Audio Issue in nested timelines

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

drafeirha

Audio Issue in nested timelines

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I am encountering a strange and very frustrating bug in Davinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1 Build 9.

I am working on a documentary that is over 20 minutes long. In order to keep a clean main timeline, I am editing the different scenes inside their own separate timeline, which I then want to combine in the main timeline to make the final film. When I play back the timeline clips inside the main timeline, the audio skips, as if there were weird jump cuts, when of course there are none.

Now I thought this was merely a playback issue, but turns out these "audio jumps" are rendered out as well. And the audio even jumps from left to right at some places, it's an utter mess.

The audio is also delayed by a few frames. When I put a rendered version of my timeline audio under the audio of the nested timeline, the latter plays about half a second later even though the wave forms line up perfectly.

When I select all the clips inside the nested timeline, put them into a compound clip and use this one in the the main timeline instead of the nested timeline, it seems to work fine. However the problem is that Audio Track effects and volume are not copied into the compound clip, which eliminates my mix when working with compounds.

Has anyone else encountered this issue and is there any solution to it?

Thank you!

Jim Simon

Re: Audio Issue in nested timelines

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

I've seen others report this, but I was never able to duplicate it.

All I can think to suggest is don't nest, Copy/Paste instead.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Constantin Gross

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 12:07 pm

dealyed frame audio in nested timelines still exists in 18 beta

Giacomo Boselli

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi, I am experiencing pretty much the same thing. I shot an interview and I prepared an intro on an different timeline, made a compound clip and copied into the final timeline where the interview was. Added some sfx and rendered. Audio is present in the intro and in the last part of the interview. The sync track is muted in the other part of the clip and only the music track and sfx are ok. Going back into the project I noticed that audio is missing sometimes at the beginning of the interview, sometimes at the end and sometimes you hear the sync track when the playhead hoovers above the intro...
Just upgraded to 18 and issue remains
Resolve Studio 18.0.4
msi GF63 Thin 10SCXR / Win 10
Intel i7-10750H 6 Core CPU, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design, 4GB VRAM GDDR6

DavySilva

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 1:58 pm

I learnt about this issue the hard way possible. I was Exporting a TV series and the client asked to add music to the ST channel. Since I had the stems with the wanted music in the exact place I added it and nested both to create a new L and R. Inside Resolve it played fine and no issues were spotted. However, after exporting the episode we noticed that just in that part a Phasing issue was introduced. I could not believe Resolve couldn't do such a simple job.

Lesson learned here. Never again I will nest audio inside the software.
Online Editor and Colourist.
“Never stop learning because life never stops teaching”

Giacomo Boselli

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 4:09 pm

So the issue is the audio that shouldn't be inside any compound clip?
- I just tried to "decompose in place" the compound clip but it doesn't do any good.
-I also tried to export the timeline in a new project and nothing changed.
-Copying part of the timeline into another timeline (just the interview without compound clip) doesn't help also.
I guess I'll have to it all over again... :(
Resolve Studio 18.0.4
msi GF63 Thin 10SCXR / Win 10
Intel i7-10750H 6 Core CPU, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design, 4GB VRAM GDDR6

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 4:19 pm

i thought it was fixed a while ago but now i'm seeing it again. I'm on 17.4, mac studio m1 ultra. This is why i went back to round-tripping

aurban

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 4:57 am

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue, running Davinci Resolve 18. I created a new timeline, then imported Timeline 1, and the sound crackles and stutters. I'm using a Macbook Pro running M1 and and using Davinci Resolve in native mode. I only have activated 4 plugin that are M1 compatible.
Guess for me currently the only way to get around this is to render each timeline before adding the render as a new clip.
Shame, since I got excited when I heard how Davinci Resolve lets you merge timelines into a new timeline.

Nathan1421

PostWed Jul 19, 2023 7:22 pm

I have a similar problem using latest Resolve Studio 18.1.4 B9 on Windows
I noticed that the "voice iso" effect applied to a track in Fairlight was dissapearing when the timeline was nested in another timeline.
That makes the nesting concept unreliable...

I hope this gets fixed.

twhitworth

PostFri Aug 18, 2023 10:26 pm

Issue is only happening in one of my nested clips

Workaround:

Export audio from original timeline and underlay under the final timeline with all the nested clips.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Aug 19, 2023 1:19 pm

The best workaround I've seen for nested timeline audio issues is to bounce mix to track in the nested timeline and then setup the bounce as the only output from that timeline. This will get picked up in the master timeline and can be processed further without worrying about nested audio processing (which doesn't appear to work very well in Resolve).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve