Speed Editor, Slip SRC/DEST keys in Edit Page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jacklib

Speed Editor, Slip SRC/DEST keys in Edit Page

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 1:10 pm

The Slip/SRC and Slip/DEST keys of the Speed Editor do not work in the Edit Page. The 4-up display appears, but the clips cannot be moved. Is this a bug? The other keys IN/OUT, Trim IN/Out, Roll/Slide work normally.

Can the keyboard layout be customized?
iMac Pro 2017, 3,2 GHz 8 Core Xeon W, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, 32 GB RAM, Davinci Resolve Studio

Dave Shortman

Re: Speed Editor, Slip SRC/DEST keys in Edit Page

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 1:13 pm

jacklib wrote:The Slip/SRC and Slip/DEST keys of the Speed Editor do not work in the Edit Page. The 4-up display appears, but the clips cannot be moved. Is this a bug? The other keys IN/OUT, Trim IN/Out, Roll/Slide work normally.

Can the keyboard layout be customized?

The speed editor is for the cut page specifically it's not currently designed to work on the edit page

jacklib

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 pm

That's right, but most keys also work well in the edit page, so what's wrong with using the editor in the edit page as well? If you could configure the keys yourself, it would be great to work with them in the other pages as well.
iMac Pro 2017, 3,2 GHz 8 Core Xeon W, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB, 32 GB RAM, Davinci Resolve Studio

Dave Shortman

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 2:49 pm

Hopefully in time they will extend the functionality to the edit page as well, it would make sense.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 4:51 pm

Dave Shortman wrote:Hopefully in time they will extend the functionality to the edit page as well, it would make sense.

In the early days of the speed editor release, a local Post company that I do some work for had purchased it. I'm not a Cut page person and probably will never be because I can speed through the Edit page much faster and without the dreaded learning curve of the Cut page. So when I tried the Speed Editor with the Edit page, it was not giving me anything that a regular keyboard and mouse could do. In fact, it was more of a hindrance. However, if the keys were just made to work with the edit page, I thought it would be just awesome to buy one.

With it not being available from major resellers for many months now since its inception, I was hoping that over those time there will be firmware updates that will fully integrate itself with the Edit page as well. I don't think it has, and probably never. My reseller called me this morning to inform me that they have it in stock and if I'd like to order. Being that it is just a novel tool for people who can only use it in the Cut page, I'm now thinking if it is still a relevant equipment to purchase because I know I won't be using the Cut page and I already have a Resolve Studio license. Unless it can fully work with the Edit page as well, I'm probably not putting a dime into it.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

jacklib

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 7:26 pm

I really don't understand why you can't configure the speed editor yourself, like any other keyboard? Such restrictions are not user friendly. You can do all your editing in the Edit Page and there is nothing wrong with the Speed Editor supporting that as much as it can. The user should decide where he prefers to work. If Trim In/Out, Roll, Slide, Split and Move work in the Edit Page, then Slip should also work.

Ellory Yu

PostFri Apr 09, 2021 8:01 pm

jacklib wrote:I really don't understand why you can't configure the speed editor yourself, like any other keyboard? Such restrictions are not user friendly. You can do all your editing in the Edit Page and there is nothing wrong with the Speed Editor supporting that as much as it can. The user should decide where he prefers to work. If Trim In/Out, Roll, Slide, Split and Move work in the Edit Page, then Slip should also work.

I have a Contour Shuttle and I have the keys program to do all the above you mentioned plus more in the Edit page. The only thing it does not have are the keys for multicam, which I don't really care for - it's nice to have but not much used. So I don't see the Speed Editor to be of any value and a lot more expensive if I just want to use it on the Edit page. I agree, they should have made the keys configurable and customizable - at least for Resolve alone.
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jeff Brass

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 7:46 am

I hated the cut page,used a shuttle pro 2 for a jog wheel and stream deck pro keys.
Got the speed editor anyway and loved it straightaway.

The jog wheels of the speed editor and the shuttle pro 2 are SO very different. SE wheel is so smooth and fast.

