PC crash when previewing with optical flow retime

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

noc9109

PC crash when previewing with optical flow retime

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 2:59 am

Gigabyte RTX3090 Gaming
32G RAM @3200 frequency
Intel X299 10940X
Samsung 970 pro SSD

issue: whenever I choose to preview any clips with opticflow retiming option, my pc goes black screen in no more than 3~5 seconds (like, black screen and all the fans boost to max speed, has to press and hold power botton to shut it down). I have tried 6 different Nvida Studio driver from last October to the newest one, tried Davinci 17 beta 5, 17.0 and 17.1, same issue still exists

to reproduce the issue: preview timeline with opticalflow retim option on,without render caches, with any other setting (motion range, etc etc), in new and blank project or any of my previous project with tones of bins and timelines, any clips (the lowest resolution I tried was 720p)

when the issue starts: I was switched from Gigabyte RTX3090 Eagle to Gaming yesterday due to hardware malfunctioning, and I can 100% confirm that on 3090 Eagle, optical flow was 100% working ever since Davinci 16.

log files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
note: I'm not sure if log containing any clues, since my computer goes blackscreen almost right away

Jim Simon

Re: PC crash when previewing with optical flow retime

PostSun Mar 28, 2021 3:00 pm

That does sound like a driver or hardware failure.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sacco_Belmonte

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 12:45 am

STRIX 570XE / 5900X / 64GB RAM / 3090 / Great cooling.

I have been having problems with Davinci Resolve if I use the normal gaming NVidia drivers as opposed to the Studio Driver.

Typically it goes bonkers and also can cause my screens to go black, I can still blind restart by WIN-X+U+R.

Today I was trying some Noise reduction and all of the sudden my PC just black screened badly and my GPU fans went to 100%. It won't reboot by itself, I could only force it shutdown by holding the power button.

My GPU was not overheating, my CPU usage was low, VRAM usage was also low. This was clearly a problem related either to drivers or Davinci itself.

Just wanted to report here...you're not alone. :)

Timo Teravainen

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 8:31 pm

noc9109 wrote:issue: whenever I choose to preview any clips with opticflow retiming option, my pc goes black screen in no more than 3~5 seconds (like, black screen and all the fans boost to max speed, has to press and hold power botton to shut it down). I have tried 6 different Nvida Studio driver from last October to the newest one, tried Davinci 17 beta 5, 17.0 and 17.1, same issue still exists

Same behaviour with me on two different machines - one PC, one Mac: immediately after changing the Optical Flow setting to Enhanced Better or Time Warp, the screen goes black, fans at full blast and a hard reset is necessary. Doesn't happen every time though.

Computer specs:
Mac Pro 5.1 2x 3.33 Ghz Xeon 6-core, 48GB RAM, RX 580 8GB. Resolve 16.2.7
PC: i9 9900K, 64GB ram, RTX 3080ti 12 GB. Nvidia Studio Driver 462.65. Resolve 16.2.7

_celko

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 9:56 am

Reviving this thread a bit...

Did you guys manage to figure something out about this?
We're having insane issues with this, we have two identical workstations with 3090s. First went dead just two days after receiving it last December (12k braw clip + grade + NR), said it was DOA, and got a new one 2 weeks later.
And I'm writing because the second 3090 just died for the second time (yes, just got it back 2 weeks ago), this time around on an old Sony a6300 full hd clip, with motion blur effect.
During playback (export works fine), the screen would go black, GPU fans up to 100% and power down only possible with the power button.
When I'm fast enough cutting power out it's mostly good and the PC can be restarted, but leave it burning for too long and it's most probably gone. I was doing remote editing today when this happened so I couldn't really power it down at all, and the GPU is now gone, again.

I'd say it's mostly Nvidia at fault here, but it's getting really annoying that Resolve can eat up more resources than there are available.

Any good workarounds found for when we get the card back from the service?

Two identical builds:
ASRock X570 Taichi
AMD Ryzren 9 5950X
Corsair HX1200i PSU
64GB Ram
Couple of M.2 SSDs
Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC w/ studio drivers (I'd suggest anyone planning on using these for Resolve to shy away from them.)

CougerJoe

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 pm

Type VIEW RELIABILITY HISTORY into windows search bar, go to the date and time of the black screen, click on the incident, it will probably show you hardware fault, and the details will say something suggesting it's your GPU.

If that's so I think it is your fault to fix, whether it's drivers or power supply or it could even be your GPU if you have undervolted it, or overclocked it's memory

_celko

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm not saying it's Resolves fault as this clearly doesn't happen on other GPUs (right now on the RTX 2060 Super Resolve just crashes to desktop). Definitely a GPU fault however it also doesn't happen with other programs I'm using.

I checked the Reliability History and at the time of event (22 October 2021, around 11AM), there's just the Windows has shut down unexpectedly report, with not much additional details.

