out-of-sync audio and video after rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Olimjohn

out-of-sync audio and video after rendering

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:17 am

When I am working within Davinci there is no Sync problems - audio and video is synchronized.
But when I do rander and try to watch my video on TV or Tab or smartphone - the audio and video
out-of--sync.
BUT! When I watching rendered video on PS with help of media player there is no out-of-sync!
What should I do to make my vide и synchronized when played on TV and other devises?

PS
I noticed that video that I use in my project hase a different framerate.
Could it be a cause of problem?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: out-of-sync audio and video after rendering

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 3:55 am

Can u high provide the the Resolve version you are using, and the file type and settings for your render?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Olimjohn

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 10:15 am

I use Davinci Resolve 17.1.1.009
File types - MXF and MP4
For render I use Youtube 720p preset

In my project there is clips from several cameras - all of them has variable sample rate - I start understand that problem is in here.

Olimjohn

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can u high provide the the Resolve version you are using, and the file type and settings for your render?

So what should I do to resolve this problem?

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 2:42 pm

For a professional tool like Resolve, professional media is best.

For consumer media like cell phone or screen capture, a consumer NLE is best. Something like Shotcut or Filmora.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Olimjohn

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 5:57 pm

Jim Simon wrote:For a professional tool like Resolve, professional media is best.

For consumer media like cell phone or screen capture, a consumer NLE is best. Something like Shotcut or Filmora.

Thank you for your answer.
But I am already done all works in DAVINCI. I have beauty picture with the correct colors, I made several FUSION compositions to animate titles and add some FX to my video.
Now I have good video that correct played on PC but have problem vith sound and video synchronization if it shows on TV screen or movile devises.
So what should I do to fix it?

chmedia_berlin

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 7:21 am

hi,
try to recode the content into a format that davinci has no problems with. If the source material is free of issues it should be possible to get an expected result. Samplerate and audio formats should be all the same.
I use ffmpeg as a commandline tool. But there are tools out there that deliver a GUI wrapper that could do the job too.
hope it helps
cheers Christian

Phil999

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm

in a similar thread, Frank Glencairn pointed to a useful tool called Shutter Encoder. He uses it to conform actioncam and smartphone footage for editing in Resolve.

chmedia_berlin

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 11:49 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can u high provide the the Resolve version you are using, and the file type and settings for your render?

I use the latest version 17.1.1. Build 9 on a Mac with Mojave and the Youtube standard profile with AAC (with same with WAV).
Sample Rates are 48Khz 24Bit. I sync the wave to the picture..
Does it have an effect if the computer is running other software (browser,etc) .
I did not experience this in the Version 16. But i slightly changes my process. After all the multicam editing in one timeline i now create a "New Timeline using selected clips", to have everything in an object that i can compose with other edits into a "final for delivery" timeline. Here the audio "pops and click" are introduced ...
Thanks for your support.
Best Christian

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 3:11 am

It's all about your sources, not the Deliver settings. Convert to CFR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 5:46 am

Jim Simon wrote:For a professional tool like Resolve, professional media is best.

I agree, but that has nothing to do with the out-of-sync problem, since I'm seeing that with BRAW too.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

zhanko73

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 12:40 am

Uli Plank wrote:It's all about your sources, not the Deliver settings. Convert to CFR.

Hi,

17,4,3 Build 10, DaVinciResolve Studio (DRS), Linux...
Sources from mobile phone, music from a wav file.

This audio/video sync problem looks like a DRS bug and not a video source file issue.

I have several videos together with a music from a different source.
Rendering output QuickTime with MPEG codec, MPEG4 Video type, however I tried several such as DNxHD codec, without success as I have delay everywhere and only DRS is able to play the rendered file correctly. I even attempted to render with "bypass re-encode when possible" option cleared (so I expected to re-encode everything).
Checked on the same linux and uploaded to youtube and watch on both linux and mobile phone. There the video is behind the audio about 1-1.1 sec.
First I thought I cannot check the exact delay as if I take the same rendered video (with audio slip) and try to play within DRS there is no such issue, everything is as per my plan.
Then I took the VLC player and tried to change the "audio track syncronization" paramter. If I change it with constant 1 sec (or maybe 1.1) then there is no slip in the audio.

I read somewhere the VBR could cause this issues. In that case the 1-1.1 sec delay would not help in the whole video just a part of that, however in my case 1-1.1 delay on audio solved the issue during my test. But I cannot ask everybody to follow this. I would expect to get the same result what I edited and checked several times and DRS is able to play.

Any idea? Are you sure the source file cause issue after the rendering playing everywhere but DRS?

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 2:11 am

It's not about VBR but about VFR (frame rate).
DR is not a good NLE for phone footage, it's made for regular cameras, which always record CFR.
Try LumaFusion.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

cobra427

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 am

Can Handbrake be used to convert vbr to cfr?
Last edited by cobra427 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 am

Shutter Encoder can do it and convert your footage into a more computer-friendly codec too.
In the "Advanced features" section check the box "Conform by:" and set your frame rate in images/seconds.

zhanko73

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:34 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Shutter Encoder can do it and convert your footage into a more computer-friendly codec too.
In the "Advanced features" section check the box "Conform by:" and set your frame rate in images/seconds.

Thank you for the idea.
I chose function as "DNxHD --> 220" and setup the advanced feature as "Conform by: speed to: 30 fps".
A tried with QT animation too as function. I checked this one outside of DRS and I have not experienced delay. So delay mostly in the DRS only.
Also I selected function as "H.264 --> mov" and in bitrate adjustment selected CBR + audio was converted to PCM16Bits (as AAC is unsupported on linux by DRS).

The audio and video are still in the same delay (~1-1.5 sec), the video is faster than the audio.

Nikolas Saratsis

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 1:46 pm

Hello,

Don't say that I understand what problem you are dealing with, but as a matter of interest: Do you say that sound and picture are perfectly in sync when playing back the timeline in Resolve, but they are out of sync by over a second in the rendered file?

Olimjohn

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 7:11 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:Hello,

Don't say that I understand what problem you are dealing with, but as a matter of interest: Do you say that sound and picture are perfectly in sync when playing back the timeline in Resolve, but they are out of sync by over a second in the rendered file?

Yes! Exactly.

zhanko73

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Nikolas Saratsis wrote:Hello,

In a nutshell:
I found the solution here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/issues/1697
In my case the "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio " package had to be installed and all issues gone. And I had to fine tune the video I edited earlier as every cut was made for a constantly 1 second delayed audio so I had to move the sound track about a second.

More details:
So the symptom was very similar, however there were some strange sign like when using jog wheel to check the sound delay compared to the frame did not always gave the same result.
I thought this is related to the raw video and the VBR/CBR problem in my case too as it was mentioned above.

So on linux to work with smartphone video only the AAC sound needs to be converted to PCM which is very fast actually.
For example if the videos (where filename contains mp4) are in the folder called "original" a level bellow, then this will convert the sound and copy to the current (1 level up) folder:
for i in $(ls original/|egrep -i "mp4"); do echo $i; ffmpeg -i original/$i -acodec pcm_s16le -vcodec copy ./$i.mov; done

Thanks for the help. Maybe someone else have this issue also.

_stepbroski_

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 12:35 am

I would recommend saving the project and restarting davinci. Try to avoid going straight to exporting when you are ready to render.

cssinate

PostMon May 08, 2023 3:16 pm

I know this is a late response, but posting it here just in case. I had this issue, and to fix it, I had to make sure that the playback head was at the start of the track (0:00). If I had the playback head any later, the video would start at 0:00 but the audio was starting from wherever the head was.

brownstein

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 2:57 pm

I am having the out of sync when rendered issue...

Media imported was xmf files.

I am exporting to Pro Res HQ

GalanLefont

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 11:52 pm

I had a similar problem with one particular project in DaVinci Resolve 18.6.

(pre-read summary: My timeline was at 29 FPS on editor, but would render at 29.97, causing noticeable audio desynchronization)

I had imported some material from other software through XML and was working with diverse frame rates.

Somehow I managed to make my main timeline 29 FPS, but it would render at 29.97. I really don't know how I caused that, but to fix it, I copied and pasted everything into a new timeline that was actually 29.97.

This created some 1 frame gaps between many clips, which I had to fix one by one. But after that, I was able to render the video normally with no issue.

Except in one particular compound clip, with a fusion composition and timeline inside (the audio "jumped" back during playback) To fix it I rendered the audio from that nested timeline with no video and added it on top on the new-main-timeline.

ceceoster

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 1:49 am

Not sure if this will help, but I was having a similar issue. I changed my rendering output audio settings from Bus 1 (Stereo) to All Tracks. It seems to have fixed my issue. Hope it helps.

Return to DaVinci Resolve