Transcode Media Audio Sample Rate Change?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EricRonin

Transcode Media Audio Sample Rate Change?

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 11:53 pm

Ok so, I recently found out about the ability to transcode clips to lower the resolution and use the link proxy, which will let me edit smoother rather than editing with these 1440p videos which can make things get laggy when i'm doing a lot. The problem is, you can't change the sample rate of the audio. So even though the original clip is 44.1khz, all transcoded media seems to be at 48khs. And so when i link proxy, the audio is now way out of sync and is pitched down.

Is there any way within Resolve to change the audio sample rate for the clips i'm transcoding? Or even in general within Resolve??

Jim Simon

Re: Transcode Media Audio Sample Rate Change?

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:34 pm

Just use the new Proxy process built right into Resolve. It works very well.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 4240010000
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

EricRonin

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 2:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Just use the new Proxy process built right into Resolve. It works very well.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 4240010000

I just tried, and it STILL shifts the pitch of the audio and throws it out of sync. They need to give the option to pick the settings for the transcodes sample rate cause i think that's the problem with it getting all weird.

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 27, 2021 4:24 pm

I use CD material (44.1) all the time in a 48 kHz timeline. Doing so has never resulted in slower or pitch shifted playback, so...I'm not thinking that's the cause here.

Are you able to share a problem clip?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

EricRonin

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 5:15 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I use CD material (44.1) all the time in a 48 kHz timeline. Doing so has never resulted in slower or pitch shifted playback, so...I'm not thinking that's the cause here.

Are you able to share a problem clip?

I don't have much to post, but I just noticed something weird. So, i did create proxy media thing again, but this time i browsed to the folder it saved that media to. When I play the video normally from there in my media player, the audio is perfectly fine! AND if i drag and drop that file directly into Resolve on it's own, again the audio works perfectly. It only pitch shifts if i try to use the link proxy, or if i try to change source of the clip. I have no idea why its doing that, but i may just have to go old school and do the proxy render, but then manually edit with the proxy file and simply replace the file itself which will update Resolve with the new clip that's already been cut up and edited.

I still don't get why Resolve is doing this weird sync issue though.

Jim Simon

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 10:06 pm

That's why I was asking if you could share a clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

EricRonin

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That's why I was asking if you could share a clip.

Lemme see if I can screen capture the issue happening. I'll update once i have some footage

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Won't do. I need the actual clip for testing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

EricRonin

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Won't do. I need the actual clip for testing.

Oh you wanted the actual clip like that, my bad i mistook what you said. Hmm, it's a 12gb file so that may be difficult to share. I used OBS to record my screen as i played a game, while also recording the game audio and mic audio as two separate tracks. I don't even think i have enough space in google drive to upload the whole thing tbh

Jim Simon

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 11:27 pm

OK, your source material is likely the problem here.

I always recommend hardware recorders for screen capture you intend to edit. They typically offer editing friendly options like DNx and ProRes, whereas software normally doesn't.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ideoassist
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

EricRonin

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 pm

Jim Simon wrote:OK, your source material is likely the problem here.

I always recommend hardware recorders for screen capture you intend to edit. They typically offer editing friendly options like DNx and ProRes, whereas software normally doesn't.

That seems like a really iffy option. I'd rather use OBS to record my gameplay, ya know, like 90% of gamers use. OBS is the most widely used software for recording your screen while playing games or even doing desktop work, so i consider that a software problem with Resolve if it is gonna have issues with something that simple. BlackMagic products are expensive, and not worth the money for an individual creating content.

NeoVeo

PostFri May 07, 2021 5:52 pm

I too have noticed the change in pitch when using Proxy files.

It's not a problem for me because I always record the audio separately, treat it using Audacity, and then bring the audio track(s) in and sync it to the video.
In order to sync the audio to the video I always have each Actor do a single clap (I record each Actor's audio separately).

Here's a work around for you if you don't record the audio separately.

What you may try is to bring in the video twice (one over top of the other), then delink the audio of one of the video tracks (the non-proxy one) and simply remove the video portion.
Then all you have to do is mute the proxy video's audio track (or remove it) and voila, the audio is now at it's proper pitch.

I hope this helps.

peterjackson

PostFri May 07, 2021 6:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:OK, your source material is likely the problem here.

OBS is by far the single most popular screen recording app and records ProRes just fine.

Seems like you have a hotkey to shoot this canned response gazillion times a year. How about fixing it to correspond with reality?
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Uli Plank

PostFri May 07, 2021 10:00 pm

You can switch OBS to record in 48 kHz, might be worth a try.
And then, it all depends on how much load there is from other programs while OBS is recording. OBS can record VFR, but you can't always be sure. If you have two machines, use one for recording only and let demanding software run on the other.

P.S. Maybe Jim owns some stocks from a manufacturer of hardware recorders ;-)
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Bettley

PostThu Mar 10, 2022 6:58 pm

The problem persist with the current latest version ( 17.4.5 ).
And to be clear it is impossible to be the cause of the problem any other software than Davinci resolve.

I have a clip shot on gopro. I put it into project. I generate proxy media. Half resolution and H.265.
The original clip audio is OK when played in VLC and in Davinci timeline.
The audio in proxy media clip is OK when played in VLC and in Davinci timeline.

As soon as I link the original clip with proxy media is when Audio rate gets streched. Even tho on both clips audio rate is 48.000kHz.
I can see that even visually with audio wave form in timeline. and a lot of audio at the end just gets cut off.

So far proxies just extended my work on projects instead of reducing it. I sincerely hope this issue will be looked into cause its been way too long.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 12, 2022 2:04 am

I never use H.264/265 for proxies. ProRes 422 Proxy or DNxHR LB are far less problematic.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Charles Bennett

PostSat Mar 12, 2022 11:27 am

Though something I never use, I have just tried creating a Proxy file from a clip. When creating the Proxy it does indeed bake in a sample rate conversion from 44.1 to 48k. Whether this is a bug or by design I cannot say, but there is the root of your problem.
Attachments
Proxy Audio Differences.jpg
Proxy Audio Differences.jpg (216 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Return to DaVinci Resolve