Nothing was overclocked, everything on factory settings. Happened 3 times in a span of 10 months, so different Studio drivers too. It also happened on two different PCs (although exact same configuration, including the H1200i PSU from Corsair). Might be that some components aren't working together like they should on paper, but I can't really test that as they're identical builds.

I would just suggest anyone using the Gigabyte RTX 3090 OC Gaming to limit the GPU performance/power usage in the Afterburner or something similar. I know that's what I'm going to do first thing when/if the card gets back from RMA.
Attachments
BlackScreen.png
Black Screen + Details
BlackScreen.png (103.4 KiB) Viewed 3994 times

akcivan

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:00 am

Hello,

You guys are not alone ! I bough Gigabyte RTX3080Ti Gaming OC too.

Benchmarked with all softwares, did 3D render tests on Blender. Then i go to Davinci Resolve with Optical Flow project. My card goes dead in seconds

I returned to seller then i got new branded RTX3080Ti Gaming OC, it goes dead again in Davinci Resolve
Then i changed my PSU to 750W to 1000W
MB to B450 Tomahawk Max to ASUS TUF X570 PRO
Formatted my pc.

My 3rd RTX3080Ti Gaming OC just arrived and i put it into my case. It works for 2 weeks, yesterday it start to blackout my screen and GPU fans goes %100... then i said " OMG IT HAPPENS AGAIN " but my pc opened this time.

Everytime i choose Optical Flow - Enhanced Better & Speed Ward, Highly Noise Reduction with Enhanced options. My card goes down.

I bought MSI 3080TI Gaming X Trio today, i will write here what will happen with different GPU.

Specs
Ryzen 7 3700X
Asus TUF X570 PRO
Gigabyte 3080ti Gaming OC
64gb RAM 3600mhz
1000W FSP PRO PSU
Bunch of SSD drives.

_celko

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 11:30 am

Let us know what happens with a different brand.

I set my 3090 to 70% in afterburner and it still died after a month or so... It sits right behind me on the shelf now, waiting to be taken back to service but I don't have the energy to bother with it anymore, running on a 2060 Super now.

RedRider14

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 12:56 pm

FWIW I am running a MSI RTX3080ti SUPRIM in one of our workstations and don't have a problem with Optical Flow... albeit quite slow to render.
Regards Steve
Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz 64GB RAM Windows10
nVidia RTX3080ti Suprim GPU Studio Driver 537.58
Media drive Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Dual 32" monitors + Intensity Shuttle to 46" panel
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Desktop Video 12.4
CEO PostFacility 44yrs

RCModelReviews

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 3:51 pm

A properly designed graphics card with properly written drivers should *never* allow application software to damage it. I'd say the ball rests firmly in NVIDIA's hands on this one. There were reports that a particular game would do this to 3090 cards a while back as well so there's something wrong with either the card design or the drivers.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

akcivan

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 10:11 pm

Hello again everyone.

I bough MSI branded RTX3080ti Gaming X Trio and there is no problem with it. I tried everything; optical flow enhanced better / speed warp & higher noise reduction settings on color tab. ( gaming oc also crushing with highest settings noise reduction too )

Everything is Okay with MSI 3080ti Gaming X Trio ( it runs -7 to -10 C cooler and much more quite). Now im trying to sell my 3080ti Gigabyte gaming oc :geek:

Also there is no issue with my previous Gigabyte RTX2070Super windforce oc too. I will never buy anything from Gigabyte brand anymore.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 10:32 pm

Note there are five different kinds of Optical Flow retiming options:

Standard Faster
Standard Better
Enhanced Faster
Enhanced Better
Speed Warp

Not all of them are stressful. We can generally play all but the latter in real time, maybe a little bit of a lag in 4K. None of them crash our system (2019 Mac Pro). Worst-case scenario, we render-in-place the one Speed Warp shot and then use it for color and final output. (There are cases where "Frame Blend" or "Nearest" are better choices -- it requires some experimentation.)

Normally, we just run the whole session with "Optical Flow / Enhanced Better," and it just works. Speed Warp definitely demands a lot of patience and very powerful hardware, and really only works well for us for short segments, just a handful of indiviual shots. But it does amazing work with that. I think the longest I've used Speed Warp was for a 30 second shot being slowed down to over a minute, and it looked flawless.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 7:12 am

Same here on M1, even if not as fast. Speed Warp is slow, but reliable and it can work wonders.
Sometimes "Standard" can look better than "Enhanced", it all depends on content and motion, and you'll need to experiment.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

akcivan

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 10:01 pm

Latest news:

I updated my motherboard to asus x570 pro model, re-installed windows 10 22H2, i was using MSI 3080ti gaming x trio model but with latest nvidia studio driver and davinci 18 ( not 18.1 tried )

my gigabyte rtx3080ti works normally and i didnt get any issue. I think its solved with drivers and updates.

At the end of the day; I sold my Gigabyte 3080ti gaming oc ( becoz i have already MSI branded )

Return to DaVinci Resolve