Yeah, I'd love more function in the edit page, but I gotta say the SE jog wheel make the SE a real winner for me.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

jacklib

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 10:18 am

Yes, I really like the jog wheel as well. The SE is very well made, but there is so much unused potential as long as you can't configure it. As it is now, you are forced to constantly switch between SE, keyboard and mouse. It would be so handy if you could also use the jog wheel for zoom in/out in the timeline, for example. I got the SE together with DR Studio. Even if the SE is excellently manufactured and it is very pleasant to work with the jog, I would personally not recommend the SE as long as it is not configurable. I think Blackmagic could easily change that and then you would have a really good product.

SkierEvans

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 1:29 pm

I have both Shuttle ProV2 and the Speed Editor. I use EDIUS , Vegas and Resolve and have the Shuttle set up so it works the same on all the them. But using the Speed Editor on the CUT page does things that are not easy or possible with other solutions. Quickly assembling using Source tape control to see everything and easily dropping sections to the timeline as well as fine trimming becomes something I would now not do without. Why the resistance to using the CUT page it is only a tool like all the other pages. It's only a button push to go between the pages. Each page has its own strengths.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

Jeff Brass

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 pm

jacklib wrote:Yes, I really like the jog wheel as well. The SE is very well made, but there is so much unused potential as long as you can't configure it. As it is now, you are forced to constantly switch between SE, keyboard and mouse. It would be so handy if you could also use the jog wheel for zoom in/out in the timeline, for example. I got the SE together with DR Studio. Even if the SE is excellently manufactured and it is very pleasant to work with the jog, I would personally not recommend the SE as long as it is not configurable. I think Blackmagic could easily change that and then you would have a really good product.

are any of the BMD edit/color controllers configurable?

more functionality would be great, but I guess the more they develop the higher the cost - does it then push it towards the cost of the full edit keyboard?

I'm not sure how much of the SE is replicated in the full edit keyboard, but my guess, like every other manufacturer and business in the world - you want more features, it costs more money. We all do that with the work we produce - A simple piece to cam is cheaper to produce then a a piece with 60 cutaways, transitions etc etc.

jallen0

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 pm

I have the full edit keyboard and it does not translate to the Cut page. Honestly if any keyboard should be fully customizable, it's this one.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Jeff Brass

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 2:30 am

jallen0 wrote:I have the full edit keyboard and it does not translate to the Cut page. Honestly if any keyboard should be fully customizable, it's this one.

that's too bad - if BMD put out a keyboard/controller that was great in both cut and edit I'd be on it straight away.

Rick van den Berg

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 7:13 am

i really think the fairlight desktop editor could be the answer to everything, if BMD wanted

SkierEvans

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 pm

BM make their money from hardware . If they made a cheap do everything keyboard how would they make money ? You get free or really cheap NLE because of the hardware sales. I see no reason why BM shouldn't make a piece of hardware specifically for each page and then more expensive ones that cover more than one page. Nothing in this world is really free. If you want free then you have to put up with the inconveniences. So I think there is an opportunity for BM to come out with a Speed Editor Mark 2 for the edit page, more expensive and also cover the CUT page for example. Or one that covers CUT, Edit and Color pages even more expensive.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Ellory Yu

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 4:02 am

SkierEvans wrote:BM make their money from hardware . If they made a cheap do everything keyboard how would they make money ? You get free or really cheap NLE because of the hardware sales. I see no reason why BM shouldn't make a piece of hardware specifically for each page and then more expensive ones that cover more than one page. Nothing in this world is really free. If you want free then you have to put up with the inconveniences. So I think there is an opportunity for BM to come out with a Speed Editor Mark 2 for the edit page, more expensive and also cover the CUT page for example. Or one that covers CUT, Edit and Color pages even more expensive.

No one is asking for free or cheap. Just reasonable from the standpoint that if it is made to function with a product, like an NLE, make it work for a price that doesn’t nickel and dime to get something from the same product. I’m not trying to argue or debate with some of you because I know this conversation is pointless and just that. But I have to say my peace. Cheers!

SkierEvans

PostMon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

I think the Speed Editor was introduced very specifically for the CUT page and effectively free since it came with the Studio license. I would have accepted that BM made it exclusively for that purpose. Not sure why they did not do this. Everyone is lucky they did not, so do not see the comments of limited value on other pages at all.

Return to DaVinci Resolve