Hardware opinion (project / rendering server)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cschneider

Hardware opinion (project / rendering server)

PostSat Apr 10, 2021 9:10 pm

Dear all,

I'd like to extend my hardware setup. At the moment, I am using my "old" Mac Pro (see signature) to edit in DR. However, I also like to use the possibility to run it on my MacBook Pro (i7, 2.6 GHz, 6 core, Radeon Pro).

Therefore, I am planning to set up a project server. I read that a Mac mini is recommended. However, I am looking for a cheaper solution and was thinking of an Intel NUC (i3, 3.0 GHz) - so something in between a RPi and a Mac mini ;).

Now, I asked myself if it is worth investing more money to have a rendering server, which is more powerful than my MacPro (and better in terms of ventilation than my MacBook). I'd like to run my project server headless with a linux distribution (CentOS or Ubuntu) and have the following questions:
- Can I run DR17 headless from command line WITHOUT an additional license (was promised by Blackmagic in the forum)
- Does the plan above makes sense - an Intel NUC running on linux will, as far as I understand, not have any GPU support and all rendering relies on the CPU. Can it outperform my Mac Pro? Output codec will be h264, input XDCAM or AVCHD
- Does the answer to question 2 changes when installing Windows 10 Pro on the NUC which has Intel Iris graphics? I read (somewhere..) that in this case, the GPU can be used by DR

Thank you for your opinion, best
Christian
Resolve 18.5 (Studio)
Mac Studio

Uli Plank

Re: Hardware opinion (project / rendering server)

PostSun Apr 11, 2021 1:52 am

DR needs a good GPU, without it it's useless.
And then, for the codecs you are using and the kind of output, a Mac mini M1 will outperform your Xeon CPU in the MP since they don't have hardware de- and encoding, while the M1 is very capable in that regard.
I have no idea how far BM got with a headless version.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve