Setting In & Out dims my timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Jones

Setting In & Out dims my timeline

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 9:15 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm on Resolve 17.1.1 and there is an irritation setting where when I set an in & out on my timeline, my whole timeline dims to a murky black, making it difficult to see the footage.

Is there some way to turn this off?

Really distracting.

Thanks in advance,
Robert
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Mac 5.1 2,66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Charles Bennett

Re: Setting In & Out dims my timeline

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm

I only see this on the Deliver page, but the darker, not a murky black, sections are still easy to see. What page are you working in? Is your monitor correctly adjusted?
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

wfolta

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 2:13 pm

Robert Jones wrote:I'm on Resolve 17.1.1 and there is an irritation setting where when I set an in & out on my timeline, my whole timeline dims to a murky black, making it difficult to see the footage.

The part of your timeline outside of the In-Out is dimmed -- at least in Edit. Is your monitor calibrated/adjusted in any way? It shouldn't be murky or black. I'm not aware of a way to turn this off.
Resolve Studio 17 latest, Fusion Studio 17 latest, macOS Big Sur latest, MacBook Pro 2020 64GB RAM and Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB VRAM

brediknight

PostMon Apr 05, 2021 9:05 pm

This happens when you don't have anything selected on the timeline with an In or Out set.

yes. it's annoying, distracting. BMD Different to be different? Dim rest rather than Highlight?

I prefer Premiere and Avid's approach. Highlighting rather than dimming. Avid also puts the In out Markers on the Timeline.

Robert Jones

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 am

brediknight wrote:This happens when you don't have anything selected on the timeline with an In or Out set.

yes. it's annoying, distracting. BMD Different to be different? Dim rest rather than Highlight?

I prefer Premiere and Avid's approach. Highlighting rather than dimming. Avid also puts the In out Markers on the Timeline.

Hello BredKnight,

This is exactly what I am speaking of, it is really is distracting and annoying. My eyes are constantly adjusting to it as a edit

Do know if anyone else has given feedback to Blackmagic about this?

Greetings,
Robert
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Robert Jones

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:50 am

wfolta wrote:
Robert Jones wrote:I'm on Resolve 17.1.1 and there is an irritation setting where when I set an in & out on my timeline, my whole timeline dims to a murky black, making it difficult to see the footage.

The part of your timeline outside of the In-Out is dimmed -- at least in Edit. Is your monitor calibrated/adjusted in any way? It shouldn't be murky or black. I'm not aware of a way to turn this off.

Hello Wlfolta,

The Post from Kight below sums it up what I am talking about.
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Robert Jones

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 11:50 am

Charles Bennett wrote:I only see this on the Deliver page, but the darker, not a murky black, sections are still easy to see. What page are you working in? Is your monitor correctly adjusted?

Hello Charles,

Bred Knight describes the issue I spoke of.
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 2:37 pm

brediknight wrote:I prefer Premiere and Avid's approach.
I like Resolve's method best. Hope it doesn't change.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

GrizzlyAK

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 am

Yeah, I find this VERY annoying. + 1 for at least making this a user preference. I would prefer it NOT do it. I can see the in/out line above just fine. No dimming required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shane Taylor
Owner, Ion Drift Productions
www.iondriftproductions.com

Resolve Studio V17.4 Build 12 Activation Key
Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Audio Interface

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 9:42 am

As far as I know, this is normal behavior. I've never even questioned it.

It only does this on the Deliver page, so I'm not sure I see the problem. On the Edit page -- where you really do need to see the Timeline images all the time -- the In/Out range is just a gray bar above the thumbnails.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Robert Jones

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 10:08 am

Marc Wielage wrote:

As far as I know, this is normal behavior. I've never even questioned it.

It only does this on the Deliver page, so I'm not sure I see the problem. On the Edit page -- where you really do need to see the Timeline images all the time -- the In/Out range is just a gray bar above the thumbnails.

Here you can see what I am talking about. And as far as i can recall, this never use to be dark like this.
https://ibb.co/G2JPnLM
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Andy Evans

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 11:48 am

It does this on the Fairlight page also, makes it a pain to jump around the timeline and edit if you're not changing the in and out points at the same time, like trying to edit in sunglasses.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 12:37 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:It only does this on the Deliver page
I see it on Edit, Fairlight and Deliver.

Hope it continues. It's an excellent visual indicator that In/Out points are set, far more noticeable and useful than just the bar above.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Robert Jones

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 5:55 am

Jim Simon wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:It only does this on the Deliver page
I see it on Edit, Fairlight and Deliver.

Hope it continues. It's an excellent visual indicator that In/Out points are set, far more noticeable and useful than just the bar above.

What would be good for everyone, if there is an option/setting to turn it on or off
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Charles Bennett

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 1:13 pm

If after making an in/out selection you click in the timeline where there is no clip, it will indeed dim the rest of the timeline around it. Just click on any clip in the timeline, or move the playhead, and you are back to a full view.
Attachments
I-O Highlight1.jpg
I-O Highlight1.jpg (371.57 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
I-O Highlight2.jpg
I-O Highlight2.jpg (376.98 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Last edited by Charles Bennett on Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 1:18 pm

I see the dimming as soon as I set an In or Out. Has always worked that way for me.

I like it. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

brediknight

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 11:58 pm

The more and more I try to edit with Resolve, the more this bothers me.
Here is an example. I set and In and Out for a duration I want to cut into.
The rest of the Timeline goes DIM.

I'm hunting for the clips I want to match frame that are already used in the timeline to cut in to the in and out markers I have set. But the timeline is DIM. So it makes it harder to find frames.

In / Out It shouldn't DIM the timeline. It should highlight the section you want just like every other piece of software. Since that is the focus. the Act of DIM in a way, puts focus on the change of the UI which is everything else BUT what you select.

It is like a highlighter that doesn't highlight, but dims the rest of a paragraph.
Or selecting type, but instead of highlighting it, it dims the rest of text with the color, leaving the text alone.

Please give us a user preference setting to change this.
Thx

GrizzlyAK

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 am

Well that sums it up perfectly. :D
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Jim Simon

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 1:35 pm

brediknight wrote:But the timeline is DIM. So it makes it harder to find frames.
Thx
That's not normal. Your display may not be very good, or well calibrated.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

brediknight

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Calibrated EIZO's using Calman.

Not saying I can't find them, but its harder on darker scenes. I would prefer it bold/highlight my In/Out marks and selections rather than dim the rest of the timeline. Since I still want to see incoming or outgoing shots around the marks which might determine the source clip or the part of the source clip to edit into the timeline.

I also think then using color labels on audio waveforms, it makes it hard to see the waveform when dimmed. And the only way to un Dim is to deselect or clear your in/out marks.

I use multiple apps throughout the day, and Resolve is the only one that behaves this way. Its take a moment to recalibrate the brain.

This approach may have been ok for conform, finishing or color since it is shot based, but not editorial when shots are still being searched for and auditioned. It is a legacy approach for Color. but just like modifier keys and the track patching, resolve need to adapt for editorial, and audio.

I think it would be best as a User setting.

GrizzlyAK

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 10:51 pm

Jim Simon wrote:That's not normal. Your display may not be very good, or well calibrated.

You're right it's not normal. My display is calibrated and good (enough), and I agree with brediknight: It should AT LEAST be an option. I'm not sure why BMD thinks they should dim the timeline at all. There is no need since we have the bar at the top marking the In/Out range. When I first experienced this I thought it was SO weird, that is, after I spent several minutes just figuring out WHAT was going on!

Indeed, there are MANY things in the Resolve UI that makes me think the design team at BMD haven't had much experience using modern SW, or they intentionally try to make the UI as unintuitive as humanly possible, just to mess with us. By far, I've never used a piece of SW that is so unintuitive, where, seemingly, all logic is thrown to the wind in the UI design. And I've been using/developing/designing SW since the 80s.

Like the Main Menu items that disappear/reappear (OK for context menus, but NOT on the menu bar - who thought that was a good idea?). Or the various differing options in panels depending on the Page (like the viewers). Or like, why do I have to go to the File menu to create a New Timeline, and NOT the Timeline Menu, where logic indicates is where I would find that option. A Timeline is not a file. And then there are the Keyframe options found in the Mark Menu. I suspect a lot of this is due to developers trying to maintain historical context with the hardware panels, where Keyframes are considered Marks, and are moved by buttons/knobs? Not helpful.

Now that Resolve is the all-inclusive app, I hope BMD spends a little time working on improving integration and UI design and logic to improve the seamless experience before just bolting on new features where ever they can find space.
Shane Taylor

Windows 10 Pro x64
HP Z820, 16 core
32 GB RAM
RTX 2080Ti 11GB
26 TB Storage
OS & Cache on SSD

Robert Jones

PostTue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 am

wfolta wrote:

Yes, I was talking about the part outside the IN & Out.
Ventura 13.5.2
Resolve 18.6.4 Studio
Radeon RX 580 8192 MB
Caldigit Pro HD, 8TB

Return to DaVinci Resolve