fail.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Those things said, the biggest mistake I made after switching from Premiere Pro was thinking that my previous experience meant I could just jump into a new NLE without difficulty.

Nope.

As a new user, your first course of action should be to complete some Resolve training. The Beginner's Guide and Advanced Editing are an excellent groundwork to get you moving smoothly. ;)

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Ron Aerts

PostSat May 08, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi Kevin, I'm running into the same problem. So following.
It's so similar to yours, I could have written the post...
I also get choppy audio from nested timelines. Can't figure it out but a lucky re-re-re-render happens occasionally.
I have a greenscreen project with nested timelines used in a multicam timeline won't render. However, even a single timeline with only 1 .braw file with chromakey on top of a photo, just stops rendering after a short time.
Now here is the thing: In my home studio I use an older, slower windows system and on that machine it renders fine (but nearly twice as slow). It must be a system related thing I guess.
tried updating GPU, re-installing resolve etc. no go so far
Have you found anything yet?
Strongbox W10 64/dual Xeon 2,6M/48-core/64Gb/dual GTX2080Ti/Fairlight Audio Accelerator

Return to DaVinci Resolve