No audio from timeline but source viewer audio fine

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pnguyen720

No audio from timeline but source viewer audio fine

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 5:02 pm

Hey guys -

Using 17.1.1 and I'm running into this issue where the timeline audio stops playing (i.e. no sound) but you still get sound if you double click on any of the clips and go into the Source Viewer. If I restart Resolve, the timeline audio returns.

pnguyen720

Re: No audio from timeline but source viewer audio fine

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Ran into this issue again.

Audio playing fine on timeline and then I walked away from my desk for 10 minutes so the editor was just sitting. When I came back and hit play again, I had no timeline audio. All system audio was fine.

I closed out Resolve and restarted it and relaunched the project and it was fine again.

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:38 pm

What's your audio hardware?

What settings do you have for Preferences>System>Video and Audio I/O>Speaker Setup?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

pnguyen720

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm

Please see attached.
Attachments
ResolveAudioSetup.jpg
ResolveAudioSetup.jpg (232.32 KiB) Viewed 10386 times

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:48 pm

OK. I've had this issue myself.

Set things up manually, don't use System Settings. Should be more stable for you.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

pnguyen720

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks, Jim. I'll try switching over to Manual and see if it helps.

pnguyen720

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi again,

Just wanted to report that after switching to Manual, I still see the same issue. And it's the same circumstance... everything is working fine then I get up for my 10 min coffee break and when I come back, the sound is out again.

I restart Resolve and the project and everything is fine.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm

Alright.

The system is properly designed for an editing environment? Meaning all low power states like Sleep or Hibernate are turned off? Nothing like hard drives, monitor or USB is set to turn off, ever?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

pnguyen720

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Alright.

The system is properly designed for an editing environment? Meaning all low power states like Sleep or Hibernate are turned off? Nothing like hard drives, monitor or USB is set to turn off, ever?

Hi again,

I just double checked the Power settings and nothing is enabled to turn off except the monitor at 15 minutes. I guess I could try disabling that and seeing if that causes the problem.

But Resolve is the only program without sound. Everything outside of it is fine and restarting Resolve solves it.

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 1:56 pm

If that doesn't work, the only other idea I have is that an edit system ideally should be dedicated to editing. Don't install any games, email, office, development, security, etc.

The idea is that sometimes programs not required for editing can interfere with the programs that are required for editing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 9:54 am

Phong

Based on your initial symptoms, can you perhaps check a couple of things. Please bear with me if some of them appear too basic - I'm just trying to cover all tracks.

a. In the Fairlight page, can you check if the volume is full and green? If yello, please clear the DIM value.
b. While you're there, can you check if it says "Bus 1 --> Main" under Monitoring?
c. Can you see the waveforms for the clip?
d. If you click File > Close Timeline and create a new timeline by dragging that clip in, does it sound ok?
e. If steps c and d were good, please switch back to your timeline, re-drag the clip from the media pool to a new track - does that work?
f. Lastly, please check if i. the clip is enabled, ii. if the track mute is cleared, and iii. in the mixer section in Fairlight, under Bus Outputs if "Bus1" is enabled.

In an update, after switching outputs, you mentioned that
I get up for my 10 min coffee break and when I come back, the sound is out again.
- does this include the source sound or just the timeline sound? Do any of the monitors have a sound output enabled? Can you share a screenshot of the Windows sound device settings?

Regards
Shrinivas

pnguyen720

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 5:15 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Phong

Based on your initial symptoms, can you perhaps check a couple of things. Please bear with me if some of them appear too basic - I'm just trying to cover all tracks.

a. In the Fairlight page, can you check if the volume is full and green? If yello, please clear the DIM value.
b. While you're there, can you check if it says "Bus 1 --> Main" under Monitoring?
d. If you click File > Close Timeline and create a new timeline by dragging that clip in, does it sound ok?
e. If steps c and d were good, please switch back to your timeline, re-drag the clip from the media pool to a new track - does that work?
f. Lastly, please check if i. the clip is enabled, ii. if the track mute is cleared, and iii. in the mixer section in Fairlight, under Bus Outputs if "Bus1" is enabled.

In an update, after switching outputs, you mentioned that
I get up for my 10 min coffee break and when I come back, the sound is out again.
- does this include the source sound or just the timeline sound? Do any of the monitors have a sound output enabled? Can you share a screenshot of the Windows sound device settings?

Regards
Shrinivas

Hi Shrinivas,
I just had it happen again so this is what I'm seeing.

Yes, I can see all my audio meters moving. I tried clicking the DIM value both ways and it didn't affect it.

I'm not sure where Bus 1 is located. I just have Main 1-> MAIN showing.

Yes

Yes, I just did this and I got audio. After I did that and reopened my main timeline, the sound returned.

I can try this when the sound goes out again.

Track is not muted.

Also, when the sound went out this time, I had no audio on the Source Viewer either. The sound did return once I created a new timeline and dragged in the clip.

Return to DaVinci Resolve