Cache location update required

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bigjb3

Cache location update required

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 12:26 am

I'm new to DR and just updated to the newest version of 17 Studio. When I opened the program, I got 3 different notices 1) Cache location update required. Please update the Cache files location in project settings as the current location is offline or inaccessible. F:\\Videos\CacheClip. 2) Stills location update required. F:\\Videos\.gallery. 3) Capture location update required. F:\\Videos\Capture. I see in Working Folders in Project Settings where the location of stills and cache can be found, but not Capture. My current videos are stored in my I drive, and these files are in my F drive. How do I change the locations, and where should I put them so DR can find them? Do I drag them to another location? Why can't DR access them where they are? Do I have to create another folder for each of them?

Mark Foster

Re: Cache location update required

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:43 am

but why not reading the manual?

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 09.41.23.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 09.41.23.jpg (82.01 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

bigjb3

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:16 am

I read the manual but still didn't understand. You're a big help.

Jim Simon

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 1:26 pm

F is internal?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

bigjb3

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 11:03 pm

F is another external drive, which is where I downloaded my videos when I first downloaded the free version. I hope you can help me with this problem.

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 3:17 am

Cache should always be on a fast internal drive, especially under Windows. When space is getting tight, you can alway delete unused cache files.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

oliwend

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 5:48 am

My cache files etc. are stored on an external SSD. I get the same messages if the drive is not connected when opening a project. Is your F drive connected?
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:00 pm

bigjb3 wrote:F is another external drive
Use external drives only for backup and archiving. Always work from internal drives. Databases, cache, media, everything on an internal drive.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 am

Well, it's recommendable, but not mandatory. I admit that it can bee a bit trickier under Windows, since you'll need to care for fixed drive letters.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

bigjb3

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm supposed to get an email when someone responds to my post, but I didn't. Fortunately, I was able to figure out how to move these folders from my external drive to my C drive (SSD). Working fine now.

Giovanni Sico

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 12:39 am

Hi Everyone,

I am also having this same problem but my folders are located on the C: drive SSD. I also get the message for the backup folder.

Nothing I try seems to fix it. I have tried:
- Starting DR at administrator
- Repointing those setting to the folders and saving the project and setting the filter as the default
- Checking access to those folder for my user. They are located under c\user\videos and I am starting dr at that user

I am running Window 10 and DR 17 studio recenting upgraded.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

It seems that if I do not run DR for a while projects wont open, then if I wait long enough, or kill processes and or start / save a new blank project then I seem to get my projects to open again. These message do not stop the project from working but they pop up every time I start me project.

Thank you

Giovanni Sico

PostMon Oct 25, 2021 11:13 pm

Support wrote back to me about this issue for my Windows 10. I had to change options 2 and 3 and then my problem was fixed. Thank you BM support.

Perhaps a few things to double check on his end:

1. In Windows 10, go to Start > Settings > Privacy > File system and make sure Allow apps to access your file system is turned On.

and check that Resolve is not denied access to any of the file systems.

2. And also check that Controlled folder access is Off:

- Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.

- Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.

-Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.

-Switch the Controlled folder access setting to Off.

3. Check that under Settings > Privacy > Videos, that 'Allow apps to access your video library' is turned On.

4. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts and double check that it says Administrator as well.

5. Go to Explorer and right-click the Videos folder, go to Properties, and check that his user has preferably 'Full Control' over this Videos folder.

If it still doesn't work at this point, run a restart and try again,

if it still doesn't work, could he check if changing his cache/capture/backup location to another location like Desktop help?

peterkahan

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 2:20 pm

To resolve the cache, stills, and capture location update issues in DaVinci Resolve 17 Studio, you should go to the "Project Settings" within the software and update the respective folders for cache, stills, and capture to point to the correct locations on your F drive where the files are stored; you may need to create new folders on your F drive if they don't exist, and ensure that DaVinci Resolve has the necessary permissions to access these folders.

LenaLuciia

PostSat Oct 21, 2023 7:07 am

bigjb3 wrote:Thanks everyone for your help. I'm supposed to get an email when someone responds to my post, but I didn't. Fortunately, I was able to figure out how to move these folders from my external drive to my C drive (SSD). Working fine now.
Can you please explain how you solved the problem because I also want to be editing completely off if my external ssd and have the same problems when relinking

Best
LenaLuciia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourmommahasfleas

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 5:57 am

I have just encountered this problem myself, after updating to 18.6.4
Never had this issue previously.

My internal drive is relatively small, so I use my thunderbolt3 Samsung X5 drive (2TB SSD) as my working folder for all cache/proxy folders etc.

In my case (on mac) my working folder was in the root location of the drive, ie /Volumes/X5 Samsung 2TB/DAVINCI WORKING FOLDER

I checked folder permissions, I restarted system, i ejected and remounted the drive, i was going round in circles to no avail. Every time i booted the program I would get the error 'Cache Location Update Required'

My fix was strange and I post this here in case it helps others. Creating a subfolder in my working folder and pointing DaVinci to that for the cache/etc for some reason made the error messages go away. I can't explain why this worked. So now I use /Volumes/X5 Samsung 2TB/DAVINCI WORKING FOLDER/DVR CACHE
DVR (Studio) updated regularly -> Latest version
iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB + Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB
2TB SSD Samsung X5 HD for Cache/Project files

Return to DaVinci Resolve