How do i activate the license key

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pritam11

How do i activate the license key

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:10 am

HI Guys,

I have been using DR free version all these years. DR 16.X. Finally, i decided to take the plunge and bought the license from Adorama --> https://www.adorama.com/bmdvrs.html

Now i want to activate the license. Here are my questions regarding this

> How do i activate the license on the already-installed DR 16.X. I don't want to use DR 17.X yet. I just want to continue using DR 16.X. Will i have to uninstall the free version of 16.X and install the studio version of 16.X ? Please let me know.

> On the similar line, how do i activate the Black Magic Studio.

Thanks
Pritam

danielpanev

Re: How do i activate the license key

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 5:59 am

Hi Pritam,

You cannot activate the free version of DaVinci Resolve - you will need to uninstall it first, download the DaVinci Resolve Studio (the paid one - you can find the installer for 16.X on the support site) and install it. Upon first start it will display a window to enter your key and (with some luck as there we some temporary problems with the licensing server recently) you'll have your Studio up and running.
Of course - you are strongly advised to make a backup of all your projects/databases before ding this, but in my humble experience I've never had any issues with upgrades from v15 to v16 to v17, including all subversions along the way

pritam11

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 3:33 pm

Great , thx for the response and advice Daniel.

Regarding the 2nd question, I think I mis-typed. Actually I intended to ask , How should I activate the license for Black Magic Fusion with the same license ? Do I have to uninstall the free version of fusion and reinstall the paid version , just like DR ?

Thx
Pritam

Mads Johansen

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 4:35 pm

pritam11 wrote:Great , thx for the response and advice Daniel.

Regarding the 2nd question, I think I mis-typed. Actually I intended to ask , How should I activate the license for Black Magic Fusion with the same license ? Do I have to uninstall the free version of fusion and reinstall the paid version , just like DR ?

Thx
Pritam

Yes. Download Fusion Studio and the same key works for Fusion and Davinci (as of version 17). For me the first time I activated I had to type in the Activation Key but since then there's been no issues.

danielpanev

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 6:16 pm

pritam11 wrote:Great , thx for the response and advice Daniel.

Thx
Pritam

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I can remember Fusion Studio introduced Software Key licensing only in v17, so for v16.X you must have a dongle (which will activate the DaVinci Resolve Studio as well, by the way)

Uli Plank

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 am

Correct.
Don't approach Resolve with your expectations from other NLEs! They are all different.
Resolve Studio 17.1.1 and Fusion Studio 17, macOS 10.15.7
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM, 32 GB RAM
2018 Mac mini 16 GB RAM, eGFX Breakway RX 580 MacOS 10.14.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve