Fairlight Desktop Console alternatives 2021

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rolands Briedis

Fairlight Desktop Console alternatives 2021

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi guys. Now it is the Year 2021. Any info about controller alternatives for Davinci Resolve?
I am also working with Logic Pro X software, So I would like to buy something that can work with both software.
I understand that there will be no 100% compatibility with both Logic Pro X and Davinci Resolve, but would like to know the closest possible options. Because I would like to have only one type of DAW controller on my desk.
I have looked at SSL UF8 and AVID S1, but there is no real feedback about those controllers working with Davinci Resolve Fairlight.
Would like to hear from real-world experiences,
Thanks!

Vit Reiter

Re: Fairlight Desktop Console alternatives 2021

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 10:41 am

No experiences with SSL UF8 and DaVinci Resolve Fairlight?
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Steve Fishwick

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:49 am

I use an Avid Artist Mix and a ShuttlePro. I'm very happy with it - right desktop size and works well with Fairlight, and Avid/Pro Tools of course too, except the scribble strip only shows the track info if you press the buttons in Fairlight. Beware that all midi 3rd party devices are going to be limited in their full feature set with Fairlight. If I was doing serious audio work as opposed to mainly picture work I would definitely save up for the Fairlight console. Can't speak for the S1 but I do know it will be similarly limited in Fairlight.

HG Passen

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:57 am

Hello!

I use Logic Pro X and Fairlight (sometimes also Cubase).
As controller I used the "old" Mackie Control Pro and since a few weeks the very new SSL UF8.
Both controllers work fine with all three programs,
but in fairlight only the faders work well, also the automation with faders.
Play, Stop etc I programmed on the above soft keys of the SSL, they can free programmed with
Keyboard-Shortcuts.
With the Mackie Control itself also the Stop, Play etc functions run.

But the SSL is much smaller, therefore I use it now.
Fairlight has to be installed as MCU (Mackie) or HUI kompatible, I use it in MCU mode, so I can use
the same preferences in the SSL as with Logic.

Normally should every controller with the possibilities of Mackie- or Hui - mode run with fairlight,
I think, also the old Behringer BCF 2000.

I hope, this helps you,

HG

Alexxx

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm

HG Passen wrote:Fairlight has to be installed as MCU (Mackie) or HUI kompatible, I use it in MCU mode, so I can use
the same preferences in the SSL as with Logic.

Hi HG,

How interesting!
I’ve been looking at both the SSL UF8 and UC1 for audio post production on Logic but was curious to see if anyone had had any luck with DVR Fairlight as well, and came across your reply.
So how do you set Fairlight to be in MCU? Sorry if it’s a dumb question. I’m quite new to the program.
Glad to hear that some basic functionalities remain on the SSL.
Would love to explore this a little more with you.

Ale xxx

jallen0

PostTue May 03, 2022 6:54 pm

I am wondering if there is any more recent experience with the SSL UF8, especially with the new updates.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Matt White

PostTue Aug 02, 2022 9:47 pm

We are trying out the SSL UF8.

In SSL 360, we have two DAWs configured for our use. Layer One profile is Cubase, Layer Two is for Resolve so we are trying the Logic profile as a proxy for Resolve, since it is just using the MCU protocol anyway (be interesting to know if picking a different DAW has different benefits in DR). The screenshot below has the MIDI ports set to 5. If you only had one DAW (Resolve), the MIDI I/O would be Port 1.

Screenshot (112).png
Screenshot (112).png (80.15 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

So far, it works as expected: faders, automation, transport... Obviously, not everything on the UF8 works, but it still makes mixing easier.

timewilltell

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 3:10 pm

Matt White wrote:We are trying out the SSL UF8.

In SSL 360, we have two DAWs configured for our use. Layer One profile is Cubase, Layer Two is for Resolve so we are trying the Logic profile as a proxy for Resolve, since it is just using the MCU protocol anyway (be interesting to know if picking a different DAW has different benefits in DR). The screenshot below has the MIDI ports set to 5. If you only had one DAW (Resolve), the MIDI I/O would be Port 1.

Screenshot (112).png

So far, it works as expected: faders, automation, transport... Obviously, not everything on the UF8 works, but it still makes mixing easier.

Hi! Just wanted to know if you've done any more testing on the ssl 360 system and what works and what dosen't. Do the soft keys work? Or are they programmable? :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve