AAF from Resolve17 not working in Avid or Protools

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

max_papp

AAF from Resolve17 not working in Avid or Protools

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 pm

My workflow: I edit and colour grade in Resolve then deliver a video file and an extra AAF for Soundmixing in Protools at the Broadcast Station.

The last two years this worked fine, upgraded to RESOLVE 17.1.1 on an M1 Mac and AAFs are not working any more. When trying to import them in AVID/Protools the Sound Engineers get a CORE_CONSISTENCY_CHECK_FAILURE Error at some audio files. Each time I render the AAF new the Error is at other files, sometimes there are 5 errors, sometimes 86...

Spend two days now to sort out the bug just to realize that after I build up the same project in Res 16 AAFs are working just fine both on Mac(M1) and on Windows.

It is now too late, the broken AAFs brought me some serious problems with the broadcast station because I could not deliver on time.

Is anyone else having this kind of problem? Any fix?
Thanks.

Kind regards, Max.

Reynaud Venter

Re: AAF from Resolve17 not working in AVID or PROTOOLS

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 7:36 pm

Corrupt MXF files usually produce the “Check Failure” error.

In the video tab of the ProTools preset, disable video and export broadcast wave files. Does the AAF open correctly in Media Composer / ProTools?

Philipp Glaninger

PostThu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm

I have big issues with AVID AAF Files created with the Deliver Page. Mostly with random missing clips. I create a lot of Promotion Videos with a typical duration of 1Minutes and AAF with Handles is used traditionally as an Archive Format in my Company.

I would say that less than 10% of my exports are truly free of issues. There are a lot of clips randomly offline. Often a file that was sliced multiple times would be offline at one cut and online again at the next.

Even Resolve can not find all assets that it created when reimported. It is a big problem for me.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Frank Glencairn

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:20 am

I wasted a whole week on that problem, just to find out, that your sound guy needs to have the latest version of Protools/Avid to make it work.

But in general, it works since Resolve 17.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

max_papp

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Corrupt MXF files usually produce the “Check Failure” error.

In the video tab of the ProTools preset, disable video and export broadcast wave files. Does the AAF open correctly in Media Composer / ProTools?

I know the problem with the corrupt files. I never export the video, wave or PCM creates the same problems.

The broadcaster wants an embedded AAF natively created in Media Composer. (I don't know how you could spot the difference but anyway).

So, if I export an embedded AAF from the Protools deliver page (without video - I always export only the audio tracks) and load it in Media Composer then I get the error of the corrupted clips already during opening/import of the file created in Resolve. (That was the same in Resolve 15, 16)

If I export an AAF with media from the Avid AAF deliver page in Resolve then it will open perfectly in Media Composer but will crash and bring up the CORE_CONSISTENCY_CHECK_FAILURE when I try to save/export it as an embedded AAF with consolidated media. This problem didn't happen with AAFs from Resolve 15,16 but happens now with AAFs from Resolve 17.
But the thing is, which files are corrupt and the amount of corrupted MXFs changes with every single export. So I think Resolve creates the problem during export it's not my original media which is MXF ProRes422.
I also tried to transcode all the media before export into different file formats - this didn't help either.

Frank Glencairn

Re: AAF from Resolve17 not working in Avid or Protools

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 6:35 pm

As I said, the AVID/Protools needs to be the latest version.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

ColinMcT

PostWed Nov 03, 2021 6:33 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:As I said, the AVID/Protools needs to be the latest version.

I'm using the latest version of Davinci 17.4.1 and Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 and the post audio editor needs iXML data included with 4 secs of handles. doesn't work. if I put 0 handles works perfectly!

This is a deal breaker for us, AAF export shouldn't be this stressful.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.4.3
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

ColinMcT

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 6:52 am

its working now as of 17.4.2
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

klyusner1234

PostFri Mar 25, 2022 6:58 pm

Hello,
I’m Having the same issue.
If I’m using 17 and upgrade this problem exporting embedded AAFs will go away?
Thanks!
Dino

ColinMcT

PostSat Mar 26, 2022 12:39 am

klyusner1234 wrote:Hello,
I’m Having the same issue.
If I’m using 17 and upgrade this problem exporting embedded AAFs will go away?
Thanks!
Dino

yes exporting embedded AAF will lose the iXML data.
2019 27" iMac 40gig ram
BM Speed Editor
BM Editor Keyboard
Ultrastudio mini 4K
BM Micro Panel

Return to DaVinci Resolve